Chan: I have shown I can handle pressure by twice defending the world title

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, May 9, 2013.

Do multiple falls/mistakes in a program show that a skater can handle pressure?

Poll closed Jun 9, 2013.
  1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. No

108 vote(s)
    83.1%
  3. Don't Know

7 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

New article on Patrick Chan. Reads:-

In the opinion of many, Denis Ten is the real world champion, and I have a problem in working out how somebody can claim that they can handle pressure when persistently falling and making mistakes on multiple occasions in their programs. Is Chan in denial over just how controversial his 'win' at 2013 Worlds was? I mean, he calls it a successful defence, when in actual fact it was a highly dubious one. And the outcome of the 2012 World Championships was almost as controversial as well. That's not what I would class as 2 successful defences.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

QMI Agency article on Chan's off-ice regimen: http://chealth.canoe.ca/channel_hea...s_id=33548&news_channel_id=159&channel_id=159
    New Q&A with Chan (link is fixed): http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Patrick Chan/8355934/story.html

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  3. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Oh, Patrick. Does he really believe what he's saying? Does he really think his skating in defending his world title has been inspiring? Do sloppy performances show that he's able to handle the pressure or that he's well-trained?

You'd think no skater had ever done off-ice work until Patrick Chan showed them the light.

ETA: Sylvia, the Vancouver Sun link seems to be broken.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I don't think he has a problem with pressure. I think he may have some technique issues by not having a coach. He has always fallen a lot on 3a and I don't think it's pressure related. His success in 2011 was not because Of him dealing with pressure well.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Proustable

Proustable New Member

If Patrick Chan dies, will Maofan start a poll about that?

Chan's comments, as usual, demonstrate a staggering lack of self-awareness that is clinically fascinating to me.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  6. misskarne

misskarne #408

Patrick Chan Discovers Off-Ice Training Helps Shock!

So, er, Patrick, mate, can you hook me up with a journo? I'm dying to tell the world how off-ice training has been helping this little skating nobody for quite some time now...

7. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

He appears to be unaware that Denis trains in California. It's not that far from Calif to Calgary!

8. vodkashot

vodkashot Active Member

:rofl:

I don't know about Denis Ten, but the vast majority of elite competitive skaters (from ALL the disciplines) do extensive off-ice training, from yoga to weight training, etc. Even my old local skating club had off-ice training sessions available to us non-elite skaters. I hope Chan is joking, because surely he can't be THAT oblivious.

9. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I suspect that Patrick is unaware of anything or anyone but himself. At this point in time, I think it is best to block everything he has to say - I would guess that as the build-up to Sochi continues Patrick will say outrageous things not realizing that they are outrageous. If I was in his PR team, I would refuse any media interviews until after Sochi and put him in a bubble.

flutzilla1, halffull, euterpe and 5 others like this.
  10. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

I think Chan was referring to the extent of his off-ice training, not off-ice training in general. From what I've heard his program off the ice is shockingly extensive.

Just my two cents on this; no I don't think that counts as handling pressure well, however he certainly handled pressure in his short program at this years worlds. I personally believe Chan says all these things because he doesn't believe he can handle pressure well himself and he is trying to convince himself by saying that he can over and over again. It's a pretty common thing to do to help confidence, it's just that most of us don't have to do widely publicized interviews.

11. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Whether he can or cant handle the pressure, he is not going to admit to everyone that he cant anyway

12. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Patrick earned his first world title, and was gifted the second and third ones. That is all. Oh yeah you can handle the pressure soo well, because that FS at Worlds this year with those 2 falls, a bad stepout, and a doubled jump combo was just so indicative of a champion. Honestly, I thought Chan deserved to be 7th in the FS and 3rd overall, barely ahead of Hanyu. Javi was better overall. I found it gross how the judges could mark that performance as 2nd best on the night.

13. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I am sure Maofan or JJ or a few other names will! It will be a poll which goes like this:
    1) Did Chan deserve to die? or
    2) Should Chan have died earlier or later? or
    3) Chan should have died XXXXX way and not YYYY way? or
    4) Did Chan suffer on his death bed? or
    5) Do you think Chan should not have died and live for another 10 years?
    ;)

julieann, antmanb, PeterG and 7 others like this.
  14. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Just a little farther, relatively, than Calgary is to Colorado.

15. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

I thought Patrick looked a little heavy at WTT---maybe that's part of the reason for his subpar performance. So much for off-ice training: I'm sure the other skaters were not marveling at his fitness

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. karlon

karlon New Member

I have never felt that his mental is stronger than other top skaters.
    It seemed he was closed to that when 2011 World Championships, but after in two seasons, he has became more inconsistency, his mental is to be more weaker.

his 11-12, 12-13 world titles were.. he made ​​mistakes more than other skaters.
    based on what..? he claim that he has proven his mentality strong himself in the two world titles?

17. Li'Kitsu

Li'Kitsu Active Member

I don't think so. Patrick wasn't the favorite this year, Javi was (and partly Yuzuru). He said himself in an interview that he felt more like the underdog. Last year, when he was the favorite, he was rather tight and it seemed like the pressure got to him. I don't think Patrick is a bad competitor or unable to handle pressure, but to me he's not any better in that regard than the other top men are. As it stands now, I really don't expect him to be clean, or even close to clean, at the olympics.

18. screech

screech Well-Known Member

It's not that close, either. About a 3 hour flight (each way) from LA to Calgary. It's a big trip to take to be assessed by a trainer.

19. Zemgirl

I don't think so. Chan was the two-time world champion, competing in Canada. Of course went in as the favorite. Fernandez was someone many people expected to do well, but he doesn't have a hugely consistent track record.

Stephane Lambiel gave a champion's performance in defense of his title back in 2006. Patrick Chan has skated one good program out of four in his two times defending his title (to his credit, said program was a very strong skate).

There aren't a lot of skaters that have the mental game to be really consistent over time while competing at the highest level. Plushenko does, but his physical condition isn't good enough anymore; and I'd say Yuna Kim for the most part has shown an amazing ability to handle the pressure she's under (which is well beyond anything most skaters have to deal with). Looking at major competitions, Chan has mostly shown his ability to get good marks. This is not the same is skating well under pressure.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  20. karlon

karlon New Member

deleted

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

That's my understanding as well.

22. Zemgirl

By most accounts it's also shockingly expensive ;) Which may be one reason most skaters have gone with other off-ice options.

23. Li'Kitsu

Li'Kitsu Active Member

Erm, his 2012 win wasn't exactly convincing. And it might have been in Canada, but he had lost at Skate Canada this season just as much. He was still a medal favorite and a gold contender, but the majority of people had their money on someone else. You can say that there wasn't a clear favorite, but if there was a favorite, it was definitly not Chan.

And even if, this pressure during the SP won't be close to the pressure he'll probably be under at the next Olympics. So that clean SP is hardly any indication of him being able to handle the olympic pressure.

24. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Chan has never experienced pressure in his life so how would he know how he deals with pressure. Gold medals are engraved with his name before events begin, and he knows it doesnt matter how crappy he skates (Worlds this year, Skate Canada 2010, a ton of other events), he is certain to win. My only question is why the ISU still requires Chan to actually skate at events, as opposed to mailing him out his gold medals. Seems like such an unneccessary nuisance for him to have to actually show up and skate.

25. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

love this post

26. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

He won. He has three gold medals to prove that he handled pressure as much as he needed. To take the top prize. Three times. So there's really no arguments to be made. Simply historical fact.

27. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

Of course c(h)andy baby can handle pressure; he has none. He's well aware he always can count on his judge pals, who never let him down on really important events ... :D

28. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

So the judging is fair in the ladies, pairs and ice dance disciplines, but the eville judges in men's all fawn over Chan like Bruno on Dancing With The Stars? What an enlightening theory.

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  29. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The :EVILLE: Kanadians have already got their :bribe: hold on the ice dance judges, since as we all know V/M are hacks who shouldn't have even passed CanSkate, much less be world champions. But it is a lot of work to fix the results in every discipline, which is why they haven't gotten around to pairs and ladiezzzz yet. But they will, mark my words :sekret: :judge:

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  30. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

^ I hope this is sarcastic lol