Chan best skater ever with 8 Worlds and 2 Olympics

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by chanunderrated, Jun 24, 2013.

?

Chan best skater ever if he wins all World and Olympic to 2018

This poll will close on Mar 20, 2016 at 9:47 PM.
  1. yes

25.9%
  2. no

74.1%
  1. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

Chan plans to skate until the 2018 Olympics. He could well end his career with 2 Olympic Golds and 8 World titles if he wins all the events until that year. That would give him the best record ever. Karl Schafer has 2 Olympic Golds and 7 World titles. Grafstrom has 3 Olympic Golds but only about 3 World titles. Salchow has 10 World titles but only 1 Olympic Gold. Of modern day skaters who most consider best ever that record would be so far above Plushenko, Yagudin, Button, or Browning. So do you consider Chan the best ever if he as expected wins 8 straight Worlds and 2 straight Olympics as he is favored to do.

2. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

It is only 2013 and you are expecting him to stay on top of his game and injury-free until 2018? That is a tall order.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Source link, please?

4. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

Chan has said he wants to shatter the record books so of course he is staying in until 2018, even if he doesnt say the exact words. Plus he has made no indication of retiring soon.

5. Sylvia

Okaaaay.

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Chan is retiring after 2014 Olympics. So the above scenario is impossible. Best case scenario for him is 3 Worlds and Olympic Gold, and only 1 of those Worlds will be viewed even 50 years from now as legit. So no. Personally I think he ends his career with either a 3rd or 4th place in Sochi though which will make him about as well known as say Wolfgang Schwarz or Emmerich Danzer many years from now.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I thought he was retiring after 2014 and would have retired after 2010 if he had won a medal. I don't think that he is the best skater ever even if he wins all that, because a lot of those wins weren't deserved. Even if they were Plushenko would have a case to be made with his three Olympic medals and all his Worlds wins.

8. Proustable

Proustable New Member

No, I don't think he does. Before the Olympics, he said he planned on retiring after Worlds 2010. Before Nice (Worlds 2012), he said he was having issues getting motivated (something his then coach corroborated) and thought of retirement. I'd be floored if he competed at Worlds 2014 let alone Olympics 2018, which jives neither with his actions or words.

If Chan won eight straight worlds and two straight Olympics, yes - I'd argue he'd have a major claim to best ever

I do not agree that he is favoured to do so.

As for records, the one record I recall Chan aiming for the equaling Kwan's national title record, but he'd have to skate (and win) until 2016 to do so.

9. lala

lala Well-Known Member

it would be the death of figure skating.

10. Eyre

Eyre New Member

What a stupid poll?! Just like some Chan detractor has claimed that Chan has 5, 6, or even 10 fall cushions, it's baseless! Next time, bring something reasonable, OK?!:rolleyes:

"Shatter the record books" was refering to the scores, not refering to the length of his skating career. He has said it many times that he will quit skating after 2014 Olympics and go to College. Unless you have some insider info about the change of his mind (looks like you have none), you are just dreaming.:yikes:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  11. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

:rofl:
    And if he doesn't break every record by 2018, he will continue ?

What ? That the best glider ever wins 8 Worlds and 2 Olympic titles ? :confused:

Anyway, this thread makes me confused. Chan barely won last year and this year World titles. So, I don't think it's reasonable to imagine he will never be defeated in the next 5 years ! ;)

12. karlon

karlon New Member

Athletes who won unfair medals the most can not be a legend in their sports.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. EricRohmer

EricRohmer New Member

I hope Chan competes at 2018 Olympics. Because that is P.C Olympics. :D
    Anyways, I am curious where Chan will be positioned in people‘s ranking-book if Chan wins a gold in 2011WC fashion at Sochi.
    In my book Chan is already ranked high.

14. Li'Kitsu

Li'Kitsu Member

I'm seriously irritated if this is supposed to be a troll and joke thread. People who would have wanted to give others some room for bashing again couldn't have done it much better.

Anyway, Chan said he wants to retire after Sochi, and even if he continued, I doubt he'd win that may titles (and I don't think any other skater these days could).

15. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I think the only small chance of Chan continuing is if he didnt win a medal of any color in Sochi. Even a bronze would 100% guarantee him going pro/ending his skating career. Even if he did not win a medal I still think he would be 75% likely atleast to be finished, but it would leave a small possability of him continuing, but in that case I doubt he would even make it to 2018 as his technical skills are already on decline and eventually the field has to improve from what it was the last 4-5 years (IMO the worst ever), and once he wasnt a serious contender anymore he wouldnt go on.

16. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

This poll is to flush out the Chan haters line then up and then .... ready, aim fire!
    Its funny how some people fell for it.

17. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

I will be happy for Chan if he completes the competitions he wishes to participate in and retires after Sochi. I will be SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy for him, and even happier myself.

18. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I reeeeeallly hope that Chan skates until 2018 so we can see how many of the heads of people who post in these threads explode.

:)

19. Sylvia

To the well-meaning person who advised me "Don't waste your time arguing with the troll" - don't worry, I wasn't really arguing. ;)

20. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

Reality, imho, would dictate that any skater capable of winning 8 worlds and 2 Olys, would have to be a contender for this title. How likely is it to happen :duh:

21. Eyre

Eyre New Member

This is exactly what I think. Elevate Chan onto a totally unreasonable height in order to bait criticism on him. Of course, some people just love such opportunity provided to them.:p

22. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

23. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Oh good. Fire, explosion both good only one combustion will be spontaneous.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  24. mikeko

mikeko Member

Chan will be remembered by the falls at the competitions that he actually won.

25. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Yes. This is what I thought. That would be the death of FS....If he will win fairly, then he will be the best ever...

26. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Member

No. He has nothing that would make him best ever. Not best jumps, not best spins, not best artistry for sure. Worst consistency of a top 5 skater ever let alone a 3 time World Champ. He has great skating skills, transitions, footwork, and sometimes choreography, but even in those things I wouldnt call him best ever in any of.