Challenge and Canadians 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sadie, Mar 21, 2011.

1. sadie

sadie New Member

Anyone heard any rumors as to where these will be held?
  2. John Q

John Q Guest

Rumors? Yes. Speculation? Yes. But nothing definitive.
    As for Challenge, I think it would be safe to say it will not be in Mississauga but will need a venue with 4 sheets of ice. I think we could create a list of the approximately 10 places in Canada which meet that condition.
    Canadians? The last few were held in venues between 6,500 to 10,000 seats. Again the list of those are not very long either.
  3. kppt

kppt New Member

I heard that Challenge would be somewhere in the west (I've heard both Calgary and Regina). And I recently heard Canadians will be in Moncton. We shall see...
  4. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

Last I heard, Regina and Moncton were most likely the locations, and which city would host which event was TBD. That was just over a month ago; haven't heard any updates.
  5. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I don't know... but i was wandering if anyone was aware of Arena's in Ontario that are Olympic size and hold at least 5000? They must be Olympic size.. not NHL size..

thanks for any info... :p
  6. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

Regina and Moncton are good choices. Both have good arenas seating about 6,200 people. I guess it boils down to hotel space, if there are nearby practice arenas ( I think both have that)...and dunno...ease of getting there?

Also Regina has a bigger population so that might make it better for nats.

But nice to spread things around to some underserved regions with good arenas and population bases.
  7. jp1andonly

jp1andonly Well-Known Member

Hopefully those cities put in strong bids because if they didnt then this conversation is null and void. Again SC doesnt choose to put the competition in places because they havent had one in awhile but its based on a strong bid. I'm sure if there wasa city that had canadians in the last 2 years and one that hadnt and the bid for the one who hadnt was a little weaker they might prevail. guess its all about hte bid

8. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

In 1992 Moncton used the U de M arena for practice and novice comps. It's about 5 km away from the Coliseum. Hotels aren't particularly close. Downtown ones would be about 5-6 km away; the ones along the TCH would 6-8 kms away.

The Red Ball Internet centre is 1.6 km from the coliseum and has 4 rinks and seats 2000 - potential Challenge location, or practice rink for Canadians.
  9. burr

burr New Member

2007 Challenge (4 years ago) was held in Moncton at the Tim Horton's Centre. The year before (2006) Junior Nats was held at the same venue.
  10. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers New Member

Moncton was a very friendly, hospitable city when Challenge was held there a few years ago. The general logistics around the event were just fine. The real issue with Moncton was weather, if I recall. Flights were delayed, and road travel was equally bad, due to freezing rain and snow. Events were at risk, and skaters equipment didn't arrive with the skaters. I recall some skaters even sharing costumes and skates. Moncton is not a direct flight for most people. Unfortunately, bad weather tends to happen on the east coast in December and January. That's why Toronto/Mississauga, with a major international airport, has been such a great host for Challenge. It's central for everyone across the country (all flights lead through Toronto or Montreal), and the weather tends to cooperate a little bit better (though not always). There are a lot less skaters for Nationals/Canadians, so it's a little easier to arrange logistically.
  11. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Any word on dates for the two events?