Chairman Mao Returns!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by AndyWarhol, Mar 17, 2013.

1. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Mao Asada for being back on the podium at worlds.
    After being written off by so many the past two years, she is back!

With her pointed toes and exquisite lines she is the chairman of our hearts

:cheer2::cheer2:

2. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I think when you look at what she has done this season, it's pretty amazing. Her programs are basically the best she has ever done in terms of beautiful composition and performing for the audience. This is really impressive because she moves like an angel, and her positions are much above her rivals. After two--almost 2 and a half--seasons of people saying she was done with her jumps, she is throwing a full arsenal that nobody thought she would or could. Her 3A is important considering no other lady can do it at all!

She was not just competitively fired, but she looked joyful, and she stayed in the moment -- even after a freak popped 3loop (how often has Mao Asada popped a 3L in competition?) I think she is enjoying performing, and I hope she can find the fun and the enjoyment for next season so we can continue to enjoy her programs at this level.

Why isn't there an FSU Mao emoticon?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  3. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Yay go Mao. Some difficulties still to face. Getting that Triple Axel more consistent and stop the underrotations. Also she can't afford to lose any levels on her spins. She is getting rewarded with her steps and spins but needs to keep the levels up. Kim is going to be favoured when it comes to PCs but I do believe the judges will give her higher PCS if she skates clean programs.

More importantly 2011-2014 is essentially a journey. Shes faced the toughest times where nothing was going right now she has one more season to keep that momentum going for Sochi.

I'd love her to win Gold in Sochi but lets be honest that is going to be a real struggle. But if she could simply do a short and long in Sochi that is clean without underrotations and two footed skating then I'd be happy and I think she would be too.

4. sonya71

sonya71 New Member

If she can do a clean short and long, she would win the gold medal with a new world record, me thinks.

There's still lots of things that she needs to work on, but she's really made huge strides this season. I hope she'll manage to stay healthy and go up that final flight of stairs to the next level in time for Sochi. :cheer2:

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  5. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I hope Mao can work on her speed off season. It's just not exciting when someone is skating so cautiously and slowly.

6. miki88

miki88 New Member

I thought her speed was fine. She definitely gained speed in the latter part of her free skate. I thought she maintained her speed well throughout her choreographic sequence at the end, better than she has all season.

7. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I am sorry but she is really slow.

8. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

I'm super happy to see Mao on the podium again at worlds. Her programs this season were both beautiful and she skates like an artist.

9. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Are your comments based on seeing her live? I could accept the words "really slow" if you wanted to critique Caroline Zhang, but I do not believe that Mao is slow. The final two sequences in her FS are fast. Working next year to improve the speed out of her jumps would be beneficial to her scores. I agree with that, but she demonstrates speed relative to the quality and the difficulty of what she does. She's not noticeably lacking speed, at least not on television.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  10. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I was happy to see the 3A but I really liked her LP step sequence.

11. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

A Mao cheer thread! Nice! Mao has been around so long now that it's easy to forget how many ups and downs she has been through. I wish she had skated a better SP. She would have the silver. At least she is going in the right direction. At this point I am not going to mention the OGM for her- Yu na looks unbeatable-I just want to see Mao skate two clean performances at the 2014 Olympics.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  12. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I would be so happy to see two clean programs as well . . . both for her and, selfishly, for myself. I love watching good skating :D

13. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

IMO Mao needs the 3A to have any chance of beating Yu na, and even Carolina, since she does not have a correct lutz, and is no longer doing a 3-3 combo. I don't want to start the 3A-discussion again, but obviously Mao loves doing it, so she should do it. I wish the 3A counted for more, in the ladies event.

14. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I am a fan of her Swan Lake and would love it if she could use it again next seasons - she didn't exactly do it justice yet. There is still so much joy she could emote in this program, especially towards the end.

With that said, she really needs to fix the flip.

15. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I agree about the 3 Axel!

16. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I think she will have to debut another program by Japanese Nationals, but if she skates in the GPs it would be interesting to see Swan Lake at least one more time.

17. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

It really needs a "ladies bonus."

She had a 3F-3L planned for the FS, did she not? She hit it in the warm up.

18. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

That triple-triple is always going to be problematic. Her flip technique has deteriorated and the loop is so easy to underrotate. Still her jump content seems to be going back to what she performed in 2006-2008. Then she went for DA-TT (2006-7), TF-TL (2006-2009) and TF-TT (2007-2008) with a solo Triple Axel.

I'm surprised she nor the coaches have considered a Triple Loop-Triple Loop combination in the short and long. The loop is a better jump for her than the Flip. Still I guess the risk is she underrotates both.

But she could do something like:

SP
    TA
    TL-TL
    TF

LP
    TA
    TL-TL
    DA-TT
    TZ
    TF-DL-DL
    --
    TS
    TF

19. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Why not, indeed? Not to suggest that they should be deleted, but if FSU still has emoticons of skaters who've long retired, surely this still-competing and winning gem deserves one as well. Add my name to those who agree.

20. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I was talking about the first half of her program. She isn't doing much but cross overs yet she isn't going fast. I really want her to work on the speed.

21. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Mao is not slow but I always got her speed is just average, and when you're competing against the likes of Kim and Kostner, well, average speed is going to seem SLOW. And other girls are fast skaters too, like Kanako, Gracie, even Ashley skates pretty fast. Mao can pick up the pace when her program calls for it but I don't get the sense that she is flying across the ice like some of the other ladies.

22. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

exactly, other top girls are so fast that Mao looks really slow to me. I noticed that Gracie is pretty fast too. Isn't that why Mao's PCS weren't as high as Kostner?

23. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Well she should be skating it again at WTT.

24. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I think in many ways this season for Mao was about getting her motivation back. Her mother died last year, and it is not only the ongoing grief, but like most skaters, her mother was an irreplaceable part of her career. She had to compete this season more as a woman on her own. Some who know her thought she might not go on as before, but she has grown. She was more beautiful and poised this season in my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. miki88

miki88 New Member

I wouldn't consider Ashley a pretty fast skater, but she's alright. I think speed is only good when there is a sense of control. That's why I only started to like Kostner's skating recently since she finally seemed to control her speed. Some of the younger girls have great speed but there is a lack of control. Sometimes, especially when there are mistakes, it just seems rushed and sloppy to me.
    As for Mao, someone who watched the ladies competition live said what Mao really needs to work on is the speed going into her jumps, which is understandable since she isn't totally confident in them yet. And I did sense she was always more cautious in the first half of the program this season, when she had to complete most of her big jumping passes.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  26. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Gonna have to agree with you. Mao actually looked faster to me on TV at worlds than ever.

She is my favorite but i like and respect Yu Na. What both of these ladies have done is just awe-inspiring. Mao threw triple axel in the short program like nobodys business. Her programs were just gorgeous. She brought back the flip/loop combination and has reinvented herself. Mao 2 years ago when she just switched to MR.Sato looking under weight. Mao last year who lost her mother... those Mao's are like the Mao's of the past. This years Mao was glorious. BTW. way to go Lori/Tat for giving Mao lighter fun programs that she clearly loves to skate too.

I do hope she wins in Sochi next year but it's really Yu Na's game. If Mao can fix her UR's and skate cleanly however, i do believe that the two are on equal playing fields. It will come down to taste if they both skate their best IMO