Celebration on Ice - Thu-Mon

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Teenes, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Teenes

Teenes New Member

I went back 5 pages and didn't see a thread for this.

The 10th and final tour of Celebration on Ice is visiting four cities in Ontario this week. The show features four Canadian world champions on the ice together for the first time - Kurt Browning, Elvis Stojko, Jeffrey Buttle, and Patrick Chan. Kurt's the choreographer, and he has choreographed a group number to "Some Nights" for the four of them. The show also features Joannie Rochette, Shawn Sawyer, Eric Radford & Meagan Duhamel, and Violetta Afanasieva & Pete Dack. Kurt's friend Geoffrey Tyler will be singing live during the finale.

Fans also have the opportunity to buy $20 tickets to "Skate with the Stars" before the Newmarket show (call 905 895-1700).

Dec. 13, 2012 - William Allman Memorial Arena - Stratford, ON
    Dec. 14, 2012 - Ray Twinney Recreation Complex - Newmarket, ON
    Dec. 15, 2012 - Sudbury Arena - Sudbury, ON
    Dec. 17, 2012 - The Essar Centre - Sault Ste Marie, ON

http://www.celebrationonicetour.com

Some press on the show:
    Kurt on Global TV yesterday morning: http://www.globaltoronto.com/video/...ay two/video.html?v=2314563502&p=1&s=dd#video
    Article about the show that mentions the Skate with the Stars:
    http://www.yorkregion.com/iphone/sp...urtain-falls-on-newmarket-figure-skating-show
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

3. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

I wish this was being televised - any reports would be greatly appreciated. Sounds like a great lineup, I'd love to see that group number!
  4. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

5. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

6. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

It appears that Fiona & Noah Bombardier, the twins of Josee Chouinard and her ex-husband Jean-Michel Bombardier are also skating in the show. They appear in a couple of rehearsal photos, including one with the four current/former World champs.
  7. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

Wow.... they all look healthy and good. I think Elvis looks better as he aged.:) (Oosp... 'matures' .. I have to be PC). :p
  8. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

What a wonderful show in Stratford last night! They brought all 4 guys together at centre ice, talked about their joint accomplishments (10 world championships!) and they skated together and individually. I hope there are pictures and video! Kurt did his hockey skates number and Singing In the Rain, omg! So special. Elvis opened the show with My Sharona and then did a gorgeous holiday number in the second half. The man still skates like its 2002, he hasn't lost a thing. Jeff did two amazing programs that make me wish he was still eligible. And it did my heart good to see Patrick out on that Canadian ice, with the other greats. It's where he belongs! He did two programs, one being the new Christopher Dean choreography with a hat. He was wonderful. So we're Shawn Sawyer and Joannie Rochette and Meghan and Eric. There were also some local guest skaters. Wow! We sure got our money's worth (understatement of the year).
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  9. heinz

heinz New Member

I was at the show with Luckiest1 and it was wonderful!! To see Kurt, Jeff, Elvis and Patrick on the ice together and actually do a number together was simply amazing. It was powerful and we were on our feet at the end. I didn't know what to expect before the show....the little town of stratford, which should be used to large groups of people for their theatre shows, seemed overwhelmed with traffic, parking difficulties and getting everyone (almost sold out arena) into the venue. Jean Michel Bombardier was there herding people to the ticket takers. When I looked at him I knew he was 'someone' in the skating world but could not place him. Luckiest knew who he was right away! If anyone has the chance to see this show, go to it, you won't be disappointed!!
  10. minx

minx New Member

I bought tickets to this as a present for a relative who is much more crazy about show skating than me. Not to say that I was reluctant but I like competitions much more than shows.

Can I say that if I was able to, I would go see the next three performances of this show? Just fantastic. And Elvis, I don't know where he buried his martial arts choreography but thank god. His second performance was the best case of skater reinvention that I've ever seen. Of all of the numbers that's the one I want to see again.
  11. AragornElessar

AragornElessar New Member

First off, thanks for the reviews from last night.

Second, you are all making me *very* excited for tomorrow night here in Sudbury. :D :D :D
  12. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

13. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Ooh, looking forward to tonight! I was so hoping I would get an opportunity to see Kurt do Singing In The Rain! :swoon:
  14. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

15. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Thanks for the pics and video. It was a fabulous show and will get even better for the folks tonight and Monday.
  16. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

I'm going to the Sudbury show too! :D I'll definitely post how it was.

Some of my skaters are the guest skaters tonight :)
  17. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

Thanks VaBar. All the cast is good looking and what great skaters. I think it's wonderful that they include some local young skaters in the show. This not only show case the local talents to a wider audience, but inspire the younger skaters to work hard to be the best like their seniors and those before them.
  18. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

The Sudbury show was fantastic! Meghan gave good Jamie Sale. Elvis learned how to hold an edge and get low in a sit spin. Shawn's allegria was gorgeous, as were Jeff's programs. Loved seeing the four champions together- nicely choreographed program!
    Prancer, PeterG, alilou and 3 others like this.
  19. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

It really was a fun show!

I feel honoured to see Kurt do Singing In The Rain, but when he skated by at the end of the show I couldn't shake the feeling that it may be the last time I'll ever see him skate live. :wuzrobbed

Shawn Sawyer. Just :swoon:

I may try to post some pictures tomorrow.
  20. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

21. Blade1

Blade1 New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I went to last nights show in Sudbury and it was FANTASTIC. I have seen COI every time they make a stop in Sudbury, and I just want to say that tonight's show was fantastic. So festive, with great programs and the group numbers where so cute. Seeing Jeff's O Holy Night number gave me chills. Elvis still has the moves. Kurt - love him to pieces especially his 'Singing In The Rain' program. Can I say its SO GOOD to see Patrick Chan touring in Canada :) Seeing all World Champions on the ice at the same time was the highlight. Great number, and I just sat there watching, and couldn't help but get flashbacks in the back of my head, of Kurt, Elvis, Jeff and Patrick, and what we've seen from all of these men in the figure skating circle throughout the years. Amazing !!! Also it was great to see many of the skaters from the Sudbury Skating Club apart of the show. We have some great talented skaters out there ! I took pictures and will definitly be posting them soon :)
  22. AragornElessar

To add a personal note to the great run down of Blade1's great post...

About an hour before heading off to the show w/my Sister's best friend who was giving me a ride there and back, my sister says to me, "Oh...Did I tell you that Michelle's Curtis is skating tonight w/the little ones?"

After my jaw came up off the floor and my eyes went back into their sockets, all I could do was go, "WHAT!?!"

Obviously, no. She didn't tell me that. This little guy and his little brother's Mom lived next door to my Sister and she, my oldest nephew, the son of the lady who gave me a ride and me all grew up together. In fact, these two little guys are considered to be my Sister and Brother in Law's Honourary Grandsons. :) That's how close we all were and still are. Now I always look forward to the little ones from the CanSkate program's little number as it's just too adorable, but after hearing that piece of information, I was looking forward to it even more.

So there I was, sitting on the ice and on the end right across from the Skaters Entrance, had my camera at the ready to go and try to get some good pictures of the little ones and...

There were two groups. One of older kids who had more skills and experience when it comes to skating and the little, little ones like Curtis who are just learning. Guess where Curtis' group was? If you're saying not in my nearer half of the ice, give yourself a Christmas cookie.

I tried the best I could to try and get pictures whenever there was a space in the circle of older kids that were in front of us, and I did get quite a few, but I have no idea if I got any of Curtis or not.

So after the show, we ended up meeting up w/Michelle, Curtis and Michelle's Mom Marg and...

Michelle was so excited for two reasons. One, even though he was *really* nervous, Curtis didn't fall out there. Two, during the Zamboni break and just before they came out, Kurt popped into their area of the Arena to see how they were doing and to give them a bit of a pep talk before heading out.

Which considering just how many cookies and Candy Canes they'd all had by that point, Michelle said getting them excited wasn't that big a problem, but... :D

She said that Curtis walked right up to Kurt and said Hi to him. Michelle said Kurt got down to his level and..."Hi Buddy!! What's your name?

Curtis.

WOW!! We've got the same name. How cool is that? High five Bud."

Which they did and Michelle told me she got it all on video too. She also said he told them all that..."Now remember, it's *Can*Skate. Not *Can't*Skate!!"

Michelle kept saying how she couldn't believe how wonderful Kurt was w/all of those kids. I didn't say anything, but that wasn't a surprise to me after all these years. :)

Anyway, I just thought I'd share that w/everyone. After all, we all get pretty good reviews by those of us who do an awesome report on who did what and if it was a good show or not. This though...This is one of those special things we don't always hear about, but I thought we should. :)

Two other things and forgive me for this first part, but....

*ahem*

I GOT A AWESOME AND PERFECTLY IN FOCUS PICTURE OF SHAWN SAWYER'S BACKFLIP!!!!

Between him, Brian Orser and Scotty Hamilton, do any of you know how long I've been trying to get that picture? Any picture of a backflip that's not only clearly in focus, but also not a teeny tiny dot at the other end of the rink, or blurry horrid or w/a part of the skater's body cut off?

Too freaking long!!!

So forgive the shouting, but I was doing a fair bit of shrieking last night when I saw that photo when I was checking my pictures after I'd gotten back here to my Sister's. :D :D :D

Second....As we were waiting in the lobby/foyer area of the Arena waiting for my Sister's friend's Husband to come and pick us up, I heard someone as they were going by saying, "Look!! There's Megan Duhamel!!" I turn and sure enough, there she was chatting w/a couple of older ladies. It was pretty obvious to me from the way they were chatting these women were either Family Friends or Family.

I waited off to the side for her to finish her conversation and just as she was moving off, called out her name. I knew she had to get going, and had nothing for her to sign anyway, so didn't hold her up any longer than to shake her hand and wish her and Eric a Merry Christmas and best of luck the rest of the Season. She wanted to know if I'd enjoyed the show and as I told her, it was excellent!!

It was too. :) Michelle tried to get Curtis up to her, but by then he was hiding behind Mom's legs and too shy. Also more than likely too tired too.

I just wish there had been more time to actually talk to Megan and ask if what my Dad says is true actually is or not. That we're Cousins through her Mom. This wasn't the time for that though darn it!!

Anyway...It really was such a great show and to see all Four World Champions out there. I took more than just one picture of the four of them together after their number together. Just in case one of them doesn't turn out.

Sigh...It really was such an awesome show and to those getting to see it next, have a fantastic time!! :)
  23. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

AE, I've put photos on my Facebook page and have made the album public. I took several pictures of the little ones at that end (my seats were right beside the tunnel). Have a look...maybe I managed to get a shot of him. They were all so freakin' cute, and trying so hard! :lol:
  24. AragornElessar

They were adorable and thanks for letting me know you've got them up at your Facebook account. All I need though is a link, as I'm not on Facebook, so could you share that please and thank you and then my Sister and I will check to see if you got any of him. :)
  25. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Well :duh:

Here's the link for anyone interested. :lol:

My pictures aren't so great...I find it so hard to photograph skating.
    midori and (deleted member) like this.
  26. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Ahem.....when do we get to see the photo of Shawn's backflip??????? :)
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Teenes

Teenes New Member

28. AragornElessar

Tomorrow at the earliest. I'm at my sister's on my laptop and for some unknown reason, my camera or my laptop doesn't like each other and won't download the photos. I'm headed home tomorrow, so considering I've been sick today w/a minor buggie boo, it all depends on how I'm feeling. I hope to get them all edited and done tomorrow though.

There's a couple I needed to lighten and others that need a wee bit of cropping here and there, but other than that, I'm happy w/what I got on Saturday night. :)

I still can't get over Fiona and Noah being out there though. I mean...The year they were born, that was the time when an on ice seat meant going to the after show Reception and knowing this tour was run by Jean-Michel's company and he'd be there, I made the twins the Full Term sized version of the hats from the sets I crochet for the NICU here in Sudbury and was able to give them to him for the Twins. That still feels like it was only yesterday and to think they're now out there at that age....

Sigh...Man I'm getting old...

;)
  29. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

30. AragornElessar

Kim, I've tried a few times and so has my Sister on her iPad, as she is on Facebook and I thought that could make a difference, but... All I'm seeing when I click on the link is the basic Facebook page, but nothing on it other than the graphics at the top and the various acknowledgements on the bottom of it. Now I do know I can access Facebook pages so long as they're Public ones, as I've done it before, but since I wasn't seeing anything thought it might be that I needed to see them on someone else's computer toy thing :D who is on Facebook. No such luck though.

For once, I hope it's just something on my end that's the problem.
  31. AragornElessar

Thanks for the link to the article over at the Sudbury Star Sylvia. I got two really nice pictures of those two skaters and Patrick before he introduced them to the crowd the other night. All I have to do is fix the darkness of it and crop it a teeny weeny bit and if it turns it out like I hope it does, then I'll print out two copies of it and send it to the Club for them.

Yes, I'm sure they had someone taking pictures for them, but as we all know who try to take skating pictures, you just never know what'll happen in a show lighting situation and a camera. :)
  32. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

33. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

I can see them with no problem. Thanks for sharing :)
  34. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

Thanks for the pictures, Kim Kom. Oooh... those tiny tots with helmets are sooo adorable.
    I like the fact that the local community is involved in these shows.
  35. AragornElessar

This is the message I just got when I checked...

Frustrating to say the least!!
  36. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9-A6mZbQyk

Great spins.:cool:
  37. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

And you tried the second link I posted? Strange! :confused:
  38. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I love, LOVE this program for Elvis. I wish he'd broken out more like this as an amateur. It's still nothing on, say, Jeff's programs, but it's a big improvement. I mean, it's a program I watched twice. I can't think of another time that's happened with him after '97 and the big 4-3 jump debut. I caught CBC's airing of Holiday On Ice a few days before, and actually looked forward to Elvis's program.

Can I just gush about Shawn's Allegria again? The Holiday On Ice clip was nothing on how great it is live. I don't miss him as an amateur at all, and just hope he gets more and more opportunities to put out such great programs as a pro.
  39. minx

minx New Member

40. AragornElessar

I did. Strange is not the word for it.