Cee-Lo Green Corrects The Weak, Faulty Lyrics of John Lennon's "Imagine"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Feb 27, 2012.

1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

We've all been irked by Lennon's poor lyric-writing, no? Well Cee-Lo Green is a corrector of mistakes, bless his heart. His correction happened over a month ago when he sang the little ditty in New York's Times Square on New Year's Eve.

Fans angry that Cee Lo changed 'Imagine' lyrics

Here's the lyrics to the song, with Lennon's goof in red to Cee-Lo's improvement in green:

2. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Well there are two issues here: Changing the lyrics to one of the greatest songs we have in the rock songbook is --speaking religiously-- a grave sin.

If whats-his-face had any grasp of history he would understand Lennon chose those words knowing what has been done in the name of religion.

Idiot.

3. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

He is such a tool.

4. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I can only imagine.

:p

5. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Saying "all religion's true" is just idiotic, anyway. Think about it, some religions teach some very horrible things and they can't all be true, that is just not logical.

7. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

But it rhymes. ;)

8. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

As much as I dislike the original words (and tune), Cee-Lo's re-write was no improvement. Both suck.

-Bridget

9. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

I think Cee-lo was trying to make it mean imagine if people allowed everyone their own religion without judgement or prejudice. People change lyrics all the time. The song isn't a national anthem or sacrament. It's a pop song. Plus It doesn't change the lyric meaning dramatically imo. I don't see why such an issue would be be made.

10. znachki

znachki Active Member

If you're an atheist, I'd imagine the change would be offensive.

11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I blame Purrfect the cat! :lol:

12. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

For reals. Now, if he'd corrected it to "and one religion's true" it would've made more sense. [But, alas, which religion is the true one? :drama:]
    Purrfect is obviously behind all Cee-Lo shenanigans and inappropriateness. Mrrrrrrrrrowwwwwwl!

13. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Imagine That!

14. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

My first paranoid impression was that he was pressured into changing the lyrics / was afraid of any backlash to Lennon's original line.

But, I think he released a tweet since then saying that he just wanted to make the lyrics better :blah: Write your own song. Don't change a classic. WTF was he thinking?

15. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Personally, I hate that song, so any crapping on it works for me.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  16. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

If you're not an atheist, that line is offensive. I'm not crazy about the song but that line has always bothered me. A world with no religion? No matter how much misery has been done in the name of religion, I would not be willing to live in a world without my religion.

It bothered me a lot when John said the Beatles were bigger than God too. No they weren't.

17. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I'm not an atheist, and I don't find that line offensive -- however, I'm sure that others feel differently.
    Because of that misery (some of it in horrendous proportions), I can understand the feeling behind Lennon's lyric. Although a world without religion would not be a world without misery, just free from the misery inflicted in the name of religion. Human nature being what it is, there likely will always be some "reason" to inflict intentional misery upon others. :(
    The actual quote was that the Beatles had become "more popular than Jesus" which may well have been true for some in that time/place (1966/England). It didn't get much of a reaction until it was requoted in a U.S. teen magazine months later, after which it triggered protests -- and album burnings and banning of their music getting airplay in some places. Talk about over-reaction.

18. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Hey, there's no such thing as bad publicity! So...good on Cee-Lo! :D

19. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

And not getting the facts right.

20. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:respec: And not getting the facts right.

21. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I would love living in a world without religion!

For one thing, surveys show that atheists are more moral that believers on average.

22. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

Well, none of us has any conclusive proof that God exists, so until then yes they were. :p

23. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Without religion there would be no "Crime and Punishment" or Mahalia Jackson or "Annie Hall" and that's just not a world I would want to live in. :drama:

However, a world without that...that....Justin Bieber mangling ANY song on New Year's Eve is perfectly ok with me.

24. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Would you be willing to live in a world without countries (borders, governments, etc.)? Or a world without possessions (private property)?

The point of the song is to imagine an idealized world that is not based on anticipation of an afterlife (no heaven or hell) or on drawing lines between groups of people to set them against each other.

Countries, religion, possessions are all about drawing lines.

Imagine a world where land, relation to the divine however you experience it, resources and manufactured goods all exist but are available for personal use or sharing without drawing lines and fighting over them.

Not a practical vision for a foreseeable future, but an ideal to make us question whether we really need to draw all those lines and put up all those barriers between us.

One could argue that it's as much an anarchist or communist ideal as an atheist one.

But it's really not atheist at all because it doesn't say imagine a world with no god.

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  25. skatingfan5

No the Reverend Mr. Collins or Vicar of Dibley, either, I guess. :( That would take away some of life's laughter, wouldn't it. John Lennon obviously hadn't thought things completely through -- or wasn't much of an Austen fan. :shuffle:

26. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

Love the original song and love the original lyric. And I love how much it pisses off religious folks clinging to their dogma.

Cee-lo's cover is just that, a cover. It's his take on it. I don't really see the change as a big deal.

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Without religion there would be no "The Feeling Begins" or "Ave Maria". :drama:

28. skatingfan5

No, it doesn't, does it. From the wiki page I linked in my previous post:
    Though, I suppose for some this way of thinking would be "atheistic."

29. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Not to mention York Cathedral, the Church in the Rock, Notre Dame Cathedral, the Book of Kells, the Parthenon (temple to Athena), Hagia Sofia, most Renaissance art...........

30. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I saw a video on youtube recently that included statistics that stated that things would be worse off without atheists (which I assumed was an implication that things would be better without religion being so prevalent in our lives). Here is the link:

Imagine If All Atheists Left America

But I don't know how accurate the statistics are that this video cites... :shuffle:

I think the Beatles were as likely to take the p*** out of themselves as much as they were anybody else. I'm guessing they felt the mania around their group was off-the-charts crazy. They probably just saw themselves as some pop group, nothing worthy of all the attention they were getting. So when John made this comment, I think he was being flippant and meant that the kind of attention they were receiving should be directed at something greater than four young pop stars.

:40beers: