CBC's "Battle of the Blades" is coming back!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

2. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

According to my tv guide, the theme for Week 2 is "Suit and Tie" and for Week 3 is "International Beat".

3. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Many of your questions/comments have been covered in the various articles and TV appearances that led up to the beginning of the new season. For example, Kurt said in a couple of interviews that he was growing "the scruff" to look more serious as a judge. There were also some articles that explained the new judging approach with no guests, all three on skates, etc.

4. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

5. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

6. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

http://tvfeedsmyfamily.blogspot.ca/2013/09/battle-of-blades-helps-cbc-find-its-feet.html

Battle of the Blades Helps CBC Find Its Feet

7. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I'm off to tonight's show! Weeeee!

8. badskater62

badskater62 New Member

Team Savage-Dube for Battle of the Blades
    Just in......the producers of Battle of the Blades just announced that INTERNATIONAL VOTES count now for keeping us on the show. Go to CBC.ca/battle and register and answer a few question under EXTRAS/CHALLENGES to receive more votes each week. Jess, I and our charities appreciate your support. This is on facebook now - so -if you can watch - you can vote, I guess, although you may want to check this for yourselves. Perhaps it will be announced on tonight's show

9. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

that should make things interesting if international votes now count for battle of the blades.. So far I'm on the Savage-Dube bandwagon - but kinda liked Shae too so will have to see what everyone brings tonight :) Last season I enjoyed going down and watching as well, might this year too..

10. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Does this mean they will un-geoblock the show? How can a non-viewer vote without seeing the skaters, unless they are voting based on favorites (not by performance). If someone can get around the geoblock, I would assume they could have voted anyway. Hence, no difference. ???

11. badskater62

badskater62 New Member

A site called Lifehacker just put this up - and I am wondering if those in the US, who can't see the show might be able to use it to watch the videos on the CBC/battle site the following day - especially if they want to vote... worth a try, but I am not computer savvy enough to check it out - here is what they put up.

Access Blocked Sites at School or Work with Google Translate

If your school or office blocks a good portion of the web for "productivity's" sake, Redditor sidewayssammich shares a useful tip: just plug a site into Google Translate to view it. Good luck to anyone who wants to try it.

Just copy and paste the URL of the page you want to view into Google Translate. On the left side, click on any language as long as it isn't "Detect Language," then translate it into English. You should be able to view the page (possibly with a few quirks, but otherwise intact) through Google Translate.P

It won't work everywhere, but some people are reporting good success with it, and it's especially useful if you need a blocked site for your work. Just remember there's a reason your work or school may have sites blocked—if it's for security reasons, you may want to think twice, but if they're just trying to derail your productivity, it's easier to just run it through the translator. Be sure to check out all the other things you can bypass with Google,

12. victorskid

The bottom 2, based on judges' scores and votes from last week: Marcy & Mike; Oxsana & Vladimir. They will get to do their performance to this week's "suit and tie" theme and they will apparently serve as the skate-off. It's only a 1 hour show.

First to skate - Jessica & Brian - 16.2.
    Second to skate - Amanda & Scott - 16.8
    Third to skate - Violetta & Jason - 17.1
    Fourth up - Shae-Lynn & Anson - 16.8
    Fifth up - Sinead & Grant - 17.3
    Sixth up - Marie-France & Mathieu - 17.0
    Seventh up - Marcy & Mike (age 53) - 16.3
    Last up - Oxsana & Vladimir - 16.7 - Safe!

Judges not using their single save - too early in the event. Marcy & Mike eliminated but with $25,000 to the charity.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    pixie cut and (deleted member) like this.
  13. sk8rfan

sk8rfan Active Member

Thanks for the update victorskid!! Will you be updating throughout the show?!?:D

14. victorskid

So the first elimination has happened - see my updated post above. Next week 7 couples. On to TAR....

15. sk8rfan

sk8rfan Active Member

Thanks for the updates!

16. 4rkidz

Dube & Savage - our first throw axel but unfortunately Jessica fell and it did affect their performance.. she needs to be a bit more bubbly.. she wear her emotions on her sleeves and seemed a bit annoyed.. she looked great though..
    Amanda & Scott - great energy.. no major errors.. flowed really well.. Judges liked it..

I'm going to evaluate the Judges too... Kurt Browning - he's very detailed and really interested in the 'performance' of the skaters -

17. 4rkidz

Violetta and Jason - she is just a beautiful skater and has lovely performance skills - I loved it! She is very flexible and really helps at this stage due to the limited 'tricks'.. best so far.. string of 5.7's.. excellent..

18. quartz

quartz I wonder what tomorrow has in mind for me

Thunderstorm, satellite out. Grrrrrr.......

19. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

CBC reran last week's ep this afternoon. Not sure if they will do that next time, but perhaps if anyone catches that, they can post it in the TV area for those interested.
    The judges look nice tonight. Not sure why they all have to be in skates. Seems they would get cold feet being in them for over 2 hours mainly just sitting there.
    Did Kurt skate at the beginning? If so, I missed it.
    After Shae-lynn and Anson skated the judges mentioned stroking. This was nice to hear that it isn't all about lifts/tricks (though those are amazing ).
    It will be interesting to see if they just go with web voting for next season. I just prefer the toll free phone calls and would not mind even if they limited it to just a few calls per team from the same number.

20. 4rkidz

I think the ice dancers are having an advantage in the early weeks because the routine looks so much smoother and a little early for 'tricks'.. so things like stroking and speed really are evident..

21. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Nice throw axel by Oksana.
    Maybe I did not see it correctly, but it looked like Sinead had to use her arms to prevent a lift from coming down.

For some reason I thought the show was going to be longer tonight like it was last week.

Does anyone know about how much the figure skaters get paid per show?

22. 4rkidz

I wish it was longer.. it seemed to go by super fast..

23. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

I basically agree with the judges' ranking. They got it right. Good job! Does Violletta has any weight?:) She looked as light as a feather! Great job tonight!

Poor Marcy, they skated beautifully. I wish that the format change a bit next year, giving the bottom two one more chance to build up, and shake things up a little bit.

I just wondered how much difference costumes can make. Oksana looked like a Goddess in that gorgeous white dress, but looked like a fat middle aged woman in this shiny green number.

Shae looked great and hit many beautiful positions but I agree with Kurt, she needs to challenge her partner to win. Anyway we all know that Shae can skate beautifully with a chair so there is nothing there to prove. What she needs to do is to showcase how much she can make her partner do:)

Go Shae-Lynn!!!

24. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Tried to find parking but the place was a zoo. Saw Oksana and her partner in the middle of the lot! Found street parking and went on in. The building has 4 rinks and it was packed. Hockey going full force on 3, piles of people and far too many hockey sticks waving around in the air! We got to our seats in a corner and they moved us down to the front row! Huge number of hyper, caffeinated staff running around being cheerleaders. I hope these are not unpaid interns. They really worked, did a great job. P. J. Kwong walked past, then Arlene Dickinson (Dragon's Den). The arena is small, cosy. Everyone did well, Dube did fall on her throw but that was the only major error I saw. Mind you, we were seated behind a camera man and missed a few things.

Results? I figured Marcy H. was going to be in the bottom two but Kazakova? That floored me! I guess most voters are too young to remember her. She nailed it though and her scores should have been higher. Ron M. did a Sandra and told the audience how great these two were (Olympic gold).
    The cast stayed quite a while, posing for photos and signings. Dube and Savage spent a lot of time in our corner, P.J. Stock did too and picked up a kid and skated around with him upside down. A young girl went on the ice and did a spiral with M-F! It was a really nice family-friendly thing! Then Sinead came up to us and signed skates. We exchanged double high-fives after I said "Scotland forever"! The woman is gorgeous, incredibly ripped. Then M-F came over. My friend got a few photos; I don't know when I'll get them but they were pretty good. Shae took her baby from her husband and skated around with him. She is my fave; this woman never disappoints.

I agree with 4rkidz that the ice dancers are really showing well. I think it's hard for the judges as I felt there were no real duds in the bunch. No one is head and shoulders above the rest.

Fun show, glad I went. A great evening for $12.00. Can't beat that.

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. quartz

quartz I wonder what tomorrow has in mind for me

$12!! That's all? Wow!
    Watching now, again, thank goodness for time shifting! Satellite came back on as soon as the EST slot was done.

26. badskater62

badskater62 New Member

Drom Sandratwitteracouple of inutes age.....
    Sandra Bezic ‏@SandraBezic 22m
    Just learned today that @CBCbattle can now process international votes. The window is open until Tues. night.

27. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Loved Sinead & Grant. Grant showed a real flair that is rare for the hockey players. I am impressed!

28. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

Yes, it's a steal. The first time I went there it was free(it's the same every year, if you couldn't get a ticket, go there directly and hope for a free admission if there is vacancy, take the risk) , then I paid $5 and $8 respectively. great value and it's hard to get tickets.

29. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Also keep in mind, we don't know what percentage of the voting public are avid figure skating fans. In Canada, it is very likely there are more hockey fans than figure skating. However, how many are interested in voting? If the majority of voters are hockey fans and/or casual figure skating fans, they may not know many of the figure skaters. Their knowledge of figure skating would be limited or nonexistent. They are simply counting big tricks, and evaluating how entertaining the skaters are. Anybody could end up in the bottom two, regardless of their status in the figure skating world. If the majority of voters are hockey fans, the popularity of the hockey player may also be a factor. If so, that may be good news for Shae. Didn't they mention Anson was well liked wherever he played?

30. victorskid