CBC's "Battle of the Blades" is coming back!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Enjoyed it all! :)

2. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

I love all the three dancers' routine plus Oksana's. Very empressed by Oksana and her partner, so smooth and she was so elegant, those beautiful lines are still OGM worthy. I hardly remember her but gosh she's good.

Shae-Lynne has been my favorite for all those seasons and I personally believe she should have won.

I had debated if I'm going to watch because one of the judges, and I have my finger fixed on the "mute " button. It turned out not that bad, except that "how about winning, oh, wait, you know nothing about it", where is class or respect, oh, wait, maybe never there.

Anyway, a good start of a great show, although I'm confused by some of the music selections too, nowhere near rock&roll, especially Oksana and Jessica's.

I'm sorry for the American girl, not Amenda, the other one. I guess she will be the first one to leave again. Sorry, but it is still a competition, however entertaining it is.
    Violetta needs to work on her facial expression, not very appealing to me.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  3. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

Team Marie-France, got the lion's share of my votes cuz they esp him demonstrated a good variety of skating skills, steps, etc., not just tricks... plus their charities also struck a chord, then surprisingly I also voted for Team Jessica (they really created a mood on the ice), Team Sinead (most fun and flashy esp with the gender bender lift but skating was a little wild and rough not quite in sync yet), and of course I voted for Team Shae too, (a good first effort but confess I expected bit more from them as a team, it can't always be Shae skating round her hockey guy), and Oksana (some very nice shapes being created, but a little introverted still, however I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed their performance) got the rest of my votes this week. Every team was good though, no team really tanked, I found all the performances were pretty entertaining and all the guys stood up for the first week, still some teams have to be in the bottom. This year's cast looks quite promising, I am looking forward to next week.

4. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

jamies comment to pj about "wining" was :eek:
    pj brings a great persepctive to the pannel-

5. halffull

halffull Life is moving too quickly ...

I agree about the dancers .. Shae should win this season :) How do you rate the couples to earn more votes?

6. victoriajh

I liked Jess and Brian and SHe and anson wow shae still brings it!!!!

7. nyrak

nyrak Active Member

I'm so upset I missed this tonight! My VCR (yes my VCR ;)) is messed up....is it available on youtube or anywhere online?

8. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

9. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

I just clicked on the rate the skaters link on the home page, but I think you can only do it right after the show because that page is not there anymore (or maybe I don't see it because I already did the rating..)

10. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

11. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

You can do it for each of the couples right after they skate, while the show is on.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

13. TartanSk8ter

TartanSk8ter New Member

I can't vote for my favourite couple because the screen is blank on the right side, after the word Leaderboard. Two couples photos are missing in the voting area. And I can't find where to get extra votes (where is it?) so I only get to vote once. Is something wrong with my computer or the site? :confused:

14. halffull

halffull Life is moving too quickly ...

thanks for the info Alvyne and victorskidm :) Otherwise my one vote won't go too far LOL

15. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

I am not certain what you mean by "the screen is blank on the right side." It sounds as if the right side of your display has been truncated.

After the word "Leaderboards", there should be "Extras" and "Help". Within "Extras", there are various link buttons. One is "Challenges". That is where you complete the puzzles and trivia quizzes to get extra points.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  16. TartanSk8ter

TartanSk8ter New Member

Thanks for responding rvi5.

My screen is truncated on the side and the words Extras and Help are missing, as are the photos of two couples, including the one I wanted to vote for.

I guess I'll be getting one vote. Oh well!

17. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Sheesh, what does Jamie have to do to get a break from people? That was a humorous comment made to make the audience laugh. I thought her comments were thoughtful and constructive - clearly an indication that she'd studied the skaters in advance. Let's give credit where credit is due.

18. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I expect the world from Shae by now, but I didn't feel she and Anson came up short. HE impressed me - a hockey fan mentioned to me he wasn't a great skater in the NHL, so I was relieved to see him keep up. I think they'll be an interesting team.

LOVED Oksana & Partner. Simple, but effective. Sinead and Grant, too. Everyone else save Marie France just kind of fell on the meh spectrum for me.

Her comment was meant as humourous and to try to build a chemistry with PJ like Sandra had with JR-- I get that-- But it fell like a brick. She was so hot and cold as a judge. She'd have great comments, but by the end of the show I figured out a drinking game where you take a shot every time she made it about her, her experience, etc. That being said, she wasn't nearly as bad as I thought she would be. ;)

19. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Everything PJ said referred back to himself and his own experience in hockey - so is it all about him? Kurt does the same thing - at least when he's not sick. That's why they're there - to use their experience to make the judging sound at least somewhat professional. The entire show did feel a bit forced, but I actually thought Ron and Jamie carried it. And for the record, I thought that remark was funny.

20. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

Well, let's just agree that we have different funny bones:)

21. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I think Jessie and Brian are going to do really well.. Nice to see Bryce on her team helping coach them..

22. victoriajh

The winning comment was ment to be funny but it came across as rude :( I totally agree with you in her other points , she gave good info about the lift ( backwards - I never noticed!) and about cross overs and such - I found apt hat she was reaching sometimes to give positives likely as these are her friends!!! I find Kurt the judge I don't really want to hear, I just want to see him skate!!!! The opening was amazing!!

23. quartz

quartz I wonder what tomorrow has in mind for me

I will leave all the snark about Jamie to the rest of you.....I just want that hair of hers!

24. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

No kidding - her hair looked fab.

I thought Jamie was fine as a judge, and her winning comment was funny. PJ wasn't offended, why should anyone else be?

25. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

26. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I didn't think her comment to PJ was offensive. It just didn't land well and came across as un-funny, like a few other moments of hers. All the judges ran into that more than I recall Sandra and JR did, but it's the first show with a whole new panel. It just takes time.

She looked really good in general, especially after having a baby. I wanted her shirt/dress/thing.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  27. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

I wonder if Mr. Button feels slighted that he is not back on the judging panel?
    The judges were as expected. Kurt did some nice skating at the beginning in hockey skates. Missed the first part of that as I did not know he was skating. Wonder if that will be every week? I wonder if he left the "Scruff" on his face to show that he was too sick to shave, or if he rested till the last minute then found that nobody there in the make-up dept. had a razor for him to shave before he had to be on camera.
    In both the preview/look back show and this first show, I thought they showed way too many ridiculous hockey fights to call this "Family Entertainment". We get the idea they are "Manly Men" and really didn't need the fights emphasized. We are trying to reduce the amount of violence among our young men, so I'd rather they used that time to show something else.
    On a positive note it was nice during the preview show to hear some additional info on the previous skaters. I imagine they will show more behind the scenes trainings and all of that when time permits as skaters are eliminated. I felt a bit sorry for the hockey players who had sad packages played right before they had to perform.
    I am glad the show is back! Didn't they used a rotating guest judge in a previous season?

28. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Anyone found it on youtube yet :shuffle:

29. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

I thought it was funny too, blueglass. PJ has joked about not winning in the past (he said that he wasn't used to raisng his arms up over his head because he didn't score often). And the other players teased him about not winning in the reunion show, so it was funny because i know he was open to that kind of ribbing. And i totally agree with you about her comments as well (and i say this as someone who has taken issue with what she said in the past). So far, i like her as a judge. And he looked gorgeous! :)

I was so excited for this season when they announced that my lovely Shae was coming back and that Oksana Kazakova had joined the cast (i felt she and her partner were undermarked, btw). All the couples impressed me. Looks to be an exciting season!

And thanks so much for the links, Alvyne!

30. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Just checked on my ipad verion of youtube, which is limited, and could only fnd behind the scenes stuff posted by CBC. I will post if i find any of the performances.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.