CBC's "Battle of the Blades" is coming back!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

2. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

PJ Kwong has been announced as the BOTB blogger for the season.

3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Is Mark Ladwig playing some role on this show? He mentioned his "office" for the show and has been tweeting about it a lot.

4. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

5. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

I think he is one of the coaches; it looks like he's been working with Sinead and Grant.

6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Thanks for the info. Mark is such a nice guy, I'm glad to see him have this opportunity.

7. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

8. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

According to my TV schedule, the past season recap show will be replaying on CBC at 3:00pm EST today i.e. now.

A tweet from BOTB, indicates there will be no phone voting. You must register for an account at their website, and earn votes throughout the week.

https://twitter.com/cbcbattle/status/384322758982639618

ETA: All Canadians get one weekly vote as a guest. More votes are earned by solving puzzles etc. after registering an account. Voting ends at 5:00pm Tuesdays, and commences when Ron MacLean announces voting is open on the show.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  9. sk8rfan

sk8rfan Active Member

This is true but if you register to vote in the US your votes will not count. This is what I was told by someone working on the show.

10. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

For reference, what's the spoiler policy for the earliest Atlantic time zone broadcast? Love that I can watch it live in HD this time!

11. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

He just got a special mention from Ron MacLean for "helping out backstage" and "setting up all the skates" (or words to that effect).

[Like Lara, I'm watching the Halifax feed in HD - from Ottawa :) ]

12. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

Thanks for this! I had missed this info.

13. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

I enjoyed the first number with Sinead & Grant. If the rest of the performances are this good, this is going to be a fabulous season!

14. honey

honey Active Member

I enjoyed all the teams, but I found most the music choices to be a little boring (just IMO of course!). Liked Shae & Anson the best.

15. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Missed the start of the eastern broadcasts, so I'm waiting for 8 pm Mountain time. I wonder where my 37 votes will go?

16. JanetB

JanetB Well-Known Member

My favorite also.

17. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Liked Kazakova and her partner the best. They were smooth.

18. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

How do you manage to be able to vote 37 times? I could only wish.

Loved Shae and Anson -- no surprise! I'm also pleased to see how well the "dancers" scored from the judges.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

Log onto the website & register. Then do the puzzles for the week to earn more votes. If you do them all, you will get 37 votes.

20. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

The BOTB website said voting ends at 5:00pm EST Tuesday, but I just noticed Ron MacLean said 8:00pm EST on the show.

21. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

I tried to log in last week, hit the forgot my password button, but didn't get the reset email. Tried again tonight and got seven votes. I just have to manage seeing all of them while also trying to watch Once Upon a Time. :(

Still not sure how the elimination goes. A skate off right, but how do you then get voted off, or do the judges decide who goes? I hate the thought of a team practicing and then not getting to skate.

22. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

I think I ended up with about 45 votes for this week.

23. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

KatieC -- IIRC, the two pairs with the lowest combined scores (from the judges and from the voters) then have a skate off between the bottom two. The judges then determine which of the two pairs will be the ones eliminated. I am not sure if that part happens first or if all the couples from this week will skate first and then the skate off -- I'm a bit fuzzy about that part.

24. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I enjoyed the show tonight.. last year I went to watch the live show that was interesting.. all very friendly and skaters all accessible to the fans. I think this year it will Shae as the favourite

25. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

You can also earn more votes by rating the couples.

I really liked the show, the ice dancers are definitely the ones to watch.

26. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

I vaguely recall reading somewhere, the elimination will occur at the end of next weeks show. I am guessing all couples will train and skate a new program, the judges will then select who is eliminated among the previously voted bottom two based on how well they skated the new routine. At least with this format, the eliminated couple will have had the opportunity to skate two performances, as opposed to one in previous seasons.

ETA: Ron MacLean will announce who is in the bottom two at the beginning of next weeks show. After the announcement, the remaining safe couples will perform their routines. Afterwards, the bottom two couples will have the skate-off.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  27. sequins

sequins Active Member

I enjoyed it tonight as well, but also found some of the music questionable for 'rock week'? Fave was Sinead, Shae, M-F and then Oksana. Poor Kurt you could tell he wasn't feeling well at all.

28. quartz

quartz it's just love, and miracles out of nowhere

Shae is always my favorite. I have always felt she was hugely underrated in her competition days. Her creativity and absolute joy for what she does on ice every single time she performs, totally captivates me.

29. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I thought they were all really good. I think it's too early for anybody to leap ahead and the programs weren't all that different from one another. Actually, I didn't care as I was just so happy to see everyone. Shae, Sinead and Oksana did it for me tonight though. Good show and I like the judges.

30. quartz

quartz it's just love, and miracles out of nowhere

I thought all 3 judges were a little awkward tonite.....not sure why as all three have plenty of commentating, speaking in public and being on camera experience. Hopefully it was just opening nite jitters. Overall, good show, but I was also confused as to much of the music, not what I would consider rock music at all.