CBC's "Battle of the Blades" is coming back!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 3, 2013.

1. MissIzzy

MissIzzy Active Member

Why did CBC announce their lineup on NHL trade deadline day? :lol: Not that I mind; needed some good news today...

2. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

Yes! A million times YES!

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Oh happy, happy, joy, joy! :rollin:

The link doesn’t work for me. :( Is this the same article?

I wonder if this will limit their choices for hockey players/skaters to those who live in or near the GTA?

4. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

YAY!

Much as it would be nice, I doubt Shae Lynne Bourne would be brought on the show as the second judge. They've always had a hockey player as the second permanent judge. I would actually like to see that spot filled by one of the players who has previously been on the show and actually has some idea of just how much work has gone into learning those skills & programs.

5. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Exactly!!! I was hoping the CBC would do that, as it's a natural lead in to Sochi and gives them a chance to really promo their coverage of the Games to Canada. Can NOT wait!!

I too hope for Paul Kariya. What about Ronnie Francis? I remember he used to be a pretty smooth skater back in the day.

6. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I could happily watch Paul Coffey skate around a rink in circles. His skating skills are second to none.
    As one of my friends said once, "Paul Coffey invented skating."

7. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Totally agree on the choice of hockey player. I'd like to see Georges Laracques(sp?).

8. Icehog

Icehog New Member

I suggest Barbara Underwood as a judge. She coaches power skating to NHLers. She lives in Toronto where the show is produced. She's a retired pairs figure skater and a former competitor on the show. She's a former TV commentator. Ticks all the boxes for qualifications.

I wonder if Kurt will be the host again? I hope so.

9. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Georges competed last season.

10. pp55

pp55 Member

I assume you want Barbara Underhill as a judge.

11. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

So, it'll just be one show per week--the performances and the eliminations will take place all the same night. At first, I was confused how that would work with voting etc, but I figure in the first week everyone skates, then the next week everyone still skates and someone is eliminated at the end. When people vote, they can't vote for the eliminated skater's performance.

So, that means one extra performance. Which is fine. The elimination show was kinda boring, anyway. Given how many skaters train in the Toronto/Ontario/Detroit region, the show could've showcased a skater/team each week. But they never did that on any regular basis before, so I'm okay with no Monday night elimination episode.

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

13. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

George would be a GREAT judge. He continued skating after the show. I believe he even did a show in Quebec with another partner?

14. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

She'll do if Underwood is busy.

15. nyrak

nyrak Active Member

So glad BOTB is back! And add me to the list who'd love to see Trevor Linden on the show! I remember a story from the Nagano Olympics where he excitedly met Shae-Lynn Bourne, saying he & his wife were big fans, he'd just met Victor, etc.

16. SGrand

SGrand Member

Lol

17. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I meant as a judge.

18. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Ah, my mistake. :)

19. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

They definitely need to bring back Dick Button. Or have someone else who's fun, like maybe Toller Cranston or Liz Manley.

20. Alwaysaway

Alwaysaway New Member

Glad to hear this. The first couple of seasons had very strong ratings and it's a good vehicle to keep figure skating in the public eye. Also agree they should have run it during the strike, the marketing writes itself.

21. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

IIRC Toller was a judge and he was no fun.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  22. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Has Bret Hedican already competed? I know he isn't canadian but.. Yes Paul Kariya was a figure skater when he was younger.

23. marysy

marysy Active Member

Bret Hedican was co-guest judge with Kristi once, I believe. He'd be a good person to have on and has always seemed like a very nice guy. Perhaps he's learned a few things from Kristi since they've been married, or if nothing else, be familiar with the figure skating world. Plus, he's pretty built so shouldn't have problems with lifts.

More ideas - maybe Joe Sakic or Rob Blake? And he's not retired yet or Canadian, but I'd love to see Teemu Selanne do this one day. Maybe he and Kariya could compete against each other. :)

24. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Sidney Crosby need to let his jaw heal and then give up hockey for Battle of the Blades :biggrinbo

25. shutterbug

Ohhhhhh, wouldn’t that be something? :D The “battle” would be amongst the girls to see who could snag him as a partner! :lol:

26. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

27. shutterbug

Found this on GoldenSkate: https://twitter.com/LadretDoug/status/374344482495270913

The first episode will air on Sept. 22, 2013.

28. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

29. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Yay! Sudbury representing again! Tessa Bonhomme last year, and now Brian Savage. :cheer: :cheer:

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

And George Crabtree! Although Harper is a major fan of Murdoch Mysteries, I suspect it's te co-production money from GB that's behind the expanded season.

I don't think it will be an issue, since timing and stability is key. Also, hockey payers can have muscle mass that figure skaters can't, since they don't have to worry about jumps.

Except the gushing doofus part.

And :wuzrobbed thinking about the missed opportunity to expand the fan base.

I guess my second all-time favorite Jari Kurri is too busy GM-ing the Finnish National Team. (Jean Ratelle's a little old.)