CBC's "Battle of the Blades" is coming back!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Everyone mentioning charities driving the vote makes a good point. Additonal to that, Scott & Amanda supported the same charity - many other teams split the charity vote in half, if you think about it. There were 5 charities represented in the final three teams. The charity that won had the full team representing it. Might be a factor.

Also, aside from the twist and throw, Marie France had plenty of showy moves and lifts, at least as many as Violetta and Jason. This isn't like Shae & Patrice vs. a pair team. It felt like two adagio pairs and a real pair team.

2. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

That one move separates the top competitive pairs from the pack too though so it's very realistic for the world of pairs skating.

3. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

4. Kevin Albrecht

Kevin Albrecht New Member

Unfortunately, the producers can't take it down to a final 2 due to the possibility of an injury to one of the final 2 pairs during the week of training. If that were to happen, we wouldn't have a show.

5. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Ah, that makes sense. I never watch these reality shows unless figure skaters appear. Sandhu didn't quite make it to the final Canada's So You Think You Can Dance and I can barely remember Kristi on Dancing With the Stars. Is it always a final 3?

6. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Kevin - what are the chances of another season? Also, have you considered all pairs or all ice dancers or all adagio-type pairs in another season? That would make it easier to compare Russet to Russet vs. comparing MacIntosh to Russet to Golden Delicious :)

7. Jeanne7

Jeanne7 Member

Battle of the Blades was amazing & did so much for charities and encouraging kids to get interested in figure skating. Disappointed Marie France & Matthieu didn't win --- just LOVED their programs, especially Psy's Gentlemen :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n70uLirz9YM

8. rdavies

rdavies New Member

I think they are probably having a hard enough time getting people to commit so I don't think they can be too narrow in their scope.

Aside from that, as Sandra said, what they are looking for is diversity, I personally would rather see the different styles.

The problem comes from the fact that it is not a real competition but a feel good one. I would have liked to see a skater's overall skill set more considered rather than the excellence of one or two tricks. If a skater is not going to challenge themselves with new skill sets, of course they will be consistent and not make mistakes.

The only fair way to judge would be to have the judges decide and not the public but the whole premise of the show is public involvement so that is unlikely to happen. This year they would have had to ice Shae/Anson and Brian/Jessica earlier but fan support kept them around longer.

9. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

In the weeks leading up to the finale, what is presented on the show has to draw commentary from the judges (positive/negative/neutral) and gets scores from them. It also has to draw votes from the viewers - some of the latter may be swayed by the comments; some may know a bit about skating and base their votes on their knowledge; some may know nothing but are supporters of the charity/charities represented or are from the geographic area associated with the hockey player (either their home or the team they played with)/skater.

I was impressed with the effort to get some pairs skaters to do dance numbers/vice versa in the Olympic salute week. We saw Violetta having to work on unfamiliar footwork, for example.

10. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Congrats Kevin on another great season. Wouldn't miss it! The only thing I hate is that any team ever gets eliminated - I love to see them improve from week to week and try new things, new styles. Congrats on PJ judging. He brought credibility and stability to the hockey player view of things.

11. badskater62

badskater62 New Member

I understand what you are saying, and fully remember Marie-France's accident on the first season, when it became a three way skate off, but I believe there is a way around it. If, at the beginning of the season, the skater's agreed that if one of the final two were injured, the last pair voted off - would step in. This way three pairs would still train for the finale, with the third pair fully understanding that they would only be competing if there was an injury. This would not take any extra weeks to complete the season and would be more fair to any ice dancers/adaggio teams. That way Canada only votes on two teams.

I am not a skater, but if I skated as an ice dancer or adaggio team, I would be very hesitant to continue to sign up for any competion I would have no chance of winning. I haved watched every show (20 times) saved them all to my computer.. can't get enough! But, before you think I am slanted toward ice dance/adaggio, I have to tell you these were foreign concepts to me before this show. Val and Katia had me from the moment they began skating together! This show has shown me there is so much more though, and I would love it to continue, but if and when the dancer/adaggio pool dries up, the show will be poorer for it.

Sorry, not really bitching, just trying to find way to make it fairer. Claude and Shae just had a magic that first season... He had to be my least favourite player and all of sudden, I was seeing a completely different side. I loved it! Hallelujah! and MF and Stephane... sex on ice! What a perfect show!

We just need to find a better way to close it!

12. apollo13

apollo13 Member

My two cents: I think the real competitors in BOTB are the hockey players. These hockey players (particularly in Canada) are the real stars of the show. The figure skaters are basically their coaches, basically teaching them several new skill sets - how to lift a female skater, how to throw a female skater, how to do footwork, how to emote on the ice etc. etc.

It is impressive how these figure skaters were able to transform these hockey players in a few weeks. To be able to teach them to role-play in the front of an audience, it is amazing. To be able to teach them fancy footwork, that's incredible! To teach them how to lift a 100+ lady over their heads while skating forward and smiling is almost miraculous. To teach a hockey player (not the Stanley Cup) how to throw someone over their heads some fifteen feet above ground and catch her on the hips, in a matter of eight short weeks - well, that's absolutely fantastic - it is not a matter of brute strength, it is a matter of timing, of skating together, of risk and trust! Kudos to these hockey players! Applause, applause to their coaches, the figure skaters.

Desperado and (deleted member) like this.
  13. rdavies

rdavies New Member

14. badskater62

badskater62 New Member

Anyone else wondering if there will be no more Battle of the Blades, not that CBC now longer has HNIC? Maybe the producers can switch to Rogers as well.

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Rogers owns the rights over all NHL marketing and presentation, but CBC has rights to air the Stanley Cup playoffs and HNIC for the next four years, at least according to the report I heard last night on the 6pm news on CBC Radio 2. I'm not sure how much Rogers controls the doings of retired players, although they might control old NHL footage. CBC might no longer want to produce or fund BOTB, which has been an issue all along, or Rogers might decide to throw money at it as part of its marketing scheme.

16. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if the CBC has the money to keep BOTB going. Perhaps, one more season. Rogers will not control the retired hockey players, they were part of the player's union.

I am not a hockey fan, but I read quite a few on-line comments about this deal. Most of the comments stated that Roger's Sportnet has horrible hockey coverage in all respects, ie play by play, analysis, camera work, and so on. From the sounds of it, they have a lot of work to do to keep Canadian hockey fans happy.

17. blueglass

blueglass New Member

CBC gets to show HNIC, but won't get any revenue from it. Seems a weird setup to me. Figure skating is a big draw so they may want to go after BoB for the advertising revenue.

18. badskater62

badskater62 New Member

pixie cut and (deleted member) like this.
  19. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

20. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

The legal stuff at the end of each Battle of The Blades telecast clearly states that it is not affiliated with the NHL for what that is worth as far as the future of the program goes. I thought they had already told us there is going to be a new season next fall? Did I imagine that/