CBC's "Battle of the Blades" is coming back!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 3, 2013.

1. halffull

halffull halffull kind of day

2. rdavies

rdavies New Member

I've been trying to post something and it keeps saying it will be reviewed by a moderator, what's up with that. Perhaps newbs can't post anything with links?

Any howser, will be interesting to see which routine J and V recycle, will it be Pink Panther or the Russian routine. Pink Panther was more about character development but the Russian routine had that and maybe more difficult elements. Wonder which they will choose?

Just watched their Elite Syncopations again and it was very good as well but I don't think they will use it as it ventured into what might be a discomfort zone for them. I really liked the first lift they did in that routine where he lifts her up to chest level, waits, and then hoists her over his head. Quite cool.

Also just watched some mini Blades stuff. Did anyone get the feeling that Calgary Winners Jamea & Michael have got something. They were born to perform. Maybe a young Virtue and Moir in the making.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  3. badskater62

badskater62 New Member

4. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

I like the programs tonight, but miss the skating skills displayed by Grant & Sinead.

5. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Sorry I didn't do any pbp reporting this evening - I was late getting home from a funeral and reception and had to catch up on my recording.

Each team did a new number first and then they chose to repeat a previous one.

No judges scores this week. Just comments. Voting is open until Friday.

Everyone skated well and got positive comments.

6. rdavies

rdavies New Member

In the previous years, I had picked who I thought would win only to find later that somebody else did. This year, I would be happy with any of the final three. It may be a cliche but they are all deserving and all skated well.

I would hope that Amanda and Sinead will be invited back, don't think we'll see Jessica again. After watching the show's intro, it became clear that Marcy has been on twice and we don't know a thing about her. If she ever accepted another invite it would be nice if she lucked into a better partner (skating partner that is).

7. sequins

sequins Active Member

Agree with everything you said. I honestly have no favorite this years and would be happy to see any of them win. I too hope they will bring back Sinead and Amanda. I didn't know much about Amanda but she's been just fantastic, a revelation. No Jessica ever again please, but Marcy I hope comes back again and has a better fate as well. It's been a really enjoyable season and with all the retirements after this year maybe we'll see some fresh faces next time.

8. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

Got my tickets for the finale! So excited!

9. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I voted for Amanda Evora & partner. I really think they are the class of the field this year.

10. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

11. rdavies

rdavies New Member

While I think BOTB should strive to use Canadian skaters as they are more known to the audience, this year Sinead and Amanda endeared themselves to the viewers as does Violetta (who is now a citizen) I think if MF wins that might be the end of her as a competitor (busy schedule as coach)

Speaking of busy schedules, I'd like to see Megan Wing and Aaron Lowe get involved. But as parents of two year old toddlers and successful coaches they might be kinda busy.

If it comes back for another season, I'd like to see more emphasis put on the hockey players to skate not just be moving pedestals. Maybe they should have a Gary Beacom bootcamp. :)

12. unchat123

unchat123 Active Member

I wish they'd get more female hockey player/male skater pairings. I guess the women hockey players aren't "big names" who will attract viewers, but as someone who knows absolutely nothing about hockey the impression I got is that this season's hockey players aren't too well-known either.

13. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Mathieu Dandenault won three Stanley Cups. How could he not be well known?

14. unchat123

unchat123 Active Member

One article I read recently (that I believe was posted upthread, but I can't find it now) said something to the effect of, "compared to the big names of earlier seasons, this season's roster of hockey players hasn't sold more than 12 jerseys between them." I am going off of that as, I repeat, someone who doesn't know anything about hockey. Yet even I have heard of players like Fleury, Domi, Lemieux and Bure, but none of this season's names rang any sort of bell to me.

15. pixie cut

Undoubtedly, Lemieux, Probert and Daneyko are iconic names, but Simpson, Simpson and Hulce are not. The Bure you heard of is Pavel Bure, one of the all-time greats. Valeri Bure (Pavel's brother) was a total also ran best known for marrying a sitcom actress. I've read the criticism that this year's hockey players are lesser known, but I disagree. I think year's hiatus hit the show hard.

16. unchat123

unchat123 Active Member

Probably re: Bure. But I did know who Valeri's wife is :) And I probably confused Claude Lemieux with Mario Lemieux.

17. pixie cut

Candace Cameron who was on Full House.

Claude Lemieux (who is not related to Mario) is famous in his own right. He was revered and reviled. He totally has his own fame.

18. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

BOTB is different from other reality competition shows in that the contestants basically come from the same subset of celebrity--athletics. Even more specifically, hockey. Even more specifically, men's hockey. Even more specifically, retired men's hockey players. You don't get the same level of diversity that you see on the other shows (good or bad).

It's not just personality (although it is that - after awhile, the sincerity and earnestness can be rather mindnumbing), it's also the style of skating. For the most part, the skaters have the same strengths and weaknesses--it's more a matter of degree of those strengths and weaknesses.

I would probably be more interested in seeing other skaters besides hockey players, like speed skaters or short-track skaters.

19. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

20. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Ah, I remember Mario Lemieux from the era when there were only six teams. Players like Bobby Hull, Bobby Orr, Guy Lafleur, Serge Savard, Guy Lapointe, Yvan Cournoyer, Ken Dryden, and of course we still hear of Tim Horton ;). Alas, you will not see some of these names on BOTB unless they can drive around lifting the ladies with forklifts.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  21. victorskid

In the current times of so many hockey teams in the NHL, of many teams located outside of Canada (and not playing in Canada that many times per season), and of many non-Canadian players, I'm guessing one would be hard pressed to find well-known former players with name/face recognition beyond the most rabid Canadian hockey fans.

Hockey per se continues to be popular but there seem to be fewer "stars", especially after they retire.

22. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

True. I was a more avid hockey fan during the 6 team era. Once the number of teams increased, hockey seemed to have become more watered-down for me. I don't watch as much as I did back then. Too many teams and players to track...fewer memorable names. Although, Sidney Crosby may stick in the memory of Canadians for obvious reasons ;).

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  23. victorskid

Especially Nova Scotians :D

24. rdavies

rdavies New Member

Mario wasn't even born when there were six teams and most of the guys aside from Hull and Horton had their heydays in the 70s long after the original six (ended 1966-67).

Who was it here who suggested Jean Ratelle? He would have been a great fit for BOTB, problem is, he's 73 years old :)

25. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I knew who Claude Lemieux was because he's usually been cursed about by friends and family. ;) I think he played in to that Domi/etc. aspect of tough, mean players that were putting on satin shirts. But Claude took it a step further than Tie Domi and Bob Probert, because he proved REALLY talented. I knew a few hockey fanatics who tuned in out of shock to see "The Pest" be so... not pest-like.

Even though this year didn't have the name-draws that the first season (and second to a lesser extent) did, I have to say it's been fun to get to know the hockey players. BOTB seemed to at least get good characters that have been just a tonne of fun to watch. Amanda and Scott haven't been fun because he's famous, but because he's fun to watch on ice and seems interesting in the fluff pieces. Maybe it's just me, but I found that sort of lacking in the third season. Or maybe Tessa just stole the show-- she had more personality than Elena, Tanith and Violetta's (young and talented) partners combined. I've simply found this year more engaging, but maybe I'm just reaching.

Count me in as team Amanda & Scott, and also wrong about the influx of American/international girls this year. The only skater I don't want to come back is Jessica Dube. Amanda & Sinead have been a real treat!

26. pixie cut

Amanda and Sinead both did great jobs. At times Jessica Dube was painful to watch.

27. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Sorry, I must have been thinking of Laperriere. Although the name Mario Lemieux does ring a bell in my mind from the days of yore.

When I listed examples of various known hockey players of the past, I didn't mean to imply they all played during the 6 team era. Although some did. Laperriere, Cournoyer, and Savard were part of the 1967 Montreal Canadiens team which competed against the Toronto Maple Leafs (which included Tim Horton and Eddie Shack) in what some people consider to be some of the best hockey games ever played. It was also the last time the Toronto Maple leafs won the Stanley cup, or even reached the finals. It will be a riot on Yonge street if they ever do it again.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  28. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

During one of the background pieces, Jessica mentioned she was somewhat shy. I guess that is why she doesn't show more emotion when skating. Like Oksana and Vlad, I found Jessica and Brian's routines to be basically formal figure skating. They stayed as long as they did because of huge fan support. They were the only team this season to be voted out of the bottom two.

29. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Can some kind FSU'er give us updates as the finale plays out tonight? :watch:

30. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

That is an interesting idea. We certainly have some well-known skaters in both in this country.