CBC's "Battle of the Blades" is coming back!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 3, 2013.

1. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoyed yourself, and thanks for the great report!

2. badskater62

badskater62 New Member

Marie France and Mathieu are skating to Love Story ?
    Amanda and Scott are skating to Bolero?
    I wonder if all the ice dancers will do pairs tributes and pairs doing tributes to ice dance?

3. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Great report and pics - thank you so much for taking the time to do this! :cheer2:

4. sk8rfan

sk8rfan Active Member

I was there to watch a few weeks ago and I'm so lucky to be going back for the finale!!! By far the best skating show around!! Wish we here in the US could produce a show as fun as this!!!:):):)

5. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I think it says a lot when you and Heather are prepared to come up here and see it. Hope you both enjoyed Toronto.

6. rdavies

rdavies New Member

Pretty good selections for each. Because Bolero is such an iconic routine by a dance couple I thought A and S would be a poor choice to present it, but thinking back to the music (and it's a powerful piece) they might have the power to carry it off. Rumour has it, they''ll be doing a big trick, assuming it's them.

From Jamie Sale's blog (but I do know that this week we will see something SPECTACULAR that will blow everyone's minds...EVEN mine and Dave's. (Dave meaning David Pelletier, he's guesting this Sunday as Kurt is away). It's a surprise but I can tell you that we don't always see this done in amateur skating, and if we do it's not always done well. This from what I've seen is RIDICULOUSLY GOOD, especially that it's a hockey player doing it after only training for approx 2 months. )

It's either going to be the skate of the night or they are going to be saying ta ta along with Jess and Brian.

The BOTB universe is unfolding as it should. I know everyone loves Shae but Anson just never had it. I can remember their first skate and thinking that the choreography covered up some stuff that would eventually be exposed, and later it was.

Doesn't seem to be much (pardon the expression) love for MF and Mathieu among the fans (quiet support), especially with how well they have done. Fortunately for them, the routine chosen for them is a strength. They'll do a great Love Story.

My favourite team from the beginning (Grant and Sinead) have their strengths as well. Lifts don't seem to be one of them (unless it's Sinead doing the lifting) If they can stick to their dancing strength, they'll stay safe.

Really it comes down to Amanda and Scott's skate.

So that leaves Moonlight Sonata (J and V?), and Mahler Symphony # 5 (if I interpret a teaser photo from Grant and Sinead correctly) Just guessing these selections, I really have no idea if they are correct. I did correctly match the Iconic Duos and songs though. :)

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  7. honey

honey Active Member

I think Jason and Violetta are doing elite syncopations (Wilson and McCall 1988). There was a clip on Instagram.

8. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Do you mean support in the live audience at the show, or among the voting public in general?

For three weeks, Jessica/Brian have been at the bottom after the judges scoring, then voted out of the bottom by their fans. For the past two weeks, Sinead/Grant had been bumped into the bottom instead. That would seem to imply Marie-France/Mathieu must have had more support among the general voting public.

9. badskater62

badskater62 New Member

10. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

11. rdavies

rdavies New Member

BOTB really does know how to match couples and routines. V and J should do well with this.

12. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard how the show is doing in the ratings this year?

Thank you for hunting this down. :) Wonderful number!!! S/P really did have an amazing body of work as professionals.

13. sk8rfan

sk8rfan Active Member

Haha! Well I'm a parent of someone on the show so......but regardless it's still an awesome show!! Love Toronto so that's yet another reason to go!!! :)

14. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I'm presuming Amanda! Boy is she ever kicking butt in this show! I really hope she makes the cut tonight; she really deserves to.

15. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Next weeks theme is skaters choice.

16. sk8rfan

sk8rfan Active Member

No, not Amanda but she's definitely doing great!!

17. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Honestly I don't know if I would have made the drive if Amanda wasn't in the cast (it's a nearly 8 hour drive each way for me counting traffic and the border crossing) but the show as a whole was definitely worth the drive for me last weekend and I also got to spend time with a great friend of mine that I don't see very often (who also saved me from hotel costs which of course I ended up spending at Roots instead, LOL) so it was doubly great for me. It seems like everyone on the show is having a good time with this season so that makes it extra fun for us fans! :cheer:

GO AMANDA & SCOTT TONIGHT!!! :cheer2:

18. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  19. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Ready for the double elimination...

In tonight's skate-off - Jessica & Brian; Marie-France & Mathieu

20. victorskid

Up first - Amanda & Scott - Bolero - they did a triple twist that made David Pelletier (guest judge replacing Kurt) hate them! - 18.0 (sixes across the board) [Amanda had to have 3 stitches during training]

21. victorskid

Brian Orser & Javier Fernandez in the house & introduced :)

Up next - Sinead & Grant - Mahler's 5th Symphony - 17.3 [there was a bit of a slip in one lift but overall very well skated with one lift not done on BOTB before]

Amanda & Scott declared safe for a return next week.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  22. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Thanks for the updates. I usually go to the show but I'm out of town and unable to watch. So excited to hear about Amanda's triple twist. Hope video pops up online quickly!! Also very glad to hear she's safe for next week - because I have tickets again :)

23. victorskid

Tracy Wilson in the house & introduced.

Violetta & Jason - Elite Syncopations ("Maple Leaf Rag") - 18.0 [Violetta got credit for having worked on her footwork!]

Sinead & Grant continue "on the bubble" with the lowest judges score...

On to the skate-off.

24. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

What happens if both teams in the skate off also happen to have the lowest scores of the night?

25. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Last week the way they explained it was that one of the bottom two couples in the skate off would go home, plus the lowest scoring couple of the other teams who were not in the bottom two.

26. victorskid

First in the skate-off - Jessica & Brian - Moonlight Sonata - 17.2 (smoothest skate so far for them)

Apparently Jessica had a bad fall in the dress rehearsal and they decided to leave out a throw in the live show.

27. victorskid

That may not be the case.....

28. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

We visited with Amanda backstage after the show last week and that's the way she explained it to us. My apologies if it's not correct.

29. victorskid

Final couple - Marie-France & Mathieu - Love Story (there was a slight imperfection on the first lift that they managed to cover up) - Ron says that they need to score higher than Jessica & Brian to win the skate-off and higher than Sinead & Grant to skate next week. Scores after the commercial break....

M-F & M - 17.8 [David gave them a 6.0 despite the imperfection; Jamie chastised him - said she wanted to but gave them 5.9]

Eliminated tonight - Jessica & Brian; Sinead & Grant.
    Grant will be throwing his hockey skates in the garbage :)

30. victorskid

Next week the final 3 get to skate two routines each.

So we will see (in alphabetical order): Amanda & Scott; Marie-France & Mathieu; Violetta & Jason