CBC to sell bold

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by shutterbug, Apr 7, 2012.

1. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Part of the budget cuts: CBC slashing 650 jobs
    Sad news for skating fans in Canada. :(

2. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed: :wuzrobbed:

I finally got digital and ordered this channel!

3. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

VERY sad news, indeed - I have to wonder a) who will buy BOLD and b) whether they will have any interest in broadcasting skating.

Since it is CBC that has the contract with the ISU, it might be possible to work out some sort of deal for the BOLD buyer...

4. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

Possible but unlikely , skating is not really a high viewer show at present....:(
    Boo loved bold and pj

5. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

This is all a part of the Conservatives ideological plan to destroy the CBC... and now it begins. They can purposely lie to Canadians about spending an extra $11 Billion on fighter jets with no engines that even the USA says is a flawed process right now... but they can cut 20,000 jobs and destroy one of this country's foremost institutions! Yep, that's Conservatives at work for you... :rolleyes:

6. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

I'm so sad about this cut.

The only good is that if it weren't this cut, it could be more job cuts. People's jobs are more important than my enjoyment of the channel.

7. puglover

puglover Active Member

Terrible news!

8. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Canadians...stupid enough to continue to vote that crowd into office. :blah:

9. A judge

A judge New Member

Hopefully, it will take a long time for the CBC to sell BOLD.

10. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I live in Alberta... How do you think I feel right now about the Wildrose Surge? :scream::yikes:

TygerLily and (deleted member) like this.
  11. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

That SUCKS! Hopefully cbcsports.ca will still provide full coverage of Worlds!

12. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

I read about this. Cancel Don Cherry's contract, that should save some major change.

Bastards.

kylet3 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I would be ALL for this! :D

14. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

:( Deep depression......

15. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

That's terrible news. I missed that completely. It seems like every govt slashes the CBC budget. It's a wonder the corp still exists.

16. victorskid

I know this is more appropriate for the Politically Incorrect forum but my deep depression began the moment I realized that the "Harper Government" had received a majority in the last election. I knew that the country was in trouble - it's only just begun...

17. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

This is awful news, especially after CTV's dismal coverage of Canadians.

18. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Oh dear indeed, can we cut the salary of every MP by 10 percent and put that into a fund to save Bold?!

19. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

WHAT???? The year before the 2013 Worlds in Canada? OMG!! :fragile:

20. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Usually I start worrying about the FS coverage in the fall - but the worrying starts as of now. It would be awful if we lost the BOLD FS coverage in Canada. . .cbc.ca is an alternative, but I just find it more relaxing to watch FS on the bigger screen from the couch, rather than on the smaller computer screen at my desk. And I usually watch delayed coverage, and the cbc.ca site gives away the results as soon as the competition is done.

And we won't even have Ice Network or Universal Sports as an alternative because CBC will retain broadcaster results despite its paltry coverage of about five skaters/teams event.

This news has shaken up my world in a rather unpleasant fashion.

:(

21. The Accordion

The other thing is CBC.CA freezes a lot. And if you need to hit refresh you have to watch all the ads again which can be so awful when you are watching someone you really really want to see!

22. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

This really sucks for the Canadian fans.

23. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

At least some of you have the cbc.ca option. For those of us in rural areas, we can't even access that due to still being in the stone age of Net Access w/only Dial Up available. Plus, it's not just us this hurts. The skiing fans will also now have to either wait for the delayed coverage or going to cbc.ca to watch, as they were showing all of the Alpine circuit live the last couple of years too.

Then there's the fans of the Summer sports, such as Spruce Meadows' equestrian events, who could watch those events live as they happened instead of having to wait a week or two to see it on the CBC as a packaged piece.

So it's not just us skating fans who are hurt by this. I'll miss the coverage. Won't miss PJ that much, but will miss the coverage.

24. baron

baron Guest

Hi
    Well I have just read this thread and it is very sad news for me. I really enjoyed the Bold coverage because they showed all the skaters and not just the final group.

Well this is another gift from our beloved S Harper not. I cannot understand with his history of cuts in his first go at Prime Minister that Canadians would give him another majority. Mabye after another four years of cuts they will think again.

I will miss the coverage but hey I will remain optomistic that the new owners if anyone does buy it will continue with some of the same coverage.

When we know who buys it it would not hurt to write. The squeaky wheel gets the grease so it would be worth a try.

Baron

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I fear also for the future of Battle of the Blades.

26. victorskid

That thought occurred to me too :(

27. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

I was wondering about BOTB as well. Only info I could find was this tweet from Sandra Bezic on March 21:

28. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I think CBC is more than a station it is a part of our culture - those funky shows that are just Canadian we won't get anymore as they don't make as much money as the crap that comes from some of those other stations that aren't Canadian programming.. :(

29. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

But Battle of the Blades is on the main station, not BOLD.

30. The Accordion

And haven't the ratings been really good?