CBC & their partners have announced Sochi Olympic coverage plans

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by victorskid, Jan 20, 2014.

1. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

manhn and (deleted member) like this.
  2. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

What is Sportsnet One? Is that just the regional version of Sportsnet? I thought it was called Sportsnet East, or Sportsnest West, or Sportsnet Central.

I'm so relieved they will replay the hockey games.

So, if I have this right:

Team Event
    Thur Feb 6 Team Event Shorts: CBC
    Sat Feb 8 Team Event Free (Part One): Sportsnet
    Sun Feb 9 Team Event Free (Part Two): CBC

Pairs
    Tue Feb 11 PSP: Sportsnet
    Wed Feb 12 PLP: TSN

Men
    Thur Feb 13 MSP: TSN
    Fri Feb 14 MLP: TSN

Dance
    Sun Feb 16 SD: TSN
    Mon Feb 17 FD: TSN

Ladies
    Wed Feb 19 LSP: TSN
    Thur Feb 20 LLP: TSN

No info on the gala.

3. sequins

sequins New Member

Thanks I appreciate it. I have been searching & wondering when they were gonna release the broadcast schedule. This is a start but I wish cbc would have a schedule up of all the events times/channels on their website.I can't find it and I would like to adjust my sleep/work schedule accordingly:)
    I believe Sportsnet One is the national channel. If you check their website you can find out which channel it is for your area and service provider. http://www.sportsnet.ca/one/

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  4. victorskid

I expect there will be highlights/replays from the skating on the main CBC network. The media release details pertain to the live events. The schedule of those should be on the Olympic site somewhere, I expect.

5. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

As far as I can determine Sportsnet 1 is not the Sportsnet east - west etc. On Rogers it's up in the 90's, somewhere around TSN2.

6. victorskid

Sportsnet One (or SN1) is a relatively recently launched channel that appears to normally offer hockey games of local interest - e.g. in Ottawa it's used for Senators games.

Here's a link that will tell you what number it is with various providers: http://www.sportsnet.ca/one/

For me, with Bell Fibe, I get it on 1418 in HD.

7. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

My friend in Toronto doesn't get this on her basic cable. Incredible but it looks like staying at home may be my best option to seeing the most skaters live on normal TV. Hell just froze over because I never would have imagined American TV ever topping Canadian or European, for showing live figure skating for an Olympics, even with 9 time zones' difference.

8. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Your friend can add a channel or a set of channels for a month, than cancel if she has a digital capacity.. which she must.

9. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

People in Toronto don't get CBC, TSN, and Sportsnet on their basic cable? My parents in Vancouver have basic cable but get CBC, TSN and Sportsnet (and NBC). Not Sportnet One.

10. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

OK, thanks for this info. I'll let her know..and offer to help with the bill, of course.

11. victorskid

TSN and Sportsnet are not part of the basic cable everywhere - I know, for example, that the mother of the late Rob McCall (who lives in Dartmouth, NS) could not watch Canadians because she doesn't have TSN. The same applies to my neighbour here in Ottawa.

12. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

The website, A Rouge Point, kindly made a rough sport-by-sport schedule. Everything is in Eastern Time.

http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.com/2014/01/19/2014-winter-olympics-competition-schedule/

13. sequins

sequins New Member

Thank u manhn for finding that:) Much appreciated!

14. vmfan89

vmfan89 New Member

Wonderful! Thank you!

I was wondering if the schedule is the same for radio-canada? I usually don't watch skating in French even though it is my first language, but I really don't think I will be able to watch if Kurt Browning is commentating. He really ruins the experience of watching skating for me with his constant chatter about himself, the shows he did, the coreography he did, his experiences as a skater, etc. I honestly think he sometimes forget he is watching someone else skate. It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't chat during the performances, but really he rarely comments on the skating at hand!

Ok rant over... but anyway I heard that Joannie Rochette will be commenting on the French side, can anyone confirm?

15. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Yes, Joannie is working for RDS.

I agree that Kurt talks too much about himself, but I will take him over Rod Black any day and anytime. I find myself yelling at the TV when Rod is on.

16. victorskid

I have found that Kurt is talking less this season, especially about himself.

17. GoldenLady

GoldenLady Member

I agree - In other seasons, I had found Kurt's commentary to be so annoying that there were times I had to turn off the TV (rare for me with figure skating!), but this season he's been much improved. Thank goodness!

About Sportsnet, Sportsnet 1 is a digital channel that has to be subscribed to, not the "regular" Sportsnet channel that we got as a Rogers cable channel. (That one is now called "Sportsnet Ontario" here.) I get the latter channel, but not the former, so I may be out of luck. :(

18. sequins

sequins New Member

4rkidz and (deleted member) like this.
  19. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

20. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

I just downloaded the CBC Olympic app to my iphone. So far I'm seriously impressed. The start orders for the men and pairs team shorts are there already and if you click on the skater their photo, bio information and music comes up. I believe I will also be able to watch events through the app if I'm not near a computer or tv. I love it!

21. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Not a great start unfortunately - the first livestream (of slopestyle quals) is currently nonexistent and CBC tweeted they were working on it. Watching on the NBC Sports app with VPN.

22. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

23. mhelliknee

mhelliknee New Member

The official CBC app is really good. The whole programs are available on the app (and the website) and they are excellent quality. The only thing I wish they had was a download option because I'm not sure how long this app will be supported and I can't find good quality videos anywhere else.

24. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

I found their youtube channel clips a great way to catch up on the non-fs medalists I missed.

Click on the magnifying glass below the channel name CBC Sports (not the main yt search form at the top of the page) to search.

Short track speed skating is crazy. :D The Canadian women's relay got silver thanks to China being disqualified.

25. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

I could only find medalists, Canadian skaters, previews and reviews. I am looking for vids of Kurt, Carol, Brenda commentary that was shown on the web stream but chacked from TV (mostly TSN) broadcasts - such as James & Cipres Free Skate, Gold Short Program etc. I was hoping for You tube because I can download which I cannot do off the CBC olympics website. Am I just not searching the right way or something? Can you help?

I think I found Gold but not the others.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014