CBC reporting George Jones has passed away

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Apr 27, 2013.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

My parents were huge fans, so I grew up listening to him. Another part of my childhood gone. :(

RIP Sir!!

2. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Most of my family are country music fans, and huge fans of George Jones and Tammy Wynette. I grew up with country music, and like much of it, particularly the older stuff + bluegrass. I'm familiar with many of Mr. Jones' biggest hits; he had a very distinctive, recognizable voice.

(overall I have VERY eclectic musical tastes)

3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I saw him live when I was somewhere around seven or eight years old. My parents always took us to concerts whenever they could. I can't actually answer the "what was the first concert you went to?" question because no one remembers.

5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

R.I.P. :(

6. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

He Stopped Loving Her Today is one of my all time favorite songs. My mom says that when I was a little girl, and it came on the radio, I would sing along just as loudly as I could.

RIP. :(

7. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

He Stopped Loving Her Today always makes me cry. I went to the local flea market this morning. There is a booth that has old LPs and stereo equipment. They were playing a George/Tammy album. He came to a tiny little town called Catlettsburg, KY every year on the 4th of July and did a free concert. It wasn't advertised and he did it because the mayor was an old friend. It will be sad not to see him there this year.

8. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

After reading of his death yesterday, I Googled some information about him since I really didn't know much other than that he was a singer who had been married to Tammy Wynette. After reading a while, I was curious to find out which country songs are generally considered to be the all-time greatest. All opinion, of course, and there are lots of them out there, but the magazine Country Music Today's list of 100 greatest had Tammy's "Stand By Your Man" as #1 and Jones' "He Stopped Loving Her Today" #2.

9. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Wow, I never knew that about Catlettsburg. Dang, I could have been there most years.

My personal opinion is that He Stopped Loving Her Today is the greatest country song.

10. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

One of the interesting things I read was that they had a hard time recording this song because it was during his drinking years, and he kept confusing the melody with Kris Kristofferson's "Help Me Make It Through the Night."

11. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I honestly thought he died years agol RIP