CBC ices "Battle of the Blades" in budget cuts

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by victorskid, Apr 19, 2012.

1. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

2. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Maybe we will luck out and CTV can pick it up.

It was a great show.

3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That link didn't work for me, so here's another - likely the same CP story:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...blades-as-part-of-budget-cuts/article2407570/

Here's hoping they can sell it to CTV. Likely wouldn't be able to include Ron MacLean as he might be contractually tied to CBC, but no reason why the rest of the show can't go one if CTV is willing to fund it, and thinks they can get advertising support. Still lots of time to pull it together for the fall season.

4. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

CTV would replace Ron MacLean with Rod Black :scream:

5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

This seems kind of stupid, not just because skating fans like it, but because it got good ratings.

It's probably more expensive to produce than a show involving a bunch of people sitting in a studio yakking at each other, but I would guess that BotB gets more viewers than many of those types of shows....

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear this!
    I'm grateful to my Canadian friends for making clips for us to watch.

7. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

This sucks. :(

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Somebody in the comments section of the Globe article said that viewership of the season finales was successively down each year. That being said, I think it still had more viewers than most CBC shows (or other Canadian shows), and generated a lot of buzz.

It also hit a really broad demographic - many of my friends who normally do not watch skating sat down to watch it every week as a family because there was something for everyone.

My guess is production costs didn't provide enough return in the form of advertising and sponsorship dollars for it to continue. Doesn't mean another network might find the equation more viable, but as a friend close to the show just told me "don't hold your breath."

9. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I was afraid this was going to happen. YUCK! And they're putting on another Titanic show? How many of those do we need?

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

No kidding - seems a tad late to ride that wave, no? And I do wonder how the billion Titanic specials and mini series and Cameron's reissue did last week any way. Media were all over covering the story, but did the public buy into the hype? I was bored with it before it started.

11. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

I don't know much about Canadian TV or politics, so the whole issue confuses me. Why would the Canadian government (i.e., taxpayers) subsidize reality TV programming?

12. overedge

Because it's a Canadian-made production, so it creates jobs for Canadians and puts Canadian-based programming on the air.

I think lots of people would prefer Canadian content like arts specials, but without these sort of subsidies Canadian TV would be nothing more than reruns of American TV shows.

13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

PBS broadcast "An American Family" in 1971. Government subsidies for reality TV is nothing new.

CBC produces a wide range of programming. The model has been more BBC than PBS or anything in the US, anyway.

14. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Thanks for the explanation. It seems such an unusual concept to me, the equivalent of U.S. taxpayers subsidizing Dancing with the Stars or Jersey Shore.

15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

In addition to funding to the CBC, productions also get tax credits and grants for Canadian content, whether it's in front of or behind the camera. The production company that produced the show would have benefited from those as well, and it remains to be seen how Harper's latest budget will affect those programs. The affected productions would include shows on every network, plus Canadian productions that air on US networks as well.

16. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Thanks, Jenny. Do they pay the government back out of advertising and sponsor dollars? I read in some of the coverage that some CBC executives, plus people like Don Cherry, have very handsome salaries.

17. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Posted by Battle of the Blades on Facebook:

18. overedge

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but no, the CBC doesn't pay the government back. I don't know why they should.

19. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if CBC had a mandate to keep a certain number of both scripted vs. non-scripted programming for prime-time.

BOTB had a decent season ratings-wise overall, but I think it's season average fell below Dragon's Den, Republic of Doyle, Rick Mercer and Arctic Air

20. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this. Sounds like another quality skating show loss. Not good for the sport & fans

21. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Dragon's Den is the highest rated I think. I know a lot of people who watch it as well as Rick Mercer and Arctic Air. The Republic of Doyle otoh.........(shrug)

22. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I got the feeling last year just didn't take like the previous two. I think one of the draws was the heavily Canadian cast previously. Last year seemed more 50-50 Canadian and American/International.

I will really miss BOTB. I loved watching it week to week, attending when I could. But with everything going on at the CBC, and a guess at how expensive BOTB was to produce, I'm not surprised.

23. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Now I find this kinda funny suggesting that because there were more Canadians in the cast that it wasn't as well received/watched. Since it's a Canadian show that is shown on a Canadian channel and watched mainly by Canadians, why wouldn't you want more Canadians competing? I think, perhaps, that the hockey players weren't as well known and to some degree, neither were the figure skaters -- at least in John Q Public's eye.

Me, I missed Shae Lynn and the show just wasn't the same without her.

Oh yeah, maybe something to do with who was doing the judges -- I got totally turned off by them having JR. Bad enough with Sandra but him -- he often got on my last nerve and twisted it to no end.

24. steph28

steph28 New Member

I will really miss this show.... Professordeb, I also missed Shae-Lynn great deal this fall. This show perfectly matches her, and it wasn't the same without her. Hope CBC will consider to bring it back soon!

25. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I think Andora was saying the opposite - that the previous casts were more Canadian and thus garnered more interest than last year's cast.

26. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

I think its too bad.. I love CBC programs, I watch their news.. enjoy their Canadian focused shows.. I'm afraid this is just the beginning of reducing funding for 'national' type things.. Arts will be next and Culture.. :( even though CTV will hopefully look at picking up BOB - it will not be as good as CBC - just look at the Olympics.. :slinkaway

27. shopper

shopper Member

Such a shame. Loved watching it and there is so little figure skating on now other than amateur competitions

28. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Now that I have reread it, I can see what you mean. Facepalm!

29. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

;)

I definitely meant the lack of Canadian skaters was the issue, not too many of them. Not that international skaters or hockey players are any less talented or enjoyable, (obviously not when considering how terrific Katia and Kyoko were in season 2) but the first two seasons had this real "made in Canada" kind of feel, right from the top with the Bryan Adams theme to Rom MacLean as cohost. Not so much the third season.

:rolleyes: CBC is a fantastic station that has been losing step for years. I must have missed how fantastic their coverage of the 2006 and 2008 Olympics were. Except I didn't, because they really started to go downhill by then. :p

I do think that the show wouldn't be the same if another station picked it up.

30. sequins

sequins Active Member

^Agree. While CBC did the best they could with the Olympics and while CTV was cheesy at times. CTV had so much more to offer when it came to the Olympics. Wall to wall coverage like never before, everyone was watching and they did a great job IMO. Now BOTB on CTV would be a whole other story.

Which leads me to another question I heard CBC just had a bid rejected to cover the 2014 Olympics and CTV is not interested and with the budget cuts how could CBC possibly hope to aquire the rights? Just wondering I'm getting a bit worried we may have to depend on NBC.:slinkaway