Casualties of Nationals, Leftover Skaters

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Nov 10, 2010.

1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

I wish there was some kind of secondary ISU competition other than Worlds/4CC/Euros that the 4th-10th place skaters from US, Japanese, Canadian, and Russian Nationals could compete at after Nationals finished up. While its great for the skaters who get to the Worlds or 4CC team, other skaters who just come up short are often forced to wait until fall for another competition opportunity after getting in great shape for their Nationals. What a letdown! Currently, I am always hoping that the top skaters turn down 4CC so that others get a shot. I'd love it if 4CC expanded to allow for 6 spots per country, but that will never happen. There are so many worthy skaters that never get a shot to do much internationally due to the limited spots/opportunities. :( I wonder if this will ever change....

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

There is a simple solution.

We need to become millionaires and fund a B-World Championships event.

3. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

That's kind of what 4 Continents is for US skaters. We very often send the 3-4-5 or 4-5-6 finishers, sometimes no medalists at all in a given event.

I don't honestly feel any need for another international competition for people not good enough to make a World team. With Sectionals, Nationals and Worlds, the season builds to a natural climax. Another event stuck off to the side makes no sense from either a sporting or business view.

4. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

This thread got me wondering--how long do leftover skaters last? ;)

6. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Put 'em on ice; they'll keep better.

7. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

good one!

I wish there could be "wild card" spots for major championships, to allow a 4th skater from a given country, but it'll never happen.

8. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

OK, I'll try that and see what happens. :)

9. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

In other individual sports' World Championships, what is usually the number of entries for the top countries? Is it 3 as well, or perhaps 4 per event?

10. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

In the dance world, IIRC for the Amateurs, each country is allowed to send two couples per style, so four total (American division isn't competed internationally that much.) It's more based on the federation chosing, not win one and you're in necessarily.

Pro events, anyone can enter most of them, just the worst get cut in the first rounds. Ohio Star Ball (world pro American titles) gives a bye to the semifinals for previous winners and finalists if they come back the following year, unless there's been a partnership change. No one gets a finals bye. Again, anyone can enter, the odds of making all the cuts are slim.

Horses: in hunter-land ;) you rack up points to get to the Zones and national events in the various divisions, meaning the more you show in your Zone, the better the chances of your making finals. Pro/Olympic level, there are lists to qualify for Worlds/Olympics/World Equestrian Games (every-four-year event that is on a two-year cycle with Olys) based on your performance over the year, and you can qualify multiple times on different horses (though odds are they will only send you with one, rather than take two spots.) There's more hand-picking done.

If you don't make the cut, you don't make the cut. Such is life.

11. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I wonder .... Who would want to be introduced at ice shows as the "B-level World champion"?

12. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

And a masters division!!!

13. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

It varies by sport. At the Olympics the number is most commonly 3 maximum. In swimming it is only 2. (This change was made years ago when folks got sick of the US sweeping all 3 medals in a lot of races.) I don't know about the FINA world championships. There was at least one sport at the Olympics that some countries had 4 entries, but I con't recall which it was. Ski jumping maybe?

14. Squibble

Squibble New Member

:violin:

The U.S. sent its seventh-place woman to Worlds in 2008, and its eleventh place woman to Four Continents in 2010. Russia sent its seventh-place woman to Worlds in 2010. Japan sent its sixth-place woman to the Olympics in 2006.

What more do you want? Our Crapovas versus their Crapovas? That's what the Grand Prix is for. :p

15. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Yes, but the difference is our 11th place lady actually brought home hardware. :D

Only for the 6 preliminary events. The Final is different. Unlike Worlds and Olympics, you actually have to be good to go to the GP Final.

16. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

One on each continent, of course. Because travel is a big, expensive thing and we don't want to keep any skaters away who might otherwise have come if not for the expense and fatigue of traveling halfway around the world :)

17. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Alena Leonova is not a good skater in any way other than that she rotates jumps.

18. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

Maybe there could be a B-level competition via teleconference. Each competitor skates in the rink of their choice and a video link is sent to judges at their home or nearby. Think of all the costs this would cut out. No travel and hotels, no ice rink rental, etc.

And, for the audience, there could be multiple arenas/theaters set up around the world that could receive the videos and the audience can watch and react to each performance and that would be transmitted back to the skater. Most likely, there would be some time delays but the ticket prices would be so much lower since it doesn't need to be in a rink.