Castelli and Tran official

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Lara, Jun 10, 2014.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Then maybe they should update Communication 1420 after all of these years.

What the rule does for singles is allow a Federation to seem like they're releasing a skater in X years, but actually add up to an additional season due to the 1 July deadline, which is ridiculous.

2. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if they're "hanging on" to him until later in 2015, in case this partnership with Castelli doesn't work out, and hoping he might try again with another Canadian.

3. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

There really aren't any Canadian girls who could go in at that level though. That's why we've lost a couple of boys and Moscovitch is with a Russian.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

National competitions are sanctioned by the relevant governing bodies and not the ISU.

5. blue_idealist

That's true for now, but maybe they're hoping one will come available. I guess Paige Lawrence isn't continuing, although I don't remember a retirement announcement from her yet.

6. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Last I heard she would continue if the right partner came along but as a reverse jumper that's going to be like finding a needle in a hay stack too :(

7. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see these two skate together, as I am beyond curious to see all the new pairings (ex: today I saw Brittany Jones & Joshua Reagan's skate and was blown away!). :)

With M&M I'm most curious to see how their lifts look and their 3twist; imho Castelli & Schnapir's lifts were so spectacular b/c he was 6'4" and she 5'0", thus their lifts were super high & awesome to behold, and the same thing went for their 3twist. Therefore I'm super curious to see how Castelli & Tran measure up...

8. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

When will we see them in their first competition?

9. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

They are scheduled to compete their short only at the Quebec summer competition on August 9th at 6:35pm

10. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

^Thanks for the information. I'll follow them on the Quebec SC thread in K&C.

11. blue_idealist

I wonder if she still doesn't have a new partner after Rudi returns from his year's personal break, they will get back together. I wonder if she and Moscovitch tried out or didn't because of locations reasons or the fact that Paige is one of Kirsten's good friends.

12. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

??? I'm confused. If they're planning to compete for the US, I thought they could compete ONLY in the US until Tran gets his release?

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

The Quebec club comp. should be sanctioned by USFS (U.S. skaters can compete in Canadian summer competitions and vice-versa).

Tweeted yesterday from Skate Detroit: https://mobile.twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/492771318903758848

14. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Sounds good! Thanks for posting that tidbit from B. Marcotte and Lynn Rutherford. Do we know what C/T's program selections are for the coming season? I know that Julie Marcotte is choreographing, but I don't recall their music selections being mentioned yet.

15. RobAlly

RobAlly Member

I wonder why some new teams are so eager to compete so quickly. In some instances, the fit and skills can click which quickly, and that makes sense. But it would seem an interesting alternative, for a new team to really 'reconstruct' themselves with an attention to fundamentals. Truly building up their skills together from the ground up, so that when they DO finally present themselves to judges, they have that foundation to rely upon. First impressions would seem to be so very important in this subjective sport. I wish them luck, but am a bit surprised they are so eager to go out and compete.

16. aftershocks

^^ Well, it's not like Castelli/ Tran and some of the other new teams are inexperienced pairs competitors. Therefore, if their elements are coming together well, its not unusual to choose to get out there and compete. C/T are only scheduled to compete I believe at an upcoming summer competition in Quebec. New couples need to compete in order to grow as a team in any case. They take what they learn from competition (good and bad) back to the training rink and continue working and developing.

They came together in order to compete, so whose to say (except their coaches) how long a particular team needs to wait before putting themselves in front of judges? It's going to be different for every new pair. For example, Bazarova/ Deputat have already shown what they have been working on in an informal audience session, and Leng/Shnapir apparently have decided not to compete on the GP, but will use that time to work on their skills together and debut at Nationals (altho' they will probably do something locally I would imagine before Nationals).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  17. breathesgelatin

breathesgelatin Member

Hm? They are currently slated to appear at NHK Trophy. Will they be withdrawing?

18. aftershocks

^^Oh, I missed that then. I thought I read that L/S were going to concentrate on working together and not necessarily compete in the GP, but perhaps since NHK is later in the fall/ winter, they feel they'll be ready by then.

19. breathesgelatin

breathesgelatin Member

They actually are at Rostelecom too... Omission in my first post.

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

They haven't announced their program music yet, AFAIK.

The competition thread isn't started yet (info is posted in the Canadian Summer Competitions thread in Kiss and Cry) but will be soon, I'm sure.

21. aftershocks

Good. I wasn't paying close attention. Still, both of those GPs are scheduled late in the fall season (for L/S).

Thanks for the additional info, Sylvia. Do any :sekret: sources know at least what C/T's sp music will be?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  22. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

23. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Dylan and Paige would be unlikely to team up because they jump in opposite directions. Dylan jumps counter clockwise, while Paige jumps clockwise, or reverse. I doubt friendship would hinder a pairing.

24. blue_idealist

I thought that Rudi also jumped counter clockwise, but maybe she didn't have any clockwise guys to skate with at that point.

25. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

No, Rudi is also a clockwise jumper. Most pair coaches in Canada discourage opposite pairs.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Bruno Marcotte mentioned at Skate Detroit that his sister, Julie, choreographed Castelli/Tran's SP to "Ain't No Sunshine" - source link is posted in the Marchei/Hotarek thread.
    ETA from the same article:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  27. aftershocks

^^ Interesting, Sylvia. I wonder if there were technical reasons related to height difference with Simon as to why Marissa' s jump repertoire with Simon was more limited?

BTW, I also wonder if C/T' s Ain't No Sunshine program is with lyrics or instrumental, and either way, whose version? :)

A famous opposite skating pair from the U.S. who enjoyed success was Kristi Y and Rudy G.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  28. blue_idealist

I know there was one pair that jumped in opposite directions at the 2014 Olympics.. for some reason I thought it was Paige and Rudi, but I guess not.. anyone know? I think they were lower-ranked, like around 15th or so.

29. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Woohooo! I loove Ain't No Sunshine! Please let there be vocals! :cheer:

30. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Well-Known Member

YES please!!!! I'm so excited about this pairing. I heart Marissa, so happy she found a great partner!!! Can't wait to see them skate!!!