Castelli and Tran official

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Lara, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to JR Worlds in Tallinn!

But it doesn't appear that Skate Canada plans to release him until the 2015-16 season, which is not unreasonable from their point of view. USFS reportedly did not release Joshua Reagan to compete internationally for Canada until this season, even though his last international (Grand Prix with Cain) was back in the fall of 2011 (ETA: he and Yankowskas withdrew from both their GPs in the fall of 2012).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

His third tweet in your post above said Skate Canada will release him as soon as he is eligible. That should be at the end of January 2015. Either they're holding him longer, which they can, or they've miscalculated when he's eligible.

3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:lol: With all these international hook-ups, figure skating needs accounting experts in more ways than one, eh?

4. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I'm a bit surprised Canada would even be willing to release him for the 2015-2016 season, as that's a shorter time than most skaters seem to wait to get released (as Sylvia mentioned above, the US held on to Joshua Reagan for quite a while). Tran is on the shorter side for a pair skater, so I wonder if maybe they just can't envision him being able to develop a suitable partnership there, especially after the partnership with Purich ended pretty quickly. It sounds like there are hardly any Sr pair girls or guys in Canada at the moment. And it's an unfortunate cycle where a severe lack of Sr pair guys means that girls have little incentive to get into higher level pair skating. But it's of course good for Tran if the partnership with Castelli works out and he gets to continue skating.

5. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

The biggest difference is Tran skated for Canada for less than a year.

6. aftershocks

^^Right. Plus U.S. and Canada in recent years have seen quite few skaters on both sides finding neighbouring opportunities. E.g., Tanith Belbin; Alexe and Piper Gilles; and Canada's David Leenen (Marissa's boyfriend, who once skated in novice pairs for the U.S.).

7. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

True.

Yeah but even someone like Piper Gilles who only had JGP experience in the US was out of Intl competition 2 seasons before getting released. Even if Tran only skated for Canada for one year, he's still a Canadian citizen, and I figured they would hold on to him longer than one season since it seems to be standard to do so. But for whatever reasons, it sounds like Canada has already okayed a release a year from now.

8. aftershocks

Yeah, but I wasn't comparing the different circumstances just noting how often U.S. and Canadian skaters have crossed respective borders seeking opportunities to compete.

In Tran's case, as we know, he'd previously been released by Canada and had skated with Japan's Narumi Takahashi for 5 seasons.

9. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Tanith Belbin - you're still up one ;)

lauren329 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Piper Gilles, Alexe Gilles. I think the two of them together = one Tanith?

11. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

I'm sorry but...just no.

:D

12. Sylvia

As has been pointed out here on FSU before, Belbin doesn't count because she never competed internationally for Canada. :D

I don't think we should go by Mervin Tran's tweets alone as "proof" of anything at this time - his wording ("@SkateCanada has been kind in allowing my release as soon as I'm eligible") may be imprecise. Until he actually IS released by Skate Canada, nothing is for certain.

13. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

I think it was nice of Tran to tweet that though. I interpret that to mean that Skate Canada is not standing in the way of his new partnership, that he must only wait out the period specified by ISU rules.

14. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Exactly. Without knowing the exact language of Skate Canada's response to the USFS release request, nothing is certain. I don't think SC is required to state anything definitive during the ISU waiting period, though they may have expressed something more that leads C/T to feel optimistic. So, fingers crossed for these two!

15. Sylvia

I did, too, which is why I retweeted it. :)

Yes. I wonder if they'll feel ready enough to compete their SP in Quebec next month? I selfishly hope so!

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

In the two tweets posted in succession quoted by Sylvia, he

1. Applies the singles, not the Pairs/Dance, criteria to his own situation
    2. Thanks Skate Canada for agreeing to release him in 2015-16, the earliest it can be done​

Do you think that Skate Canada didn't say anything remotely specific to him, and this is wishful thinking? I doubt he would have tweeted his thanks publicly to Skate Canada, had they not been specific enough for him to tweet 2015-16, including him extrapolating incorrectly from "as soon as you are eligible." (Gauthier might have chopped off his tweeting thumbs.) I think he would have said, "This is my interpretation of Rule 109, and the earliest I can skate is 2015-16" and then, "I need a release, too, and am working with Skate Canada on this."

As a Pairs skater, to skate for the US he needs:
    1. A US citizen skating for the US as a partner
    2. Release from Skate Canada
    3. To sit out until one year after he last represented Canada (24 January 2014)
    4. USFS to process his clearance paperwork, which depends on getting his release from Skate Canada.​

Skate Canada can release him *at any time*: there is nothing to stop them from formalizing it and filing the appropriate paperwork within the timelines of whatever they have in place for these decisions. He would still need to fulfill the sit-out period.

If he/USFS requested the release from Skate Canada in time for Skate Canada to process it and for USFS to file for clearance before 1 July 2014, by not releasing him, it possible that Skate Canada is playing with the dates to keep him from competing until 2015-16. The only exceptions for filing for clearance after 1 July of the current season are listed in Communication 1420 A. as "exceptional cases, when changes meeting the requirements of Rule 109 occur after July 1, (e.g. granting of a new citizenship or completing the one year residence period)." Since he meets neither of these criteria, were Skate Canada to release him from 2 July, USFS would have to hope that the ISU would grant an exception as a bureaucratic hardship for the skaters.

17. aftershocks

^^ Doesn't all of this mean that Castelli/ Tran cannot compete internationally until he is released by Skate Canada, but that C/T can compete at U.S. Nationals in January 2015 (altho' if they place in top two at U.S. Nationals, they will be unable to compete at 2015 Worlds)?

18. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

We're babysitting Bieber for you.....you owe us Duhamel/Radford! ;)

19. aftershocks

^^ Oh no ... :rofl: I seriously doubt Canadians would go for that, most especially cause it's nowhere being an even swap. :lol:

ETA:
    Guess us U.S. fans should count ourselves lucky that Meryl's parents settled in Detroit rather than Canada (since I believe one of her parents/ grandparents has Canadian roots). :)

20. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

You keep your mitts off Duhamel/Radford. They're all we've got at this point! :lynch:

21. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I'm thinking maybe Skate Canada should try and get the Jelineks to reinstate....lol!

22. poths

poths Well-Known Member

I thought Castelli's first name was Brooke, who was a US champ a few years back and probably an olympian, she had gorgeous eyes.

I have no idea who this Melissa is...infact, the last American pair that was in any way memorable to me (for different reasons) was Inoue and Baldwin.

It's a pretty bad state of affairs when one half of your best pair team ever was Todd Sand. ;)

Good luck to this team, they'll need it :)

23. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

You're thinking of Brooke Castile.

24. AYS

AYS Ruder than you thought

Not to throw the thread off the rails but: I like Meno/Sand, but Babilonia/Gardiner were the best US pair team ever, IMO.

I've always wanted to see Castelli in a better fitting partnership from a physical standpoint and have always enjoyed Tran, so I hope they work out and can sort through the various logistics to both their liking. This coming season is going to be absolutely amazing re: seeing how all the reshuffled pairings for both pairs and dance look and do in competition. It is impossible to predict.

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Castelli/Shnapir had very intricate and creative programs last season, thanks to Julie Marcotte.

26. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I think so -- it is just that they can't represent the US until the time has passed AND they have the releases. I wonder if they'll try for that or just take the season to work together. (If they finished well at Nationals, they should be eligible for some team envelope funding. I believe even skaters who were age ineligible for international competition got team envelope funding based on nationals placements.)

27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Yes, there are Nationals criteria for envelope funding. Skaters only have to qualify under one criterion if they are National Champion (A Tier 2), 2-4 (B Tier 1), 5 (B Tier 2), 6-7 (C Tier 1), or 8 (C Tier 2).

The National Champion needs to place Top 10 at last season's OWG or Worlds to get A Tier one funding, but that's the only tier with joint international criteria.

28. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

And neither has Alexe Gilles.

So, starting with LilJen's hypothesis, Piper Gilles + Alexe Gilles = Tanith, if we subtract Alexe Gilles and Tanith from both sides, all we're left with is Piper Gilles or, alternatively, Alexe Gilles = Tanith. :COP:

29. oubik

oubik Well-Known Member

This does not apply for Dance and Pairs you can send requests for Clearance anytime in the year.

30. aftershocks

^^ So, are you saying the rule kwanfan1818 is citing pertains only to singles skaters?

Also, the release pertains only to Tran's ability to compete for the U.S. in international competitions, right? Since he and Marissa will be able to compete in local competitions and at U.S. Nationals, prior to his official release?