Castelli and Tran official

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Lara, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Excerpt from the above article link:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  3. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Best of luck to Marissa & Mervin in their new partnership.

I think since Tran only represented Canada one season, I can see him getting his release from SC. I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

5. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Very exciting! Welcome to the US of A, Mervin! Happy to have you!

6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I'm glad they both found new partners. This could be a very interesting pairing.

7. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I sure hope Mervin can get his release. Should be rather iiiiinteresting in the Boston camp, no, with Castelli & Shnapir both training there with different partners? Although as far as I can tell their split wasn't particularly nasty. It should also be an interesting process for Castelli, considering she skated with Simon for 8 years, from novice through sr level.

8. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I'm very intrigued by this pairing! Best of luck, I can't wait to see them!

9. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I bet he'll get his release. I can't imagine he can get his US citizenship, though. So they can skate at Nationals and Worlds, and on the Grand Prix circuit, but not the Olys.

10. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Tran won't have the US citizenship by 2018 unless he marries a US citizen within 1 year. I have done the Boston-Montreal travel for years and it is absolutely brutal in the winter, even with good winter tires.

11. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

From what it sounds like, C/S's split was pretty mutual and frankly I think they were happy just to have made it as far as the Olympics as they have said themselves that their partnership was often difficult. And both partners found new ones pretty quickly, so it's not like one of them left for a new partner and the other got stranded (ala Yankowskas). So I don't see why they would have difficultly sharing a rink at times.

I admit, I was pretty excited to see that Marissa is going to be skating with Mervin. I loved his partnership with Takahashi and was super bummed when it didn't work out because of logistical reasons. Castilli should be a good fit for him and hopefully he gets his release soon as I don't see Castelli getting a release from the US fed easily due to being an Olympic medalist and all that.

Still, it looks like Simon will be out on the ice competing first; hopefully Tran/Castelli is not far behind.

12. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Maybe C/T's goal isn't the Olympics, but just Worlds? There is still red-tape, but not nearly as much. Marissa already has an Olympic medal, and an individual one is pretty unlikely in any case.

13. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

They may not end up sharing all that much ice time. It really sounds like C/T going to basically be Marcotte's team but are keeping a base in Boston because they plan to represent the US, she has good relationships with her Boston coaching staff and SCoB and Montreal have been working collaboratively for a few years now.

In any event, happy Marissa found a partner and will be back competing (relatively) soon.

14. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

:rolleyes:

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

IMO, the more competitive pairs in the U.S. the better! Bring 'em on! :cheer:

16. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I have to admit this is a bit of a :eek: wasn't expecting this one!

If it works out that they can compete for the US, that'll certainly liven things up at Nats...

17. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

This has been the most interesting off season so far. Good luck to Castelli and Tran. I thought Takahashi-Tran had so much potential, it was almost a tragedy that they had to split.

18. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that Marissa "was not looking to rush into another partnership just to get back on the ice quickly." The fact she forthrightly says she never considered skating for Canada, must mean Marissa had some indication before the tryout that Mervin was willing to skate for the U.S. if the tryout worked well and they mututally decided to partner-up.

Did Marissa tryout with anyone else besides T. Le Duc and Mervin? I imagine there weren't many viable candidates available in any case. Aside from the country affiliation hurdle, Mervin's experience and international success combined with Marissa's domestic success and Olympic experience are certainly great assets to build upon for this new team. Added to that obviously is the fact that something clicked for them both during the two tryouts they had. I love how the article opened:

:D

And the fact Marissa says that she and Mervin have been "good friends" for about seven years, is surely another bonus.

ETA:

Since we can't yet see them together, here they are with memorable past routines with former partners:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5P90eoKGEQ Tran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX-Rk89mddk Castelli

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  19. halffull

halffull Let the decorating begin :)

I am curious to see how this team looks, I can't picture it in my mind. I'm surprised he seems to think it's ok to just country hope from one to another to another. I guess Aaron Van Cleave did this too. Sad there is not a lot of loyalty to your own country. That being said, good luck to this new team.

20. aftershocks

^^ I can't wait to see this team together too, and I feel that way about most of the new pairings. I added past clips of Marissa and Mervin with their former partners to my previous post.

As far as country-hopping, likely most skaters would prefer to continue skating with someone in their own country but that's not always possible and that's just the state of affairs that exists. Obviously that is the reason we see so many global partnerships in pairs and dance (with some of them becoming successful internationally). Obviously Mervin skated for many years (at least five or six) with Narumi Takahashi for Japan because their partnership was working and they were both committed to making it work. Once they achieved success at Worlds, their victory ended up presenting challenges to push for a decision regarding the citizenship obstacle. I am certain Narumi is very grateful for all she learned during her partnership with Mervin and for how their pairing benefited her country. If the citizenship issue could have been worked out, no doubt Mervin and Narumi would still be together -- it was just too tough a hurdle and that's probably largely why they split. Mervin was still committed to that pairing; it was Narumi who made the decision to break-up.

As a Canadian, Mervin worked hard at finding a Canadian partner and that ended up not being as successful as they anticipated. It was heartbreaking for Mervin and Natasha when they didn't make the Olympic team, but surely there were additional reasons why they ended up splitting.

IMO, it's not fair for the skater athletes to have to be faced with such tough decisions, long waits and paperwork because they happen to click with a skater from a different country, when there aren't enough viable partnership opportunities in their respective countries. The rules should be changed.

21. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

It's a shame that Mervin couldn't find a Canadian partner, but as a fan I'm glad Mervin continues competing. Wish the best for them.

22. leigh466

leigh466 Active Member

I was really bummed out when I read that C/S had split, but I have to say, this could be something big. Marissa Castelli is very ambitious and she is totally going for it. Kudos to her. I love Simon, but truthfully he just looks a little dorky out there. He just does not seem quite comfortable in his own skin (or with his own height). I think this pair could make it to World medal position. Mervin and Narumi Takahashi's World bronze medal performance will always be one of my all time favs.

23. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I wonder if Canada has a general policy in place for this situation, or if these things are pretty much decided on a case-by-case basis. I think Canada's current pair situation is shaky enough that a quick release of any of their serviceable pair guys would be a questionable decision. It's unfortunate for the skaters themselves, but I understand the need and desire for countries to try to protect whatever skating depth they have. Then again, perhaps Canada is convinced that Tran really would have no hope in forming a serviceable partnership that would skate for Canada within the next few years. He's on the shorter side for a pair skater, which creates an added challenge, and Canada might see him as more expendable, who knows.

Simon actually sounded like he wanted to continue with Marissa, and she was the one who ended it. But in any event, I agree that they probably wouldn't have a problem sharing a rink. The concern in having ex-partners share a rink/coach is that it could get uncomfortable, hostile, irritating, awkward, etc, for one or both partners, but if C/S didn't get along well to begin with, how much worse could it really get? They already know how to coexist in the same space without getting along.

If Castelli/Tran end up training primarily in Montreal, I couldn't see them making the commute down to Boston all that often anyway. That type of commute and bouncing back-and-forth might get old fast. I would think maintaining some sort of coaching staff in Boston might be most helpful for putting them on the ice at competitions or for when their main coach is out of town, not so much for regular training purposes, but who knows.

24. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

So happy that Mervin has found a new partner. Wish he could skate for Canada, but that does not seem to be in the cards for him. Just happy that he will be skating again.

25. aftershocks

I have a lot of respect for Simon Shnapir, being so tall and working so hard at overcoming the obstacles his height presents, in order to participate in the sport he loves. I am glad he and Dee Dee are feeling so comfortable together. I wish them all the best. In Simon's partnership with Marissa, the success they achieved was due in equal measure to the talent and commitment of each of them and their coaches.

Certainly in her new pairing, Marissa will have a different look on the ice because the height variance isn't as great. But that aspect should work well for Mervin (5`9") and Marissa (5`0"). As well, this similar factor of less dramatic height difference should also work for Simon and Dee Dee.

26. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

WHAT!

Hope this works out.

27. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

:cheer2: Castelli / Tran!!!!! :kickass:

This is one of the coolest new partnerships I can imagine. :biggrinbo Really looking forward to seeing their progress.

28. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

This is great news and I believe a very good match. Finally Mervin has found a partner that he can make
    some noise with. The upcoming season will be very interesting with so many new partnerships.

29. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I wish them all the best!

30. insideedgeua

insideedgeua Member

I don't think Mervin was too worried about his new partner being a Canadian as he also tried out with Brooklee Han the Australian girl.