CAS Overturns Doping Positive for two Belarussian Athletes

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Garden Kitty, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

In a rare ruling, the CAS has overturned a positive drug result for two Belarussian track and field athletes (hammar throw) stripped of Olympic medals from the 2008 Games. The panel found that the Chinese lab didn't comply with required testing and documentation standards and that the athletes will get their medals back.

CAS overturned a positive test for a cyclist a few years ago for the same type of violation (having the same personnel do both the A and B test), although the rules no longer require separate personnel.

2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Good for them!!!

3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I hate to sound cynical, but the CAS made it clear the athletes weren't really exonerated. There is still evidence to suggest they did dope. That was certainly true in the cyclist's case. However, the impact on an athlete's career is so immense from a positive test, that I have no problem with the labs being held strictly to the required standards. If it takes letting someone off who might be guilty in order to make sure the labs comply with the requirements, I'm ok with that.

4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I did see that the Athletes weren't really exonerated and it is not clear what the IOC will do with the people they gave the silver and bronze to after the Belarus athletes were disqualified.