Caryn Kadavy and Jill Trenary- who did you prefer?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Jun 16, 2013.

?

Caryn Kadavy or Jill Trenary (who did you prefer?)

Poll closed Sep 14, 2013.
  1. Caryn Kadavy

48 vote(s)
    68.6%
  2. Jill Trenary

11 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Didn't care for either one

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Loved them both; can't choose

10 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Blair

Blair New Member

She's been referred to more than once as "Jill Treachery" hence why Caryn is doing so well :p

Seriously though; that persona, hair, arm moves and costumes made Jill a gay icon. Love 'er!

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

This. If Trenary had been contending in the Sumners era I think she would have been more successful. As it was she was never gonna beat Witt in her prime unless she bombed (which she never did), and then had to contend with the the huge changes in the 89-92 era in ladies skating technical prowess. That being said she still won a worlds over Ito in the last time figures were held in a worlds, so she still had a very good career. Kadavy more than made up for her amatuer disappointments and bad luck in the hey day of pro skating.

3. medmusclega

medmusclega New Member

Caryn easily....who happens to be my fav skater of all time. I liked Jill, too. I agree with what most have said...Kadavy's 3loop was superior to Trenary's 3 flip; 3sow easily to Trenary; dead heat on the 3toe; Trenary was the better competitor overall...but both suffered with the stress of competition. Kadavy was just a natural and pure artistic skater...which is why I think most put her ahead in the "skating" department. But, Jill was a very good "taught" artistic skater and I thought her Bezic programs were very full and well done. I can't believe some what to strip Trenary of her World title...everyone competed under the rules of their day and Ito blew her figures in '90...her fault, not Jill's. Very sad for Caryn at 88 Olympics after great SP, and that she did not stay in to compete longer to see if she could overcome competitionitis. I agree that the US judges were willing to give her the title (winning two SP, including 88 over Trenary..sketchy combo, and Thomas...clean program) if she could have just handled the LP better. Pro careers....Kadavy found herself in this role...otherwise would have been a much forgotten skater today.

4. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Has anyone posted Caryn's Olympic short program yet? It was exquisite and deserved so much better marks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57AXUFZ_Vho

Although the sound of Peggy Fleming having an orgasm at the .20 mark has always disturbed me. :eek:

5. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

I loved them both but I voted for Jill. I think Caryn was more of a ballerina on the ice, and Jill was the athlete. After the 88 Olympics Jill improved her artistry while working with Renee Roca. That 1990 program was one of my all time favorites. I loved Jill's signature 1 foot axel into the Salchow. Why doesn't anyone ever do that move now a days?

I agree that Caryn came into her own as a professional. Skating some very nice numbers. I think she made a nice amount of money. I remember there was a lot of skating on TV after the Nancy/Tonya incident. Caryn was always competing and she did very well.

I think they both had confidence issues.