Caroline Zhang's career high point will be

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Oct 29, 2010.

Caroline Zhang's career high point will be

1. Olympic Gold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. World Gold

1.6%
  3. World medal

5.5%
  4. Making a World team, top 5 at Worlds

8.7%
  5. Making a World team, top 10 at Worlds

18.9%
  6. Making it back to top 3-4 at Nationals, but not on a World team

29.9%
  7. will never make it back to top 3-4 at Nationals again

35.4%
  1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I was actually impressed with some of Caroline Zhangs's improvements in her first GP outing even though she still has a way to go to regain better placings in competition. Long term I think some of them could pay off for her. What do you think her career high mark will end up being if you were to project now, especialy seeing as that she is now doing to work to fix her jump technique.

2. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

World Team, top 10.

Considering her improvements, she can do well at Nationals, enough to be in the top 3, if others don't do well. JMHO

3. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Well I was gonna say "having dinner with query5" but that's not an option...

Jem X, musicgurl, Cheylana and 3 others like this.
  4. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Based on Nagasu's and Flatt's combined placements in Torino, Zhang will have to win gold or silver at nationals to make the world team this year.

5. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I really like her skating but I think it's going to be hard for her to make the top 3-4 at nationals. There are still so many things she needs to fix and what made her great is fading.

Her improvement of the flip though shows it is possible for her to overcome though so I hope I'm wrong and hope she's does great.

6. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

It's odd that Olympic medal lower than gold is not an option.
    Anyway, I think her high point is in the future, not the past. I voted World gold. :)

7. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

No, it isn't. It's just ridiculous that Olympic medal higher than silver IS an option. :p

8. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

:lol: You took my answer! I'm sure Zhang has no other fan quite like query5/fairly4. :biggrinbo

9. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Ugh what bothers me most was that she should have been on that world team in 2009, but the judges decided to be retards and put an inconsistent Czisny on the team. And guess what, we lost our 3 spots to the Olympics. (I Know, we can argue that Zhang might have bombed, yadda yadda, but compared to Czisny, Zhang was 10000x more consistent in 09 than Czisny ever was.)

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  10. museksk8r

The US entered LA Worlds with 2 spots based on the 2008 Worlds results and they left the LA Worlds with 2 spots. Czisny didn't lose anything that was not already lost. Zhang may have fared the same or even worse in LA . . . you just never know. Worlds pressure is not the same as 4CC or Grand Prix event pressure. Skaters rise and fall from one event to the next.

11. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

I don't mean this as an insult, because it was a great accomplishment ... but I think that Caroline's "career high point" will be winning the Junior Worlds, a couple of years back. :respec:

IMO, this rates higher than making any of the bottom three selections. Certainly better than being an also-ran at USNs, and, yes, even better than making a [Senior] Worlds team and finishing 6-10 (which I believe is a decent possibility).

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I will always believe Rachael and Caroline could have gotten our 3 spots back for Worlds and Olympics. But there is one thing I am not sure of. Could Rachael, Mirai and Ashley have RETAINED our 3 spots? Ashley would have to have 2 great skates, but I guess it's possible.

13. smarts1

Yeah, that's true, but just given Caroline's track record, she peaks late in the season. Even more, it didn't take much for Alissa to place at least 8th in LA (which would have given us our three spots back). All she needed was to land ONE MORE TRIPLE. Ugh, she fell twice in the short and then double a toe in the long. I mean really? Caroline was consistently landing at least 6 triples late that year in the LP.

And as far as everyone was concerned, the point of Worlds in 09 was to gain back our 3 spots, which Czisny didn't help at all.

14. query5

query5 New Member

too musketter and ozzie

i am justj pointing out the prejudices which you obviously and dumb and blind to the point .
    you obvousily hate zhang and obvouisly mean to demean her and can't stand when jpeople defend her.
    personally the way you are talking which talked last two years is her career was over with since 2008 when they started to nail her and let the others go.
    see agznes ast skate canada--overlook her 2nd triple triple and ur.
    they obvously counted. and cynthia overlooked her urs,
    they skated slow and labored but you only notice the mistakes of your enemies
    i was telling everyone c zhangs career has been over for the past two years. only i didn't do it quietly, loudly and got nailed by you guys.
    i am no FAN Of Cheating, lyting , and whatever your sport inspires which obviously you skaters, and fans are fan of lying and cheating, and want it to continue and worse you think you can fool the american public with that garbarge.
    i wonder if skating with the celebirities will be all white.

15. query5

query5 New Member

as in case of the ridiculous poll.
    if you didn't know her career was already over, why post such as nasty thing.
    if you even thought she had a chance why even question it.
    because you know you did your part in hurting her chances, career and character at the same time you build up, rachels, mirai, ashley, alissa, and now agnes,
    you think gao is going to better no, i think her ethnicity will hurt.
    becuase you want it to be and "all white:" club, and all rich club going back to the days of it being "royality sport".
    you haven't and will not change, even you fans approve.
    i dissapprove.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. museksk8r

:lol: Yeah, I obviously spend my time "hating" someone I don't even know. Caroline Zhang is my "enemy"? :biggrinbo:lol: Just because I'm not a fan of her skating doesn't mean that I'm out to destroy her character or that I've drawn battle lines against her and will combat her at any moment. :rofl: I sincerely hope she finds everything she wants in her life to be happy. I reiterate, how could meeting you not be a/the high point in Zhang's life? It would be a high point in mine. I find you hilarious, albeit off your rocker, but it's fun times had by all. :biggrinbo:HA!:

17. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Oh yes ! you're right !
    So, I don't think she'll make the World team this season, and anyway, I prefer Nagasu and Flatt !

18. judgejudy27

One great thing for her is how young she is. She could be competing another 8 seasons. I do think she could win a World medal someday and make an Olympic team and finish in the top 5. She is capable of atleast a Suguri like career in the end IMO.

19. judgejudy27

You are right, I should have had that as a poll option just under World gold and over World medal.

20. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I don't know why people blame Alissa for the 2 spots at the Olympics and just assume Caroline would have been a better option. You just never know what will happen. The way Mirai and Rachel skated at nationals and the Olympics, I was almost certain that they would get us the three spots back for this year. And...uh...no. Remember Ashley Wagner was supposed to be the savior of the B team sent to worlds in 2008 and ended up placing behind both Bebe and Kimmie? FAIL. So while I agree that Caroline probably could have placed 8th...its just too hard to say.

21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Because Alissa came into the L.A. Worlds as the newly crowned U.S. Champion. U.S. National lady champion just do not perform as poorly as Alisa did at Worlds. Even Nancy ended up as high as 5th place overall after her disastrous LP in 93. Alissa was buried in 10th (or lower ?).

22. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

My goodness you're obsessed aren't you. Remember, deranged is never an attractive look...

Oh, I love Caroline btw, I just think you should share around whatever you're taking as it's obviously a great trip.

23. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

query5 seems like a less fun, angrier version of esta. I dissaprove. :p

Anyway, I agree that her Jr. World title or 4CC bronze may be the high points of her career. Yes, her jumps look much improved this season, but she doesn't seem to be enjoying skating at all. I hope to see continued improvement come Nationals and next season. I'm not ready to give up on her completely, but I'm not quite sure how she fits into the U.S. ladies picture in regards to making a WC team or winning another ISU championship medal.

24. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that the USA owned three spots to the Olympics. I thought they were like everyone else and had to earn their spots every time. My mistake I guess :biggrinbo

25. judgejudy27

The problem I see at the moment is while her jumps are getting better, her speed hasnt really improved, and while some of her spins like the Pearl Spin are still spectacular some arent what they had been before at the moment. Still she has many special qualities. It would be a shame if such a talented skater did not win atleast one World medal- even if a bronze. To me she is a standout skater, even with her flaws. And given her age she could be around another 7.5 years as an amateur as I said.

26. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Rachel was 9th this year. That is not that great. So should we hate on Rachel this year for skating crappy and not getting the spots back the way Alissa was hated on last year? If rachel had gotten 5th like she did the year before, we would have 3 spots. So where is all the blame on her? The last 4 years the US Champions have performed not so great at worlds...not sure why Alissa is singled out?

2007-Kimmie placed 4th
    2008-US Champ and silver medalist were too young, US bronze medalist Ashley placed 15th
    2009-Alissa placed 10th
    2010 Rachel placed 9th

Aside from Kimmie's 4th place, none of those placements are very good for the top US lady.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  27. smarts1

^ Alissa's victory in 09 was a big spoof. Rachael's US title in 10 was somewhat of a controversy. Ashley had little experience in 08.

Aside from that, I think the emphasis goes on getting back 3 OLYMPIC SPOTS. The point of the team that went to worlds in 09 was to obtain 3 spots for the olympic team in 2010. One big blunder was sending Alissa instead of Caroline. (I also believe Alissa placed 11th at 09 Worlds, not 10th--I believe Elene was 10th).

I'm pretty certain that Caroline could have at least matched Alissa's technical content in LA, even if Caroline bombed, because Alissa fell twice in the short and only landed 3 clean ratified triples in the long.

28. krenseby

krenseby New Member

Well, you know, I keep on thinking about Morozov's work with Ando, and Tarasova's work with Yagudin and Cohen. Both coaches wanted to see beautiful elements from their students; arm movements, footwork, and spins that emphasize the music and are performed with attention and care. To her credit, Caroline seemed to be going in that direction early in her career as well, but her increasing focus on jumps and speed has most certainly turned her attention away from perfecting the above-mentioned elements. I definitely think she would benefit from intensive and long-term work with a choreographer. All that said, it seems she has a lot of different things to work on at the same time and it has to be difficult. Still, I hope that she doesn't lose sight of the other aspects of skating while working on jumps and speed.

29. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

O Suguri...and her career's still going strong!!!....well... still going :biggrinbo Love her though ahaha!

30. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream New Member

When I watched Zhang's latest programs on Youtube I was expecting the jump technique to be significantly bettr due to all the comments I read about it on FSU, but honestly I see the same sloppy wobbly landings and the same ridiculous mule kick.

That and she's gotten rather wide across the shoulder and put on a whole bunch of weight. She's grown a whole lot but her artistry is still that of a 12 year old.

Now she doesn't have the flexibility she used to have so she doesn't even have her "wow" moves and her spins are noticeably slower.

When Zhang first came onto the scene I thought she might become one of my favorites, a new Sasha Cohen perhaps, despite the fact that I'm vocal about despising her personality I've always expected to liking her skating. However...not only iss he dull and flat, her technique sucks and she's now lost the cuteness of the "baby princess" skater, bulked up in a non-elegant fashion and lost her few "wow" moves.

She'll never get over all those obstacles. Most skaters who have crappy jump technique at least have redeeming artistry, or a good personality you can really root for. This girl has absolutely *nothing*.