Caroline Zhang thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Karpenko, Feb 12, 2012.

1. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

That would be an incredibly ambitious program. I don't see her trying more than one 3-3 in a LP. But it's wonderful to see that her jumping is coming together so well. Having different options in terms of 3-3s is a great thing.

I'm sure that this has been mentioned, but I noticed that Caroline did not receive an edge call for her 3Lz at 4CC. She's improved, but not that improved! :) Still, it's great to see her landing a flutz consistently again.

2. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Asada and Wagner didn't get called out on their flutzes either. It was just a lenient caller.

As a long time fan of Caroline, I'm so happy for her. She looks like she's actually enjoying skating. The turn around in most of her jumps is nothing short of phenomenal. She still needs to get the speed and power up, but that will come eventually (I hope, :lol: ).

3. krenseby

krenseby New Member

Well, I am very happy for her too. In fact, her changes are so significant that basically her jumps are unrecognizable: they are not much at all like they were in the past. When you look at her loop and her flip, isn't it incredible that she's getting some height on them?

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm so happy for Caroline.
    What a pleasure to see such good skating; and a happy, smiling young woman on the ice.
    I hope that she can build on this, and really be a force, next season.

5. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I am so proud of Caroline. Two years ago, she was a broken skater, the jumps were gone and so was the love of skating that she had as a junior. She looked defeated. I cannot believe that she found the money to change her situation and keep going, that she dragged herself back up from the bottom of the elite skaters. Of course, great credit goes to Karen Kwan and Peter Oppegard. Whether or not anyone else changes to them, the example of her return success should be a good lesson for other struggling skaters that it is never too late to go back, to come up again, to survive, to believe in yourself. Perhaps no matter who the new coach is, one can do it if one tries hard enough. Outside of Ashley's determination at Nationals and 4CCs, Caroline takes an equal prize for Most Improved.

6. puglover

puglover Active Member

My hat is off to her - totally amazing. How she ever had the strength of character to keep going, I don't know. It seems to me it would be so much harder to go from being one of the "up and comings"only to face the discouragement and poor results of the last few years. She is an inspiration - she now knows what she is made of and can use that in others areas of her life.

7. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Caroline's never done a solo 3t I think. A more likely layout would be:
    3lo-3lo
    3f
    3lz
    x 2a
    x 3f-2t-2lo
    x 3s-2t
    x 2a

She's done 3s in combo in the past.

8. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

9. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Never was a fan but am now after this season. I had a fork stuck in her. She is a fighter. Not only did she plummet in the ranks, but she watched her close friend win a national championship, and go to the Olympics. That would be enough to kill anyone's spirit. To find the inspiration to go on and rework everything she had learned-she had to have been beside herself with her placements.

In the long run, I think it was good for her to go through this journey. It can only make her stronger in every way, on and off the ice.

10. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

11. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

She hasn't yet landed the 3loop3loop cleanly in competition and people are having her try it in the second half? :eek: (argh I wish she hadn't stepped out of it at 4CCs - would love to hear what Lipinski had to say about that combo)

12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Was the 3l/3l she did at Nats downgraded?

13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

^ Yes, although I woudln't have downgraded it if I were a caller.

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

It was really hard for me to see it from where I was sitting in competition but I've seen her land clean ones in practice.

15. doubleflutz

doubleflutz New Member

Wasn't the 3LO-3LO she did in the SP at 4CCs ratified? I know the calling there was on the lenient side, but I'd count an ISU competition as more noteworthy than nationals for determining whether an element is really ready for primetime/worth the risk of possible downgrades.

16. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

It was clean at 4CCs!

Also those asking, it was "under" at Nationals - Looked great to me though :mad:

17. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

ITA that it was fully rotated, or less than 1/4 at Nationals (bad call), but it definitely wasn't "clean" at 4CC-- She had a messy step-out and near fall even though she cleared the rotation.

As far as next season, I think she should work on replacing one of the 2a with a 3sal since the 2a, albeit improved, is not a great jump for her. That way, she has the option of a 3f/3t if it's going well.

18. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Congrats to Caroline for the comeback
    she'll work harder and hopefully will get good results on her GP assignments too.

19. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

I am so pleased for Caroline. As a long time fan I have been waiting for her rebirth and it looks like she is definitely on her way. Caroline is still
    only 18 yrs. old.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I wonder if she plans to go to college in the fall.

21. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I'm so proud of her!

I was a huge fan of Caroline when she came onto the scene, but I definitely got frustrated with her as the years continued to pass and yet none of her issues were addressed. I never gave up on her, though I did stop expecting her to do well. It's taken her two years but she's really turned herself around. She's rediscovered her love for skating and you can see it every time she steps out there.

What bodes well for Caroline is that she has an innate focus that a lot of skaters don't have. When she was younger--wonky technique and all--she was good at putting out solid programs with consistency. As her technique started to fail her, her consistency left and so did her confidence. But with this newer more solid technique, her confidence and consistency is returning and that's great to see.

The judges appreciate it as well. 117+ is a great score! I'd love to see her continue to work on her speed and reintroduce her salchow back into the mix. More transitions and choreography would be great too and I'm sure those things will come with time.

I don't know exactly how far she can go, but she proved at 4CC that she can be competitive and be a podium finisher. That's a wonderful thing, especially seeing as how most figured she'd never find her way to another podium again.

She's more evidence of what hard work and dedication can get you...as long as she continues to improve, the only way she can go is up.

22. feraina

feraina Well-Known Member

I bet she will not, barring some unforeseen catastrophic event like a career-ending injury in the off-season. She is close to the Kwan family, with Karen as her coach and Michelle as an informal mentor. Michelle's own life experiences showed that if you want to skate competitively at the elite level in the modern era then you have to focus on skating alone; and you can still catch up with education and everything else later, and have a fantastic second career in something else altogether.

23. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I hope she continues. i am a new fan of hers and want to keep watching!! Its so weird...i totally swapped my opinions of Mirai and Caroline this year.

24. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

^^I think a lot of people have...or something like it.

I used to be frustrated with Caroline because of her lack of progress. From the instant she burst onto the scene in 2007, she knew she had technique issues yet she and her coach (Mingzhu Li) never addressed them. I'm thinking it's because from 2007-2009, she did pretty well internationally: she meadaled at both of her GP events and came in 4th at the final her first year senior, 4th at nationals, 2nd at junior worlds; the next year she placed well in her GPs (5th and 3rd), 3rd at nationals, 2nd at junior worlds again and was the top US lady at 4CC finishing 4th behind Mao, Yu-Na and Joannie (which was a big deal).

After those first two years though, things started going downhill and it was obvious her speed and technique were the issue. She finally switched coaches (mainly b/c Mingzhu Li moved to China to coach their national team) and managed to fix her flip, but by then the rest of her skating had gone down the crapper. It's taken her that long to get herself back to where she needs to be. Switching to Peter and Karen seem to have been the magic answer for her. Even last year when she wasn't doing well at all, there was a big change in her attitude. She seemed to know that she was in a building phase and that things would get better...flash forward and here we are. She's improved so much and her good attitude and hard work will help her continue to improve as she moves forward. With skaters seeming to peak later nowadays and Caroline only 18 years old, she could very well reach that potential people spoke of back in 2006 and 2007.

As for Mirai, the only thing holding her back is herself. She is one of the most talented ladies in the world. Her speed is excellent, her jumps are big, her technique is solid enough, her spins and flexibility are amazing, she has this light and energy that makes you want to watch and cheer for her...yet, for the past two seasons, all of those wonderful traits seem to have disappeared. All of it is still in there somewhere but for some reason, she's having a hard time finding the confidence to bring it out.

It's a crime and a shame for Mirai to have missed another trip to worlds. Given the way Alissa skated and the way Agnes imploded, she should have come out and nailed that LP. I doubt if she would have beat Ashley, but she could have made a great run at 2nd place. Mirai just looks dead out there now. It's frustrating to see this super talented skater waste opportunity after opportunity like she has been for the past few years.

I think Mirai needs a change like Caroline. I love Frank and think the world of him, but I'm not sure if he's what Mirai needs. She's learned a lot but it may be time for her to move on. She needs someone who is good at motivating her to move her @$$. I have no idea who this person is, but she needs to find him/her/them. She needs to rediscover her love of skating...if she still has it. I get no pleasure from watching her skate anymore b/c she doesn't look like she's enjoying herself in the least. She looks as miserable as Caroline used to.

I really hope Mirai is able to find what's missing...it'll be devastating if she doesn't.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  25. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

26. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Also, Caroline was the picture of class when I met her last year. She seems like a total sweetheart off-ice, too. Not that her personality is particularly relevant to her skating, but still, she doesn't seem angsty in the slightest.

27. feraina

feraina Well-Known Member

In short, I think Caroline has matured in a lot of different ways. :)

28. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I am glad that Caroline appears to be really enjoying skating, and that enjoyment appears to be carrying her through quite a lot of hard work.

There was something about her SP this season that I found very moving.

29. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

Anyone find a video of her defying gravity exhibition?? i realllllllly want to see!

30. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

she is looking in terrific shape, and her skating is much improved. My second favourite US lady currently.