Caroline Zhang thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Karpenko, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Caroline Zhang kicks so much ass. :respec: Virtually the entire skating world gave up on her, she had the end-of-career "phenom with early success who has a huge reality check to retirement" story written out for her by so many people.... But nope. :D She said I'm going to grow taller, wider, lose every jump I have because my technique was awful, lose most of my extreme flexibility, and fall down the rankings while everybody says I'm done, calls me fat, and work, work, work until I get back to where I did last night. :respec: :kickass:

I never gave up on her (while it seemed like everybody else did) and it's because she has the competitive type A personality mindset of a lion. :glamor: This for me is the real start of her senior career, and she has a potential decade of competitive skating left in her with so much potential now that she has very nice, solid looking jumps to hang onto. I really do think with more work and more improvement, she has the potential to fulfill all of the hype that she generated early in her career. I am so freaking proud of her!!! :respec: :cheer2: :respec:

2. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I dont think she will ever come close to living up to her early career hype which would have been a World Champion, but she has a good chance to make a decent career for herself which nobody would have forseen a year or two ago. Definitely an amazing comeback, but I hope she can just make atleast one World team. It wont be easy, the depth in the U.S for ladies is building up to be something super.

3. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

If she can get the 3toe and/or 3sal back and REALLY work on speed over the summer (the improvement is noted- but much more is still needed), I definitely think she could be a contender again. That 3r/3r will be deadly in the sp if she hits it cleanly next season.

4. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

Caroline has what she needs to be a top lady. She has regained fitness and love for the sport and seems to be dedicated in continuing her technique improvements. I'm sure she will add speed and some more transitions and will be even more kick a$$ next season..

5. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

:respec:

I have so much respect for what she accomplished. She still has room for improvement, but her skating and her attitude lead me to believe she is on the right track to continue to learn and grow.

What a great way for her to end the season! :cheer: Caroline!

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Caroline is such an inspiration!

7. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Caroline is really inspirational, too. I'm proud of her for having the fight and desire to push through all the bad and come out a stronger person/skater. Mirai, take some notes.

Also, she looks really great when she's happy and smiling.

8. doubleflutz

doubleflutz New Member

Even more than anything else about her new-and-improved skating, I'm so thrilled she's reclaimed the pearl. That entire spin sequence she does at the end of her FS is phenomenal. The way she lifts up through the pearl to her Biellmann is so smooth, and I can't imagine the core strength it takes to do that. It's as phenomenal a piece of athleticism as any triple-triple. She doesn't get enough credit for her spins. She's every bit as good as Alissa and Mirai, even better in some aspects.

9. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

The best thing about Caroline right now is how joyful she looks on the ice! There was a period of time where she just looked so miserable skating. I'm so glad she finally found her love of skating again, and I'd bet that is what helped her to get to this point (not the other way around).

GO CAROLINE! :cheer: :cheer2: :cheer:

10. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

I agree. loop-loop is on par with lutz toe point value wise. If the US can get 3 spots: look out world ^_^

11. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

why do I feel like I'm reading an old post from the archives? Remember when these very words were said about zhang flatt and nagasu and how they were going to kick senior ass and rule the world? :rofl:

12. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I didnt say I thought they would rule the World. In fact if we werent in a super weak couple years for ladies skating that produced Miki freaking Ando becoming a 2 time World Champion last year I wouldnt say they currently had a medal shot of any kind. However I think they are all very competitive amongst each other, and with only 2 or 3 spots, there will be a huge battle for them as there are many contenders. They dont have to be a superpower on the World level for that to be the case.

13. krenseby

krenseby New Member

But how fair is it to compare her to the hyped-up expectations that some people had? As she entered the senior ranks, very little about her skating was at World Champion level: The jumps were small, sometimes underrotated, and didn't generate positive GOE. The PCS were far lower than those of the top ladies due to speed/stroking issues.

Considering all of those flaws, how fair was it to hold her up to the expectations of being a world champion?

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

This. Well said.

15. feraina

feraina Well-Known Member

I'm so happy for her. I have tears in my eyes every time I watch/re-watch her programs or K&C or podium shots. Just amazing! :rollin:

16. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I wanted to shed tears of joy after her free skate last night. What a beautifully redeeming season this has been for Zhang. I really hope she continues on her upward trend and :kickass: even more next year. :cheer: :cheer2: :40beers:

17. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

1. work on speed and power
    2. work on 3sal

If she could just focus on these 2 things and achieve reasonable success over the summer, she can have a great 2012-3 season.

And placing 4th at Nationals and 3rd at 4CCs guarantees her Team A funding yes?

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Also, work on the remainder of the mule kick on the lutz, work on correct edge take off and better flow out of the 2A although every time I see her skate, the axel improves. And now that she's come so far, I believe that she can do this remaining work. She has rebuilt a whole new skater from the ground up and brought back the Pearl. She can do anything!

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Team B envelope funding.

Reportedly she has been practicing her 3F+3T again, which would give her the option of planning more than 5 triples in her FS (especially if she adds the 3S back again, too.).

20. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

YAY for Caroline!

21. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Maybe it was the camera angle, but her 2axel looked much improved at 4CCs.

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I agree, it has improved even since Nationals, more flow out of it than ever. But still not as much as some others so there's some room for improvement. I think she keeps getting better and better and who knows how much better it could be next season. *knocks on wood*

23. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

You can see throughout the year shes slowly starting to get how to jump into it more in the takeoff. Her triple flip - my gosh if there is ever a leson to show someone how to turn a move from one of the ugliest moves in skating to one of the prettiest moves, its that skill alone. Not only are they correct technique now but they are beautiful! And big, and I see her holding landing edges more in the 4CC performances and she seems like with another 2 months of training would be ready to go even for Worlds. I just can't get over it. :respec: When someone with her level of spins can also start to bring the jumps to the same level the scores are going to be there.

24. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Actually both Zhang and Wagner are holdings their jump landings more which is nice to see.

25. doubleflutz

doubleflutz New Member

If she improved her 2A more, and maybe her 3F a bit as well, would 3F-3LO, 2A-3T, 3Z, 3F, 3LO, 3S, 2A-2-2 be a realistic possibility for her? Obviously in the short it would be much smarter tactically to go for 3LO-3LO, and risking one of her "money jump" triple loops in the LP to a downgrade is very risky, but that layout would be extremely competitive with pretty much anyone, even the young Russians and Mao.

26. ainouta

ainouta Well-Known Member

If her double axel improves enough, probably. Though I think that next year, she'll probably incorporate the 3Lo-3Lo into her long as well. Maybe something like 3Lo-3Lo, 3F, 3Lz, 3F-2T-2Lo, 3S, 3T-2T, 2A in that situation? Or she could even move both of her flips to the second half of the program - that jump seems really solid for her now, and her fitness looks great too.

27. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

This would require her re-learning a 3 Sal :p

Actually though I think her 3f 3t is better than her 2a 3t bc her flip has more flow; so a program layout like this would be more realistic (assuming she can get the sal back)....

3S, 3f+3t, 3lz, 3lo+3lo(in the bonus?), 2a, 3lz+2t+2l, 2a...

add in the same level 4 spins and level 3 footwork she got at 4CC and the ChSp and you're looking at 61.64 base technical. 3 points higher than Mao at 4CC and 6 points higher than Gracie at nationals.

If she gains the same 8 points in GOE that she gained at 4CC, then the techincal is nearly 70 points. A technical score 4 points higher than the winning technical score at last year's world championships.

Go Caroline!! :)

28. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I was very happy for Caroline's 4CC bronze and the tremendous improvements she has made to her overall skating. :kickass: So many people had written her off. I'm pretty sure she will get 2 Grand Prix assignments now, and she won't have to go through Sectionals next season. I see her only going up from here. :cheer2:

Yes, I would have been happier had she made the World team, but that's OK. There is always next year.

29. feraina

feraina Well-Known Member

Apparently Caroline has been practicing 3F-3T, including at 4CC, with some success too. I don't think it's realistic to expect her 2A to get enough flow to do a 2A-3T by next season. She really needs to regain her 3S, which she landed successfully in combination with a 2T at 4CC two years ago. She attempted the 3S last at Nationals 2011. I bet she's going to be working on her 3F-3T and 3S in the off season. I think a likely layout for next season will be:
    3F-3T
    3Z
    3S
    --------
    3R-3R
    3F-2T-2R
    2A
    2A

with 3R-3R after the halfway mark. With a fairly early start to next season, I guess we'll see by the summer what she's planning.

Go Caroline! ;)

30. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I'm thrilled for Caroline and her fans, like Polymer Bob. :) I thought she should have beaten Czisny at nationals but I don't think the judges were about to let that happen. Next nationals, though, I suspect she'll get the benefit of the doubt if she hits and Czisny doesn't. Mostly though, I'm just so happy to see Caroline so happy. She looks like she's genuinely having the time of her life now and it's wonderful to witness.