Carolina will keep skating competitively until Sochi 2014

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by eleonorad, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

You always have to take into account what is coming from a reporter vs what the actual athlete says. Our local NPR station carries BBC Live mornings (and now that I'm working freelance instead of for a company I have the luxury of listening); this morning, the reporter was interviewing a couple of pundits about the London Olympic security issues, and he kept trying to push them into saying that the Army should have been picked for security long before this (not possible in the planning stages, they were heavily in Afghanistan at that time). The pundits didn't bite. Again, you have to remember media spin on certain things.

Back to topic, happy to hear Carolina is going to stay in. I was never a fan until last season, and like many, she grew on me. Good luck, Caro! :cool:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Kostner used to annoy me massively, even if I always appreciated her skating skills, but she really has come together into an extraordinary all round performer last season. Her programs were quite spectacular.

3. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I love that I'll be able to watch Carolina compete ( two more years of artistry like that... Thank you Caro!!!). But as a big fan, I really hope it'll be worth it for her and she gets some big wins in the next two years. It takes great courage to keep working for one's goals when you reach the top after so many years of struggle. Wishing her all the luck.

4. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

What wonderful news! I'm soooo happy! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I was actually scared when I heard about the press conference and had feared that Caro would announce her retirement. I'm very glad that she decided to go on. I hope she will be able to fullfill her potential, enjoy all of her competetitions and that she will win a medal in Sochi. :cheer:

5. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I expect Murakami will have sorted out her stamina issues and make the Sochi team which means one of Asada, Ando, or Suzuki will not. Probably Ando since she seems like she isnt even wanting to compete anymore but is pushed into it by the ISU from her recent comments. Maybe a second young skater will make it pushing out one of Asada or Suzuki as well. Japan is relying too long on veterans now, even granny Suguri was competing into her 30s, they need to start pushing the younger talent more now.

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Amen, to this!

7. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Unless the younger skaters finish ahead of them at Nationals, I see no reason to send them to an ISU Championship just because they need to be 'pushed.' It's not like Haruka Imai, Satoko Miyahara or similar skaters didn't get GP or JGP assignments since Fumie was sent at their expense this season (2010-2011 was a different story). As long as skaters like Mao, Akiko and now Miki continue to perform better, I see no reason not to rely on them.

Sometimes skater do get better as they get older. Look no further than Carolina for an excellent example of that.

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

YAY! I became a fan this past season, finally. So glad to hear that we could be treated to more creative and artistic programs from Carolina.

9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I fully expect Murakami to be at worst the 2nd or 3rd best Japanese by 2014. If they are fortunate a 2nd young skater will also be amongst their 3 best skaters by then. In the event Ando, Asada, and Suzuki are still their top 3 by 2014 they are in big trouble not only for 2014 but for the future, since their up and comers are pretty much useless if that is the case. The only one of those who is arguably still getting better is Suzuki, and she isnt a World Champion caliber skater, although I was super happy to see her medal at Worlds. Ando and Asada peaked many years ago, Ando was pretty good in 2011 (not really that good, the field was awful, even worse than last year) but admits to motivation problems so I doubt she will be very good in her comeback, and Asada has been going downhill for awhile now.

You also need to remember all Nationals are political. I agree in the event the veterans are still the best they deserve to go, but what I mean is they should in no way make a concerted effort to hold them up and protect their standing if they arent, which is sometimes what federations do, milking the oldies even when they are past their best before date.

10. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Agreed; hate to see that with events that determine Olympic qualification even more so. Am still mad about Miki Ando being sent to Turin insead of Yukari Nakano based on questionable criteria that took into account results from past years. And that wasn't even an age issue, but just about who was in better shape at the time.

11. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I can see why ISU is pushing perhaps "past prime" Asada, Ando and Kostner to compete. They are the last 3 WCs and it's hard to build hype for an event when no one knows who any of the participants are.

The Jap. Fed. has proven numerous times that they hand pick their Oly teams for whatever (political, monetary, etc.) reasons no matter how they are currently skating. Akiko did herself a huge favor by winning a medal this past year. Unless any others, "younger skaters" win a medal or even gold next year, the Oly team has already been pretty much set as Granny Ando, Granny Asada, and Granny Akiko.

12. leigh466

leigh466 Active Member

HURRAY!

13. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Speaking of old veterans, does anyone know if Fumie Suguri has officially retired yet? I know she wasn't at Worlds, can't remember if I saw her on the Japanese Nats results list or not.

14. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Too bad ALL those Russian and American skaters won't be able to skate, not enough qualifying spots..

15. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

She didn't qualify for Nationals last year (failed at sectionals) but she's still competing in some local competions.. Pretty sad story:scream:

16. icellist

icellist Member

I'm glad she wants to continue competing, but in any case, please let Valentina Marchei got to the Olympics with her!

17. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

oh please, i know andos nomination for the 2006 olympics was kind of 'the japanese fed does what it wants', but in 2010 there were strict rules and suzuki kicked out the great yukari nakano of the team, who medalled in 2008. so a medal alone doesn´t secure anything.

i agree, that the japanese fed will do anything to have mao and miki on the team, i wouldn´t be so sure for akikoks place.

but to be honest, all those 'grannies' are by far the best japan has to offer at the moment. despite murakami there is no one even close to them regarding the whole package. the younger girls may have the jumps but are lacking tremendously at pcs , imai with some troubles on the jumps, more presence than the younger ones but miles away of the 'grannies'.

so please give the younger skaters time to flourish and let the 'grannies' of japan fight against the italian 'granny' and whoever 20+ will shockingly try to enter the competetion in 2014 :D

18. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

A lot of people felt she should have medalled, but Yukari Nakano actually finished 4th at 2008 Worlds, and her results leading up to Vancouver were not as good as Akiko's have been in recent years.

19. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

oh, i´m out of control, right, she was off the podium. but she had great results before and her name alone haven´t taken her to the olympcis, that´s what i wanted to say:)

20. mikeko

mikeko Member

Suzuki beat Nakano at 2009 Nationals only by 0.17, but many thought the different between the two could have been as much as 10 points if scored by ISU judges. It looks like JSF tried really hard to send Nakano to Vancouver. Later Hiroshi Nagakubo, Suzuki's coach told in an interview that he thought Suzuki would not make it to the Olympic team when he saw who were in the judge panel at the Nationals.

JSF still prefers Murakami, who couldn't skate a decent FS throughout the last season, to Suzuki, who won Bronz. Murakami has major corporate sponsors that bring money to the federation. They are happy to drop Suzuki any time if she shows a lightest sign of weakness. They may be willing to use her to secure three spots at Sochi, but have no intention to send her to Sochi itself.

ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  21. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Yes, I think the JSF was on a mission to get Yukari to Vancouver in 2010. I'm not sure how much of that was based on additional sponsorship revenue and how much of it was a belated effort to make things up to her after 2006. Either way, much as I enjoyed Yukari's skating, I'm glad Akiko finished ahead of her at Nationals and got to compete at the Olympics. Had Nakano gone instead, it would have been a case of 'two wrongs don't make a right', since Suzuki was skating much better that year.

Italy might have an interesting situation on their hands in case Marchei and Kostner get 3 spots for Sochi since they have lots of similiar-level skaters who would be vying for the third spot.

22. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

It's a bit embarrassing that Italy has 3 spots for the ladies next year despite having only one top skater who has carried them for almost a decade while the US which has so much more depth still can't get that third spot.

23. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

:lol::lol:

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Marchei was 8th in Nice, and Italy would not have had three spots unless she carried her own weight. Had Marchei skated alone, Italy would have earned two, and if a second Italian didn't make it out of the quali round, Italy would have earned two, all on the basis of Marchei's placement.

25. eleonorad

eleonorad Active Member

Kostner and Marchei BOTH did an amazing job bringing home 3 spots so there's nothing wrong with it.

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Absolutely.

27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Marchei has placed top 10 in each of the last five EC she's entered and 8th at WC last year (11th and 13th in the two previous WC she's entered).

28. bek

bek Guest

That's not particularly fair considering Marchei placed 8th. If Alissa had placed 8th, the US would have 3 spots. The US has had multiple opportunities to earn those spots, perhaps if they really have so much depth they are picking their teams wrong.

29. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Excellent news, as I feel Carolina finally found a niche that works for her choreography wise w/the modern dance look and I really want to see her develop it even more. I hope she has a better Olympic experience than her last two were and Good Luck to her over the next two years!!

30. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Maybe it's just me, but I presumed Jammers was saying it was embarassing for the US ladies.