Carnival On Ice 2012 - October 6, 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by YukiNieve, Jul 5, 2012.

1. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

Not sure if we need a separate thread since this will take place after Japan Open,
    but the list of skaters is just announced, which is really impressive,
    so it may worth the independent thread:

The list of skaters (1st announcement, in no particular order)

Alexei Yagudin
    Ilia Kulik
    Jeffrey Buttle
    Kurt Browning
    Philippe Candeloro
    Daisuke Takahashi
    Takahiko Kozuka
    Patrick Chan

Irina Slutskaya
    Joannie Rochette
    Laura Lepisto
    Elene Gedevanishvili
    Alena Leonova
    Ashley Wagner
    Gracie Gold
    Akiko Suzuki

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/coi2012/

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  2. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Gracie seems to be getting a lot of invites for someone with only one Senior event under her belt.

3. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

It's a gala after the Japan Open where she is already competing. Is this an unusual amount of competitions?

4. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Obviously, you're just trying to drum up publicity/buzz, but I'll take the bait.

As said above, it's not another competition, just a gala after the same event, correct? How is that unusual?

& still hoping USFSA will spread the love and promote all of the new talent coming up!!

Also, surprised the Wagner camp would waste their time on this fluff competiton(?)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  5. reut

reut Active Member

6. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I'm still getting goosebumps from watching Kurt skate to Nyah after so many years in a slightly modified version of the original program. This routine is a masterpiece of figure skating in my book. I just don't know why he wanted to include a jump or two in his performance, it was not necessary IMO.

Thank you, reut.

7. reut

reut Active Member

Yes, me too, I noticed it and was surprised. Because for me "Nyah" was always a classical example that you can make an amazing skating program without jumps.

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

He probably did the jumps simply to demonstrate that he could.

9. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Does anyone have the time to put Ilia's gala performance up on Youtube? Many thanks for that!!

10. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Thanks for the video links, I've been looking for them!

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I'm not sure it wasn't less physically strenuous to do a jump version. The jump-less version requires so much energy to keep the tension and dance quality, and, to a certain extent, he was able to give that up to set up for jumps, which he's been doing in all of his shows.

Adjusting for the lack of dramatic lighting affects in the SOI and CSOI version from over a decade ago, he didn't have the same explosive quality in his carriage and body movement or the same precision. According to Wikipedia, he's 46 years old. He's not the same skater he was when he was 35 and in his prime, and I wouldn't expect him to be, but it was like seeing Nureyev do one of his iconic roles five years past his prime (but not at the end when he was a mere shadow of his former self).

12. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Thank you so much for this. Absolutely sublime :inavoid: :inavoid:
    Beautiful skating helped by the fact that I love that kind of music :swoon: and that the camera only cut away to the guitarist occasionally, and even then watching a guitarist of that level play that kind of music is one of the rare occasions that I'm happy to watch the musician as well as listen while skating is going on.

Whole thing gave me goose bumps and had me clapping at the end :swoon: :swoon:

13. Teenes

Teenes New Member

Kurt did the jumps because it was his only program of the show, and he said he "had to try" a jump or two in it. He did the program as a favor to Yuka Sato, who asked him to skate it for her mom, so I think he didn't actually spend that much time preparing it, which might account for that "lack of explosive quality". It was awesome seeing it again, but I wish he had done the jumpless version myself - I think the choreography works better (he did it with jumps at the World Pros and other competitions back when he originally did this program, and I didn't like that version as much then either).

14. tkaug

tkaug New Member

15. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Many thanks to Yuka Sato and her mom then.:)

Seeing the white print on the back of Kurt's top I remember he wore the same top for this program I never got to know the title of. Must have been fabulous to watch live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg1sPbJOQPw&list=FLNkkVjddNbO0K4M4D6WevaA&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Is there any televised version of that number that I could download? Sorry for the off topic.

16. NONKO

NONKO Active Member

17. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Yes, and Evgeni Plushenko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEr3wjFxkHM

18. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I love the group number with Kozuka-Browning and Buttle. Very good to see them skating like that. We can feel that Kozuka has so much respect for Browning. :swoon:

19. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

The program with Takahiko, Kurt, and Jeffry was soooooo nice. I saw it at the rink. Those three skater's soundless performance was surely impressive and I enjoyed Tomoyasu Hotei's guitar, too. I recommend them to do it at CSOI ;)