car mechanics for dummies

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Ok, don't know if anyone here has the expertise to answer this question, but I'll give it a try.

I just had the battery in my 12-year-old car replaced. They recommended it because it was showing some acid leakage, which in turn was putting strain on the alternator. Ok, and it was the original battery, so I'm not complaining.

But now my car seems a bit sluggish. Particularly when I change gears (it's a manual), the acceleration is just a little slower than usual to respond. Someone else might not notice it, but because I've been driving it for so long I do.

Should I give it a little more time to "warm up" to the new battery? Or go back and get it checked out? I'm off on a road trip soon and don't want any surprises!

TIA

2. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I'm not a car expert, but I'd guess lack of acceleration and your battery are two different issues.

3. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I'd get it checked out. Even though the battery has nothing to do with your car's acceleration, other things may be wrong. Some cars require a reset of the computer codes when maintenance is done. Or, the tech may have bumped into a hose. Wouldn't hurt to have someone look at it, particularly the air intake system.

4. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Your car doesn't need time to warm up to a new battery. As others have said, check it out. :)

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I would say it is another problem that may have been brought to light with the change over of the battery. Get it checked out. It could be something like the alternator or the regulator if it is a power problem.

6. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know if I was imagining it, or perhaps it was just my new shoes with very stiff soles that were causing the problem ... but everything seems to be fine today.

Sometimes I really am a girl. :shuffle:

But I still have to reprogram all my radio resets! Sheesh!

Thanks anyway, folks.