Cannes ban Lars Von Trier after Nazi Comments.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Eden, May 19, 2011.

1. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Dunst looked sooooo uncomfortable. :slinkaway

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Good. :kickass: I love it when hateful people trip themselves up, especially when they do so while trying to exhibit their superiority.

Speaking of hateful people tripping themselves up and speaking of Cannes ... Sean Penn. :blah: That lemur-faced, anti-Semetic, anti-American, pro-Communist, OTT ham of an actor and douchebag pig of a person.

His “This Must Be the Place” is getting horrible reviews. So horrible that I wonder -- could his movie and his performance end up with "Showgirls" camp following?

This reviewer leaves me in stitches ...
    LINK

3. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

:rofl:

I think his films are self-indulgent crap.

VALuvsMKwan and (deleted member) like this.
  4. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

I thought I remembered reading that he was born Lars Trier and added the "von" later - I had imagined that it was in homage to Erich von Stroheim, who did the same thing with his name, but IMDB states that it was done to emulate/honor Josef von Sternberg.

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Or just to be pretentious.

6. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

hmmmm.....Does AliasJohnVonDoe work? :p

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

It's lovely. I've been considering Ice d'Alisa myself.

8. VALuvsMKwan

Well, I certainly thought that, but I thought that I might be labeled a no-culture Ugly American (which no doubt I am, but still carrying the stigma...) :drama:

Can I be VALuvsMvonKwan? :rofl:

9. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

MilyVonSkate? :lol: Clearly, this game provides hours of fun.

Seriously though, another high-flyer manages to kill his own career in one sentence :shuffle: :wall:
    Idiot. There are no words.

10. VALuvsMKwan

That looks like Lily von Shtupp from "Blazing Saddles"... :gallopin1

millyskate and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Michalle

Michalle New Member

I used to think it was very important to try to understand the thought patterns of people who do terrible things in order to stop people from doing such terrible things in the future, but now I wonder how helpful that really is, because you're not actually understanding what those people were thinking, all that you're understanding is your own imagined version of how their thoughts were working. I think that those things are very different. And perhaps it is dangerous to think that you are understanding more about how evil happens and how a person could do something evil than you actually are.

12. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Iran :yikes: slams Cannes Film Festival for Von Trier Nazi ban.
    In its official protest, Iranian deputy culture minister Javad Shamaqdari, says that Cannes had smirched its history and rendered its claims to defend free speech "a meaningless slogan."

Iran, who is suddenly all about free speech, :rolleyes: has jailed several Iranian filmmakers for making movies that supported the country's reform movement.

Von Trier, who probably understands that with friends like this, one doesn't need an enemy, said in respond to Iranian support that his remarks were "unintelligent, ambiguous and needlessly hurtful."

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Obviously, Iran doesn't appreciate the difference between state/legal prosecution and a ban from a film festival.

14. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Von Trier seems to ramble when doing interviews/panel discussions. He really should get some training in how to be able to handle these situations differently. I wonder if he even likes doing them, but does so just in order to get promotion for his films. Or at the very least, he should let his producers and actors do more of the talking!

15. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Does this mean he's going to cancel next week's golf outing with Mel Gibson? :saint:

16. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

ah crap...I was excited about Melancholia until you said it's the same Director of Dancer in the Dark. I loathed that movie. Horrible editing, too.

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  17. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:lol:

:respec:

Schwarzenegger to caddy!!! :D