Cannes ban Lars Von Trier after Nazi Comments.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Eden, May 19, 2011.

1. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Danish director Lars Von Trier has accepted his ban from the Cannes Film Festival, following his claims that he sympathised with Adolf Hitler.

Von Trier came to Cannes to promote his new film Melancholia.
    The festival's decision to ban him came after Wednesday's
    press conference
    in which he stated:
    "I understand Hitler but I think he did some wrong things yes absolutely but I can see him sitting in his bunker"
    Von Trier said that while he was "not against Jews... Israel is a pain in the ass".

On a personal note I would like to say to Mr. Von Trier:
    Allow me not to understand you... :::bigsigh:::

2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Eden, it was one of the most offensively bizarre things I have heard this year. I guess we aren't meant to get it.

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

He also said that he thinks the things Nazi's did where the most terrible things done in human history and he dosen't approve it. Understanding someone actions dosen't mean that you approve them.

And to be honest, Isreal isn't a little angel. But in the west you are not allowed to talk about things this publicly. Hurray to the freedom of speech!

4. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

This is also the guy who hates the USA, but has never been there. :p

5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Reading the comments in an article yesterday, I was wondering if he was either high or having some sort of psychotic break. I don't think he's actually a Nazi but I was definitely wondering if he's gone around the bend.

6. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:confused:

7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

It seemed like he was at first trying to make a joke but then he didn't know when to shut up and just kept on going and going. I saw the video and I felt awful for Kirsten Dunst. She was so clearly uncomfortable but too professional to make a scene or get up and leave.

8. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Inquiry: If he had made comparable comments about Joseph Stalin and communism, would the world give a flying crap?

9. danceronice

No, but that's because a certain subset of that world (or rather their parents, grandparents, and teachers, some of whom are now on stamps, for cripes' sake) spent a lot of time sucking up to Stalin and his political system and THEIR kids are wearing Che Guevera t-shirts and deep at heart still think Soviet Russia is kind of cool.

Though Poland would still give a crap. As would a good chunk of Ukraine. And a few other countries in that region. But no one cares what they think.

10. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

At least in the States, the word "understand" in this context is virtually synonymous with "sympathize." Maybe that's not what he meant, but that is what it sounds like. What is there to understand with respect to a man who attempted to eliminate an entire ethnicity/religion and was responsible for the deaths of millions of people? :confused:

11. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I am reminded of when Marge Schott owner of the Cincinatti Reds said Hitler did some good things but went too far.

12. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Might this have been a language issue? When I read the quote I had to struggle at first to understand what was so offensive but then Cheylana's explanation of "understand" is synonymous with sympathize made it clear.
    I hope that he meant that he could comprehend(? is that the right word) how someone with Hitler's mindset would think the way he did without ever never ever thinking the same way.

13. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I thought the issue was that he was afraid to fly, not that he hated the US.

I'm honestly not surprised by his comments. He's notorious for saying horribly offensive things to his actors... to the point that a lot of actors will not even accept scripts that are attached to him.

He is one of the most incredible film makers of our time, but as amazing as his films are, Dogville is the only one I can bear to watch again because the others are so bleak and heart wrenching.

14. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lars_von_Trier#Trilogies

:huh:

15. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i hate his films, i would walk out on every one of them, even if they were being shown on a plane

cholla and (deleted member) like this.
  16. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:rofl: But you have wings.

17. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I saw "Breaking the Waves" in the theater upon release. One things I'll say about it, I've never forgotten it. :scream:

Then I saw "Dancer in the Dark" not realizing it was the same director. And the whole time I'm watching it, I thought to myself, 'this reminds me of Breaking The Waves.' Sure enough . . .

Even though the acting was amazing in all films, I will never again watch another of his films. Despicable stuff, and he really seems hostile to his female characters.

18. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Probably watched too many of his own unwatchable films. :blah:

19. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

That's funny because the only movie of his that I can rewatch is Breaking the Waves. I thought Emily Watson deserved the Oscar for that performance (even over Frances McDormand in Fargo and Brenda Blethyn in Secrets and Lies - both films and performances I loved).

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Breaking The Waves was a great film. Assholes can be talented too.

21. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Breaking the Waves is one of the best movies I've ever seen, but I could never watch it again. Emily Watson's performance was extremely deserving of an Oscar.

Dancer in the Dark is also amazing, not as good as Breaking the Waves, but I was only able to watch it the once in the theatre. I do, however, listen to the soundtrack Bjork did with Thome Yorke all the time.

A student admitted into the graduate program for next year said he wanted to work with me and that he would like to examine sexuality in the films of Lars van Trier for his thesis project. I'm hoping he changes his mind so I don't have to spend a year revisiting those films.

All of my European colleagues think of van Trier as almost a hero. I remember saying that I would have to take a valium before going to see [Antichrist and all of them saying they didn't understand why.

I actually show Dogville to my film theory students almost every year.

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I couldn't watch it again either.

23. manleywoman

I didn't hate Breaking the Waves, but I could certainly never watch it again. And yes, Emily Watson was brilliant.

I couldn't stand Dancer in the Dark though.

24. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Von Trier has definitely stuck his foot in his mouth (and this isn't the first time either). But I think people are being selective with picking out certain sentences (or a select phrase or two) from the press conference, and taking it out of context.

Plus English is his second language and he was trying to be flippant/sarcastic, and his attempts at humour (rightly so?) fell flat.

Von Trier is critical of the USA, but so are many US citizens. It doesn't meant that they hate the USA.

I personally believe that we need to try to understand anyone who has done something wrong in order to stop those kinds of wrongs from ever happening again.

If I were able to get to the point where I could understand someone who did horrendous things, it would not mean that I agree in any way, shape or form with the terror they created. It would mean that I understood the situation better and could use that information to make changes in the world so that less horrific things would ever happen again.

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

You are clearly a more optimistic soul than I am, as I don't believe pure evil can be truly understood. :(

26. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

It is good for you if you can´t understand it. I think I can imagine (I don´t dare to use the word understand) why Hitler and his supporters thought that they thought. At the same time, I am very much against it.

This is not for you personally, Cheylana, but who of us can be 100% sure that living in Nazi times or Stalin´r regime, s/he would have had wisdom and courage to stand against it?

Still, I think von Trier acted stupidly:rolleyes:

27. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Dancer in the Dark was one of the most devastating movies I have seen. First time I saw it I sat there thinking "I really don't know if I'm enjoying this or not" but I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I love Bjork, loved her music with a fierce passion before seeing it, but loved her even more after the movie. Love her quirkiness. How sad that brilliant people can be so far removed. I suppose it's true what they say about the line between genius and madness being very fine.

28. manleywoman

I can't, considering Hitler's own genetic background.

That's a terrific description.

29. danceronice

Oh, I can UNDERSTAND how a system like Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union works. I have trouble believing anyone fell for the former (except a very few certain members of Hitler's inner circle whom all evidence indicates were genuinely, completely, insane in the legal sense--you cannot have any mental contact with reality and believe some of the things Hitler, but more so Himmler, Goebbels and Hess believed) and I've never gotten why any decent human being defends the latter. But in terms of history and structure I can see where it was coming from.

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I saw the video of him speaking when he said that he both understands AND sympasizes with Hitler.