Canadians are sensitive

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aaron W, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

U.K. tourism guide warns Canadians are sensitive

Here's another article:

British tourism guide warns Canadians sensitive about national identity

2. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

As a first generation American of a Canadian father, yes, it's true. Any why wouldn't they be? True, their GDP isn't on the level of the US, but they do have their sh!t together.

3. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

4. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

I am hurt. :wuzrobbed; I am going to take my knitting needles and go and hide. ;)

Seriously? I think some are more annoyed than sensitive. (shrug)

5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Are Australians as offended when mistaken for British? Scots for Irish? (Never mind that last, that's a whopping great "yes".)

6. Norlite

Norlite New Member

Very true.

7. Winnipeg

Winnipeg Well-Known Member

Hey, I take offense to that stereotype.................;);)

8. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Proof that they can't take a joke?

NJL

9. genegri

genegri Active Member

Off topic, but from the same article:

:rofl:

And it's so true! My mom was Chinese and she was never ever impressed by any "historical" landmarks in the US. :lol:

10. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

A typical question I've been asked on visit to the UK is "what part of America are you from?"

My response tends to be "I'm from the Canadian part of North America".

I don't consider it sensitivity as much as pride - I am Canadian :)

11. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

[[sob]] My feelings are hurt. {[sniff]]

What I really laughed at in this story, though, was this part:
    Gee, I wonder which colonializing empire the Indian culture learned this from :lol:

12. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I'd say yes, because the accents are so vastly different, although I wouldn't be. Now Australians and New Zealanders, that's a little more serious. I'm not offended to be mistaken for a kiwi, but people in London tell me they've had their heads bitten off for being called Australian ;)

13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Who wouldn't be offended if someone thought they were from the U.S.???

:p

Seriously though, when I was travelling throughout Europe in the 90's, I heard stories of how people from the U.S. would have sewn a Canadian flag on their backpacks because they got treated better if Europeans thought they were Canadian instead of American.

14. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

15. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

Yup. :slinkaway

16. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I'm really sad that I missed my chance to get a Canadian passport when I reached majority. It didn't seem all that important at the time, but I'd really enjoy traveling under the Maple Leaf.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Orable

Orable New Member

So yeah, just for kicks:
    Danny Bhoy does Irish :p
    Kiwis vs. Aussies :p

18. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

When my son was traveling in Europe a few years ago, there were so many Americans trying to pass as Canadians that he once had to prove he was a real Canadian by answering trivia questions about hockey.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I don't think it's necessarily true that Canadian tourists are offended if they are mistaken for US citizens. The US is the more well-known country and people might easily jump to the conclusion that an English speaker without an Aussie or British accent was an American.

Just as a Canadian or American might mistakenly identify a Welsh, Scottish or Irish person as British.

20. Squibble

Squibble New Member

What's the big deal about being mistaken for being from a different country? :confused:

When I've been overseas, I've been mistaken for a German, a Norwegian, a Dutchman, a Swede, an Englishman, a Welshman, an Argentinean, a Frenchman, and who knows what else?

In my own country, the U.S., I've been mistaken for British or German and been asked many times what country I am from. (For the record, I was born and grew up in California.)

Canadians must be unsure of what it means to be Canadian if they are so sensitive about being mistaken for Americans.

21. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

I can't believe the Vancouver beat poet hasnt been dredged up yet

22. Norlite

Norlite New Member

:lol: ok, if that's why you want to think it's so.

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  23. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

allezfred probably hasn't gotten up yet :saint:

24. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I was told stories like this in high school by my history teachers, but I'm beginning to think they were an urban myth. :p Many Americans I know who travel have never thought of donning a Maple Leaf or Canadian flag, and have had no problems overseas. As someone pointed out to me, "I'm sure people in the tourist industry aren't going to be rude to someone with money." I always believed the theory to be true, but who knows?

As for Canadians being touchy about being called American... I can't really get all riled up about it. My American cousins in Michigan sound nothing like any Canadian I've ever met, but the ones in Florida blend right in (and vice versa). I can't fault a mistake based on accents. One of my favourite books illustrated the reaction I'm familiar with in that kind of situation, where the Canadian "softly cringed" at being called an American, but proceeded to "look on apologetically." :p

25. shiningstar

shiningstar New Member

Well that's not true in my case. I don't like being mistaken for American because I am so intensely proud to be Canadian.

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I would hate to be mistaken for American if I was travelling and it is strictly Canadian pride. It is amazing when I have gone to other countries and gone on excursions, the number of people who asked me if I was American. I correct them and tell them I come from Canada and Canadians do get treated differently travelling than American's. I don't want to say better but in a way they are.

My all time favourite commercial was the Molson Canadian beer commercial with that guy talking about all the things that make us unique.

Are Canadians sensitive overall? Ya probably, but why the heck is that a problem. I would rather be considered sensitive than an a**hole. But that is just me...

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  27. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

He was a SLAM poet! And he and his fellow Canadians were millions and millions of choices unlike every other country in the world who are limited to hundreds or thousands of choices if we're lucky. :drama:

:p

Being sensitive and being an asshole aren't mutually exclusive. :shuffle:

28. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Oh, Gawd. :rofl:

I don't find myself quick to complain when things go wrong. I just want to fix it myself, damn it! :slinkaway I'm an eville American

29. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

I don't think it's just pride but also a behaviour comparison thing.

I try to blend into the culture of a city/country as much as possible and learn new things when I travel while, apologies in advance to all the Americans reading this, some American tourists (the ones you notice because they want to stand out) have a totally different attitude - I come from the greatest country in the world, bow down to the way I think things should be as I tell you about it loudly.

30. shells

shells New Member

I don't understand the problem. If someone asks 'Are you American?' I say, no I'm from Canada. And that's not about anything except telling the truth. If I'm talking to someone for long enough that it comes up, then why shouldn't I tell them? I'm not offended, how on earth could I expect people in other countries to know? I wouldn't know how to tell all the accents in Europe apart, I wouldn't possibly expect them to be able to know ours either.