Canadians 2012??

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by kylet3, May 13, 2011.

1. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Any word or rumors yet on location for 2012? I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Edmonton...

2. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

I have promised they will be in Moncton.

Neither place is all that great a destination for January.

But no, no word yet. We need to KNOW!

3. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

I'd bet money on Moncton. A few months ago I heard the locations for Challenge and Canadians would be Regina and Moncton, they just hadn't decided which would be where. Now that Regina has the Challenge, I'll be surprised if Canadians aren't in Moncton.

4. pamela95

pamela95 Member

I would love it if they picked Moncton! I'm going to be living in Sackville working on my masters, which is just a short drive away. I could go to nationals AND not have to spend a lot of money on a hotel and food.

5. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Well boo! I couldn't go this year due to this past season, and if it IS in Moncton well lets just say... It's cheaper to fly to Europe most of the time than it is to the maritimes from Edmonton :lol: I guess I will be CBC watching for the second year in a row.

6. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Moncton, could be interesting as I have relatives that live in Moncton. Long way from home here in southwestern Ontario but maybe ...

7. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

It would be great! Moncton's just 90 miles away. The last time I was at Canadians was in 1992...in Moncton.

8. kppt

kppt New Member

I heard the exact same thing in February, and yes, now that Regina was announced for Challenge I bet it's just a matter of time before Moncton is announced as the site for Cdn's.

9. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I haven't been to Canadians in a couple of years and would like to go again in 2012 but am not sure about Moncton. Have a few questions:

Will you need a car to get around?

Are there nice hotels near the arena? I guess I could look that up but thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm not overly worried about the weather as I've learned over the years how to deal with various levels of Cold in January in Canada. The coldest I've ever been wasn't in Edmonton or Calgary but in Halifax in 07!

10. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I find it a bit strange that the location for 2012 Cdns hasn't been officially announced yet. I wonder if it's because Skate Canada has no title sponsor for the event?

BMO is no longer a SC sponsor.

http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/OurPartners/tabid/172/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Must be scary times for Skate Canada with no title sponsor for Skate Canada International or Canadians.

I wonder who is going to sponsor Thornhill as an ISU Senior B?

11. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers New Member

:eek: Holy smokes! That's actually very big news. BMO has been a sponsor for as long as I can remember. Why is Skate Canada losing all their sponsors? First HomeSense, then BMO? I know the economy isn't the greatest, but banks are still making money. Maybe it is time for a complete and thorough over-haul of funding models all the way up the ranks. We have a new long term athlete development program, maybe we need to also have a long term athlete FUNDING program. :yikes:

12. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

Moncton would be great for me. I haven't been to any events in a few years:)

JanetB and (deleted member) like this.
  13. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Well, Moncton is about 12 hours travel time from Victoria. But I have relatives there, in Fred and Halifax, and would be able to visit.

Getting in and out by plane, that could be a bit difficult. Doesn't take much to close the airport.

14. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

15. emilieh

emilieh Active Member

16. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Ahh, I had just looked at the 4 Plex.

That would work. :)

17. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

As long as there isn't a snowstorm :p

18. lovesskating

lovesskating New Member

I hope by January they let us know?

19. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers New Member

Well, it would seem Skate Canada has chosen Vancouver as the site for next year's AGM. Perhaps that means, then, that Junior Nationals/Canadians will be Central or East. Moncton is ok, but I'd like Ottawa. It's been a few years for them. Ottawa is driving distance for a whole ton of skaters in Quebec and Ontario. For those who have to fly from the West or East, Ottawa International has Canada wide reach. It's the home town of Skate Canada. Travel expenses for most of the sections would be greatly reduced. There are great things to do in Ottawa in the Winter. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. Here's to Ottawa for the win!

20. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I have no sympathy for Ottawa not getting Canadians in awhile.

21. minuet

minuet Well-Known Member

They said at the AGM that the announcement would be coming soon (I'm thinking in the next month)

They also said an announcement on title sponsors for their 2 major events is also going to be coming in that time.

22. googooeyes

googooeyes Member

I guess a lot depends on the sponsor. Canadians are in January and they are listed on the Central Ontario Section website now as TBA January. But there is also this competition listed:
    FIGURE SKATING BOUTIQUE WINTERFEST 2012 &
    2012 WORLD CHALLENGE CUP FOR JUNIORS QUALIFIER
    January 13 - 15, 2012
    Hershey Centre,
    Mississauga, ON

Sorry can anyone tell me what this is? It seems to be close in time frame to Canadians and makes me wonder if it won't be done in conjunction with Canadians. But on the other hand, Skate Cnanada is already in Mississauga and it would be odd to have two major events in one city back to back.

23. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Synchro competition.

BTW, Figure Skating Boutique is still listed as the title sponsor of Thornhill Summer Skate (and other COS competitions) in the Announcement -- link to the Thornhill thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79018

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  24. googooeyes

googooeyes Member

Thanks!

25. canadianskater

canadianskater New Member

I would love Nationals to be in Ottawa. It's been since 2006 and they've had success with Scotiabank Place for Skate Canada in 2008 so why not?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  26. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

27. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

I guess they still haven't found a title sponsor since the press release only says "2012 Canadian Figure Skating Championships". No more BMO.

28. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Can someone post the dates!? I can't get the announcement to load on my work computer!

Thanks!

29. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

January 16-22.

30. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011