Canadian TV Schedule for 2011-12

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by seaner00, Oct 10, 2011.

1. seaner00

seaner00 New Member

2. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

It does not seem as if CTV will be airing Skate Canada live and/or complete. Where in the world is the gala?

Wow, so great. I hope people enjoy CTV's oh-so brilliant commentary shown on an affordable channel at a reasonable hour.

3. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Notice also that the World Championships Preliminaries seem to be on the schedule too - they didn't have that last year.

4. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

There is no coverage of Skate America on the BOLD schedule, I'm so disappointed.

Anyone know if it will be on cbc.ca?

5. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Thanks, seaner00. I needed that.

6. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

My PVR is showing the Friday schedule of Skate Canada. It'll be on TSN 11am-2pm PT and then TSN2 4:30pm-7:30pm (the website indicates TSN, though). That corresponds to actual Friday schedule of Skate Canada. We *may* actually get all the performances, at least that first day.

7. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

It's on the main CBC television station. I set my DVR for it yesterday. :)

8. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Wow, the whole 4CC and World Juniors on cbcsports.ca!! This made my day (after the lack of 4CC coverage last season)!!

9. Japanfan

It's possible to access the cbc.ca coverage after the event is over, isn't it?

10. Skate Talker

There is coverage on both cbcsports.ca and CBC Television. I haven't compared to the actual event times so I don't know if anything is live but have a look for yourself - http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/broadcast/

There is encore coverage on CBC Bold.

Click on the source name at the top of the schedule to see each schedule individually.

Any of the figure skating that was streamed is usually available on demand. Select the Full Games and Shows option.

11. seaner00

seaner00 New Member

CTV/TSN have just announced that Rod Black will be commentating alongside Tracy Wilson. Sara Orlesky will be the rinkside and backstage reporter. Brian Williams is the host.
    http://tsn.ca/figure_skating/story/?id=378546

Is Tracy not working with the CBC anymore or does she have 2 commentator jobs now?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  12. Skate Talker

I think you mean 3, or is it more, commentator jobs. Tracy is pretty free lance - she works for US based channels as well so just because she is on the TSN/CTV broadcast team I would not automatically assume she won't show up on CBC, though I wouldn't be surprised it that won't happen until at least the GP Final. (Or maybe only World Championships?) Hard to say for sure until there is an announcement from CBC or until it happens.

13. puglover

puglover Active Member

According to the CBC sports link and my TV Times, they are showing Skate America Sunday beginning at 3:00 p.m. Calgary time on the main channel. My DVR, which is usually quite accurate, shows that time as Canadian Antiques Roadshow. Does anybody know which is right? Thanks.

14. Picton

Picton Member

According to Star Week and Shaw Direct, CBC will show Skate America from 3 - 5 p.m. on Sunday.

15. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

On yesterday's broadcast, they advertised ladies & pairs SP plus dance LP at 3 p.m. today, plus additional coverage at 12:30 a.m. tonight (technically tomorrow) for the ladies & pairs LP.

16. Skate Talker

So further to the Tracy Wilson question, she did appear at the top of the CBC broadcast from Skate America giving an overview of the competition. I believe she was later on the NBC broadcast but haven't watched the DVR yet.

Brenda Irving seems to have stepped it up a notch this year. We are getting more knowledgeable comments from her instead of rehashed comments about the skater's personal histories.

17. skatingpj

skatingpj New Member

Hi everyone!

I am sorry for the late notice...had a laptop dissolve in front of my very eyes and am still trying to ramp up the new one!!! (Feel my pain!)

It is nice to see that the CBC schedule is posted...and I wanted to let you know that we are trying something new for Skate Canada and that is live blogging in addtion to my tweeting @skatingpj with all of the event-related stuff as it unfolds. Live blogging at scribblelive.com is fun because we can post pics, videos (I got Bruce Davison yesterday) and small opinion pieces as well as it pulling in my tweets to that spot...

Here is the link:

https://client.scribblelive.com/Event/Skate_Canada

Any questions or whatever - please feel free to be in touch...you guys have your fingers on the pulse of skating and I couldn't be more pleased to be part of this skating fraternity!

Cheers :)

Pj

18. Skate Talker

Oh didn't see this in time for today, but it should be a big help for tomorrow when I can't see the Free Dance live. Only problem is it is asking for my login as if I am running the blog or something. Maybe this is just because it isn't active right now? (I hope)

19. skatingpj

skatingpj New Member

Hi Skate Talker! I am not sure as I am still new..But I just got a quick Tutorial!.Here is the link to the blog: http://t.co/W3eoHZC The audience doesn't need to create an account...I am in the midst of my pre-event thumb stretching (and hair curling!) so I will be ready to go when it all starts! Pj

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  20. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Good job by TSN/CTV.

I love PJ, but there is something different when the commentators are in the arena. The interviews intros, montages and fluff pieces done by TSN tend to be flashier and glossier than CBC. But CTV can get repetitive--gee, Tessa is skating pain free? Patrick has world record scores? Javier is coached by Brian Orser? Elizaveta Tuktamisheva is a jumping machine? Okay, I get it!

I miss not seeing the medal ceremonies.

CTV provides far superior French Canadian coverage, though. Too bad our area does not get RDS2 coverage.

And no technical glitches, which CBC has a tendency to experience.

PJ, any chance for complete and live coverage of anything besides Worlds and GPF? 4CC or Jr Worlds, perhaps?

21. skatingpj

skatingpj New Member

Hi Manhn...for live and complete and on Bold it's GPF and Worlds for the moment - There will be shows devoted to 4CC and Junior Worlds although I dont have the details just yet...will keep you posted as I get more info! Cheers :) Pj

manhn and (deleted member) like this.
  22. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

WOW! I'm excited to see so much coverage on CBC main station. For this WA state grrrl, it means I can watch some comps that won't get covered as fully on US channels.

:cheer2: Thanks, CBC!!! :cheer2:

23. Japanfan

PJ - is CoC is on Bold this Wednesday and Thursday?

I haven't watched the CBC coverage yet (the second one is on right now 1-2 a.m PST) because I've managed to stay unspoiled. So don't know if the schedule has been posted there. Then there's coverage on Vision tomorrow night. . .I don't know who is showing what, but BOLD is listed as showing all the free skates over four hours? I'm getting really confused and going through a lot of videotapes (I know, PRV is your best friend in such situations. . .).

If you're covering all the GPs delayed on BOLD I'd appreciate knowing the schedule - of course, ignore this request if it's been posted on CBC.

Many thanks.