Canadian Synchro Skating Championships in Calgary Feb. 21-23

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by luna_skater, Feb 15, 2013.

1. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

If you'll be in the Calgary area next week, I recommend taking advantage of the chance to see the Canadian Synchro Championships live and in living colour -- the last time they were in Calgary was 1995, and they don't come west of Ontario often!

More info is the Skate Canada site (though it appears to be undergoing maintenance currently), and here are a couple of news features promoting the event:

Les Supremes Novice (St-Leonard, QC) on CTV news: http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=865459

Black Gold Pre-Novice (Calgary) in the local paper: http://www.calgaryherald.com/swerve/living/story.html?tab=PHOT&id=7960541

Enjoy!

2. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

I'll be going. Though I've never been a huge fan of synchro or even seen a competition before... it should be fun! :p

3. luna_skater

4. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

NEXXICE's winning performance was amaaaaaaaazing!! I thought it was so cool that they had a male on their team as well, the only one in all of Canada apparently.

It was a fun experience for sure. I don't think I could handle sitting through a lot of the lower levels though... the quality difference between the top senior teams and all the rest was incredible.

5. luna_skater

Yes, there is a reason NEXXICE are the current World Silver Medalists, and former World Champions. :)

Lee (the male skater on NEXXICE) actually isn't the first male skater on a Canadian team, but is the first male to compete on a Canadian team at the World Championships. There have been several males on Canadian teams over the years, in all different categories.

6. minx

minx New Member

I just found this gem from the archives (of bad 1980's hair we want to forget) of the 1989 precision championships. 30+ skaters on a team? Wow. The choreography required to fit them all on the ice :eek: The high kicks and chop chop style of skating. :scream: Only one hold? :shuffle:

I absolutely love the maturity of this sport and what it looks like today.

Here's the link, starting in the middle as there are interviews at the front end of this long youtube compilation, 1989 Canadian Precision Skating Championships

You could watch the beginning interviews to see Debbie Wilkes in her younger days and video of try out session in Whitby. Who still has their leggings and hand knit sweater practice outfit? :lol:

Edit: Here's the 2013 champs Nexxice for comparision: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEhRguLERUw