Canadian Summer Competitions

Discussion in 'Kiss And Cry 2014-2015' started by shutterbug, Jun 1, 2013.

1. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Some Senior Ladies photos from Minto SS taken by Danielle Earl.

Only Alaine Chartrand so far

If that's not Alaine let me know. :) I'll upload more tomorrow.

2. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

3. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Nice win for R&H over O&W in the SD

4. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I might make it to see some of BC Summerskate. Can anyone tell me if there are any non-senior events I should see if I can? I am not super familiar with the non-senior skaters.

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

If you like dance, Wing/Lowe have some lovely Junior dance teams in it. I also like to watch Novice and Pre-Novice pattern dances, which I can't this year, but I love CD's.

It sounded from last year's commentary there some exciting Junior Ladies trying for harder content than in the past and even more than Senior Ladies. The one flight of Junior Men includes Mitchell Gordon.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  6. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. Alaine Chartrand is sure having a busy weekend - she competed in both the junior and senior short programs (and managed a three point improvement on her senior score in the junior program). Looks like she is competing both free programs today as well. It will be interesting to see how her stamina holds up with both programs today.

Kelsey Wong looks like she had a strong short program in junior ladies - one more to add to the list of potential JGP competitors.

7. thumbyskates

thumbyskates Member

Junior and Senior dance will be lovely events, as should the last flight of Junior Ladies potentially (isn't always a potentially for any Junior ladies event :D). Mitchell Gordon, as mentioned, will be in Junior Men. The top flight of Novice Ladies U17 should also be good if you happen to be around, but I probably wouldn't drive out to see it.

8. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

Alaine only skated her junior free today. She scored 102. She fell on one jump, possibly a toe but my memory is failing me - its been a loooong weekend! Her opening 3 lutz combo was lovely. I think she may have 2 footed a couple of jumps later in the program. It's hard to tell when I am taking pictures though so I could be wrong!

Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Rogueskater

Rogueskater New Member

Junior Freedance Results

1. Madeline Edwards/ ZhoaKai Pang - BC (75.30)
    2. Brianna Delmaestro/ Timothy Lum - BC (69.76)
    3. Whitney Miller/ Shane Firus - BC (67.59)
    4. Danielle Wu/ Spencer Soo - BC (66.68)
    5 Jessica Jiang/ Tyler Miller - BC (60.23)
    6. Katie Desveaux/ Dmitre Razgulajecs - CO (57.23)
    7. Lauren Collins/ Danny Seymour - CO (56.51)
    8. Courtney Royer/ Addison Voldeng - SK (55.80)
    9. Samantha Glavine/ Jeff Hough - EO (55.25)
    10. Laura-Maude Verret/ Simon Desrochers - QC (52.30)
    11. Camille Mondor/ Stefan Dyke - QC (50.74)
    12. Margo Huen/ Matthew Webb - NS (50.66)

WD Jean-Luc Jackson/ Jocelyn Leblanc - WO
    WD Garrett/ Mackeen/ Mackenzie Bent - EO

10. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Almost all the results for Minto are now up, at this link. A few of the links within the results page don't work (for example, the senior ladies protocols), but most are fine. One of the things I love about the Minto results is that the detailed protocols are published along with the actual results.

The new BC junior ice dance teams did well, as Rogueskater's post shows (post just above this one). In particular, perhaps Delmaestro/Lum put themselves in the running for a JGP spot. They have now met the Skate Canada criteria for a JGP assignment.

11. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

The withdrawal of Bent & MacKeen from the FD was due to an incident during the warm-up. He had her in a lift where she was sort-of upside-down. They were skating down the centre of the ice and Edwards and Pang were between them and the end of the ice. Neither couple seemed aware of the other and those in the audience starting shouting out a warning. Bent & McKeen were able to stop before there was an actual collision but in the ensuing moments he was unable to support her and she went to the ice, head first. She remained on the ice for some time with their coaches and Minto folk going out to provide assistance. Eventually she was able to leave the ice standing on her feet, supported by her partner and a coach (if I recall correctly). An ambulance was called but I'm not sure if she was just checked or taken to the hospital.

12. Daniskates93

She was both checked and went to the hospital, however suffered no concussion, thank goodness. That was a scary moment for sure. I was so rattled I missed part of the program of the team who skated first. So glad she's ok!

13. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Thanks for the update - glad she's OK! It certainly was an upsetting few minutes!

It's also unfortunate that they didn't get to skate their free dance, especially since they had won the short dance.

14. Daniskates93

I completely agree!

As far as I know, they are skating in Thornhill at the Scarboro Ice Dance Elite "So You Think You Can Judge" event (August 7th) as well as Thornhill Summer Skate, so they'll definitely have a couple of chances to get their free program out before their JGP :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  15. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

16. Sylvia

Sylvia Club comp. season is here!

17. The Accordion

Chan IS on the list

18. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

2013 Wildrose Invitational in Calgary is scheduled this weekend as well. The event is livestreamed here:

http://www.skateabnwtnun.com/en-us/competitions/livestreaming2013wildroseinvitational.aspx

Senior women are scheduled to start at 8:05 pm on the West Arena on Saturday...no start order is posted yet for Kaetlyn Osmond but she is listed to skate.

There are also 3 Novice Pair teams and a Senior Pair team (Rudy and Paige) competing on Saturday on the East arena beginning at 8:30 pm with the Novice teams. Senior Pair exhibition is scheduled to begin at 8:50.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  19. luckiest1

Yes, he is still listed in the entries. My point was that he was not on the skate order list. It has been pointed out that he may just skate in the long program. My fingers are crossed that this is true!

20. kates8

kates8 Active Member

In a combined event are you allowed to only skate the Free? I've seen people pull out after the short and not skate free, but not sure when it's a combined event if you can just skate the second part??

21. Daniskates93

It happens a lot in summer competitions, if I remember correctly. Also, he's Patrick Chan so... ;)

22. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

23. halffull

halffull Life is a beautiful thing

I agree with kates8. I don't believe in a combined event you can just do the free ... even if you are P Chan.

24. luckiest1

Skate Canada replied to me on Facebook and confirmed that Patrick will just skate his long program. :)

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  25. halffull

I just saw that ... Skate Canada never fails to amazing me in the bending of the rules. They sure know how to annoy the average skater and turn them off. Good for Patrick though and for the fans :)

26. Jenifer

Jenifer Active Member

Just curious, why would Chan's only skating the FS annoy the average skater? It's a non-qualifying summer competition, isn't the goal for everyone to show their programs and get feedback before internationals/qualifying season? If I were an "average skater", I'd be pretty stoked about the opportunity to compete on the same ice as the world champion, even if it were just for the FS.

27. halffull

In a combined event the skater must always skate the short program in order to skate the free skate. I know of skaters who have had their free skates ready for summer comps but didn't feel their shorts were ready so they have not competed until the fall when both programs were up to speed. The way SC bends the rules for their elite athletes is very frustrating to those not at that high level. I completely understand SC wanting to help out their athletes who are competing at an international level but it isn't fair to the rest of the skaters when the rules are broken for the elite alone.

28. The Accordion

That makes sense! Glad to read that you got your wish! Enjoy for all of us!

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I don't think rules should be bent, but I disagree with the rules in the first place. SC, like every federation has different practices for elite athletes. SC has valid, mission-related reasons to want its elite athletes to show new programs at early competitions to get mileage and feedback on them, and its a net positive for both competition organizers and other competitors to bring in larger crowds and provide the experience of sharing practice and warmup ice with top skaters.

As long as objective criteria are set in advance and applied equally, I don't think there should be rules that have to be bent to allow elite skaters to skate a single program.

30. Simone411

Simone411 Do it while you still can!

Thanks watching live now, but it's not the Senior women. I think it must be Novice or younger ladies?