Canadian Stars on Ice 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Emdee, Dec 1, 2012.

1. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Weird, but also well done.
    All through the video I kept thinking someone was missing but I couldn't figure out who... until the last 3 seconds lol.

2. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Thanks. That is great. Fortunately.. no naked bodies and colourful graphics - all black and white like the costumes.:D

3. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Sadly, I did not make it to CSOI last night. Grandson's show ended at 7, then I had to take Mom back to residence and get her settled.

It's OK, though. Grandsons were brilliant and Mom was good. Maybe next year.

4. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I AM SO GLAD I WENT!!!!

My only complaint is I loved so many of the skaters so much I didn't know where to look in the group numbers- and since I had on ice seats - that made things difficult!

I loved seeing Carmen so close and so freely skated! The crowd got so quiet and I just don't think they could have done it better. This number alone made it worth it for me.

Of course it was an absolute honour to see Singin in the Rain in person, Kurt is one of my all time favourite skaters and Kurt and Jeff are both just so incredibly musical.

I don't know how I forgot exactly how much I adore Jeff Buttle. Jeff's 2nd number was to die for IMO. Oh. Every beat of music every detail choreograhed and he is so committed. He is such a dancer! And his choreography was just wonderful as well - very much like him - musical, creative, every detail taken care of.

I loved the opening number and the World Champion number and the closing number was excellent too.

I loved seeing Patrick Chan having fun and Shawn Sawyer's theatricality and flexibility and insane sense of performance.

I really liked the addition of Duhamel and Radford and the Kerrs - and I loved the Canadian boxers!

What a terrific show and cast! Lucky us!

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  5. spikydurian

Last week of June and first week of July - Montreal.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to JGPF & GPF!

Videos from the London show:
    Re-posting from the V&M thread:
    Re-posting from the Chan ├╝ber thread:
    ETA 2 photos tweeted today by Seattle local news station KING5:
    "In beautiful Vancouver w/ ashwagner2010 Great interview. Final night for @starsonice Canadian tour" http://pic.twitter.com/jKtbyMgh0n

"The @starsonice folks hit the streets of Vancouver, @AshWagner2010 & @Pchiddy mugging for the camera." http://pic.twitter.com/GlFodVwVFK

ETA #2 - Meagan Duhamel's SOI blog (May 3): http://www.starsonice.com/?content=blog&id=5094

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

There is an adult with a red Lindt t-shirt putting a bunch of kids in red Lindt t~shirts through the drill of lifting white cards that say "Lindt" then pictures of chocolate then "Tessa & Scott."

I hope bad dress rehearsal is good luck for later.

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

9. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Vancouver show, amazing. I loved last years show. I loved this years show even more. They are seriously top of the heap, talents for the ages.

The show is incredibly tight, each number flowed into the next. The music is FANTASTIC. Seriously, it's like they banded together beforehand and discussed Soundtrack because every one of the tunes I would totally rock on the stereo, in the exact order. Light ephemeral impressionist vignettes from Jeffrey and Joannie was really special. Campy White Stripes from Shaun and mascara as prop, rockstar. Sade from Joannie (whom, I agree with other reflections, is seriously alluring, her range of movement has increased since 2010 and I love watching her arms and shoulders, and pointed toes). Kurt was just...no words. He's got it. Singing in the Rain is other worldy. Nostalgic and romantic, and silly and just ever so slightly heart aching.

The costuming really stood out for me in the group numbers, which were fantastic! So much going on, there will be much youtube nerding for me to catch all those missed moments. There were so many stand out moments...

Tessa and Scott, I had to yell a throat strained WE LOVE YOU, over-whooped voice be damned. Stay was a fresh-watch for me, and I can wax lyrical with a string of adjectives but it's all been said before, so all I have to say is the buzzy lucky-fan feeling remains stronger than ever in me.

Patrick is a sex god. With a mega watt goof grin. He's just so powerful on the ice. And all sinewy and muscles. Delish.

The Kerr's were a fantastic addition to the group. I see why they've gained a reputation as beloved crowd pleasers. There's something about their energy. Not to mention, John Kerr's back, and front-side flash during the bows after their ode to Scotland number.

Prank: during the Gold Medallists number, Kurt grabbed a bucket of water by the stage door right before the spotlight introduced Patrick and dumped it on the unsuspecting sucker, who took it like a champ.

Meagan and Eric didn't skate their solos?

Such a fun, memorable evening. Hope everyone who went out to the shows this season had an amazing time too!

10. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Also, saw Jeremy Ten outside on the concourse.

Incidentally, I was with a girlfriend of mine when we saw Mr. Ten, and she's like a charm for celebrity encounters (yes, celebrity) because it was walking with her arm in arm down a sunny busy street downtown a short while ago that I took a turn into Mr. Sandhu. And being emboldened by a brewsky or two, I shouted out "Eman!" which prompted his attention and removal of headphones, and a split second of confusion a la "do i know this person? should I know this person? should I front the same familiarity as she's projecting? what's going on" to which I followed up with a hasty "love you". And then we had passed each other, and the moment was complete.

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

That's interesting, because when they spoke at the end, I think it was Rochette who said that Buttle choreographed all of the group numbers and pushed him forward and didn't mention Roca, but I don't think she was there. They pointed out and thanked director Jef Billings, who was there. Browning thanked a bunch of people and the fans for coming and handed the microphone to Rochette ("because I like to hear her cute French accent") and told her to say anything, "say the ABCs" in French. She was very gracious, but :wuzrobbed no greeting in French. She gave the mike to Scott Moir, and he might have been the one to thank the crew. Earlier in the show, Virtue and Moir thanked the fans and gave a shpiel about Lindt chocolates, samples of which were handed out in the lobby after the show :swoon:

The group numbers were mostly superb. I didn't think the final number was tight, and it seemed a bit scattered. The opening was both bizarre and exquisite, and I could have watched Joannie Rochette with her umbrella glide/glide/glide step off the ice, glide/glide/glide, etc. all night long.

Unless I was miraculously comatose just for the exact length of Duhamel and Radford's intro/solo program/transition, we only got them in the opening and closing numbers.

On the on-ice corner monitors, there was a series of slides that said, "Sochi 2014, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir/Patrick Chan" and then "2014 Stars on Ice/Kurt Browning" so they seem to be optimistic for a show next year. If they can't draw in crowds post-Sochi, there's no hope.

I didn't see the Victoria show; I can't describe what they did differently, except that I doubt it was part of the standard show when Patrick Chan was doused with a bucket of water (I think by Browning) as he, Browning, Buttle, and Virtue and Moir were waiting to start the first act closer. (When Jeff Buttle gave his World Vision speech, he started by saying that this was the last show of the season, which Patrick knows more than anyone, and then faux-sneeringly called Chan "rookie.") In the group number with umbrellas, did water always squirt out of them? Did rain always pour on Kurt Browning at the end of "Singing in the Rain"?

I thought the quality of the programs was so uniformly good, the only distinctions I can make were likes. Ashley Wagner's two programs were clearly designed to keep her sharp, with intricate and difficult entrances into jumps, like a spread eagle into a triple on the reverse curve in her first number. I preferred her second program to "Sweet Dreams", which she skated like a fireball of energy. If she can skate with that brutal confidence during the season, she will have nothing to worry about. The Kerrs programs were a contrast, but how do they manage to be 2000x hotter than Virtue and Moir, who started their "Stay" number with Virtue in a pink negligee dress by (carefully) rolling over each other and ended "Carmen" with Virtue's orgasm? Some of the things in "Carmen" that looked contrived to me on TV in the competitive version, like the modern dance segment, were really strong live, and the lifts were :inavoid: (The main part they dropped for CSOI was the "Flower Song" section.) Sawyer is such a pro as a performer. The caterpillar suit at the start of "O Fortuna" had the four-year-old behind me squealing with delight, and the butterfly wings showed off Sawyer's signature moves brilliantly.

I loved both of Buttle's and Rochette's programs, but I have a soft spot for Rochette's second, "That Man," which was so light, precise, and cheeky without any winks. She is such a delight to watch. I thought the Van Cliburn/Dave Brubeck tribute with the two of them was moving. Both of Browning's programs showed him at his signature best, with intricate footwork and his trademark timing. As Rochette said at the end of the show, it was such a privilege to see him do "Singing in the Rain" live, at the end of which nearly the entire arena was up on its feet. (She also said it great to see him do the program live, since the broadcast was 20 years ago, at which he looked mock hurt, and then she said to him something like "I was alive then" to make him feel better.)

Chan is starting to get the hang of this, but I didn't much like "Mannish Boy": for me, he's not a very convincing ass-shaker. He doesn't need to: he more than held his own in the group numbers with Buttle, Kerr, Browning, Sawyer, and Moir just by dancing -- if he can transfer some of that to his competitive FS this season, it would be grand -- and he's plenty panties-worthy without it. I loved the high five between Browning and Chan in the finale when four of the them did simultaneous 2A's and nailed the landings. As the skaters spread out to interact with the fans in on-ice seats, Chan was very cute with the two little girls from whom Scott Moir stole some pop corn earlier: I think they eyed him suspiciously, thinking he was going to steal more food from them. Moir was very gracious to the fans in our corner of the rink. Browning thanked the crowd for coming as he skated by.

The show this year was fantastic.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  12. screech

screech Well-Known Member

According to Meagan's twitter, Eric injured his hand at the last minute so they couldn't do the performance.

13. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

14. lola10

lola10 New Member

Thank you Teenes! The pictures are great!

15. Fort

Fort New Member

16. spikydurian

17. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

18. spikydurian

^^ Thanks Clarie. Kurt's sense of humour is also obvious in his writing.

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to JGPF & GPF!

Here's the Ashley Wagner interview with the local Seattle news station, including appearances by her fellow SOI cast members (Patrick Chan and Sinead Kerr comment on camera): http://www.king5.com/sports/US-figure-skater-eyes-2014-Sochi-medal-stand-207959541.html

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The video opens with Wagner shopping with Eric Radford.

21. nyrak

nyrak Active Member

Nice to see the story, I was in Vancouver for SOI, when I returned to my hotel I saw Eric Radford being interviewed by King 5. I didn't realize Ashley was a "local" girl, good luck to her next season :)

22. SiriusboutBlack

SiriusboutBlack Member

23. spikydurian

Thank you so much SiriusboutBlack for all your 'hard work' putting everything together nicely. Enjoy your the reveiw very much together with the great pictures.

24. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to JGPF & GPF!

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  26. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

27. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Since I couldn't go this year :( I've followed this thread closely - thank you everyone for your reports, videos and photos. Much appreciated :respec:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

This morning I got an email with a $5.00 mail-order-only presale offer for 2014 CSOI. The link was to this page, in which you download an order form, which must be postmarked by 30 June.

http://www.starsonice.ca/stars-on-ice-tickets-schedule.php

Please note that at least the Vancouver date is the 2013 date.

29. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Stars on Ice
    An encore presentation of the 2012 broadcast of Investors Group Stars on Ice presented by Lindt will air this Friday night, June 14, at 8 pm EDT on CBC!

30. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up - great show - I really enjoyed seeing it again!