Canadian Stars on Ice 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Emdee, Dec 1, 2012.

1. puglover

puglover Active Member

I can hardly wait to see Patrick on Sunday in Calgary. Big, big hugs from me.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

3. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

I don't want to wash my hand ever again... tonight I shook hands with Jeff Buttle, Patrick Chan, and Kurt Browning. The Winnipeg show was a great show! Joannie Rochette and Kurt Browning were the highlights for me - loved both their numbers. Done for another year:)

4. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

I keep meaning to ask- what is the merchandise like this year, in particular the shirts?

5. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Is there any SOI ore equivalent in June? My colleague is going back to Canada for holiday in June. I will let her if there is any.

6. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

:):)
    Perfect way to end a skating season, isn't it? :)

7. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

Can't agree more.

8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

CSOI ends on 10 May (a week from tomorrow) in Vancouver.

Where in Canada will she be? There may be some local shows.

9. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Aww, what a nice memory for you! Did you have on-ice seats?

A few comments about the Winnipeg show……..we had great seats, row 1 center ice. :D Decent size crowd this year and quite enthusiastic. Only two SO’s though, one for Kurt and one at the end of the show. Mostly clean performances, one fall by Patrick, and a wiffed 3sal and a fall on a 3toe by Kurt. He made up for the sal by doing it at the end of the program, :lol: but the fall on the toe happened during Singing In The Rain when he was holding the umbrella, so it was actually pretty :yikes: Overall, we both felt it was probably the best SOI in many years, possibly ever. So much quality skating it’s hard to pick highlights, except for Singing In The Rain, which was an absolute privilege to see. And It was so nice to have a pair team back in the cast again! :cheer: My coach commented that D/R come across much better live than they do on TV. I also love how sophisticated the group numbers have become over the last couple of years. Hard to photograph with so much going on, but amazing to watch! Started uploading my pictures here if anyone wants to have a look: http://skateshutterbug.zenfolio.com/p918534020

BTW, does anyone else think Joannie looks thin?

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  10. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

^ Woohoo, more gorgeous pics. Thank you! :encore:

11. spikydurian

Bailey, you should make hand print, frame it up with caption - I hugged Jeff, Patrick and Kurt. (that's your hand talking).:lol:

Thank you so much shutterbug! Love those pictures. Gosh Megan's defying gravity pose is :cool:

12. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Great photos, shutterbug. Thanks for sharing!

13. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Wonderful shots! Thanks! I agree with your coach about D/R looking better live. Or maybe they're gaining in confidence as a result of the medal or learning from their fellow skaters or both. Not sure but love the result! They did a throw in front of me and I strained my neck looking up!
    Joannie looks very trim and in incredible shape. Not sure if she's thinner. Sure does get more and more gorgeous with every year. Her skating has interesting choreo, not the usual poses we so often see. Long may she entertain us!

14. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Both of Joannie's show programs this year seem really interesting, especially "That Man". She has always been better in shows than in competitions IMO but since 2010 she has grown so much as a performer. I think touring has taught her how to "let go" of herself and her musicality and versatility really shine. Unfortunately there's only a low-quality fan video of "That Man" on Youtube shot pretty far away. If anyone has a recording of it please do post it! It would be much appreciated!

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  15. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

Yes, she has really grown as a performer these past few years. The difference between Joannie and Ashely (and I love Ashley's skating) was profound... Joannie has become an exceptional performer. And yes, my group did also comment that Joannie looked very, very thin.

16. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

update ...

i was indeed too late to get tickets to the meet and greet, but after a few emails, i ended getting a pass to the pre-show where i met tessa and scott. i'm always in the virtue-moir thread so you may not know, but i'm the blogger behind compulsory dances, which is a blog dedicated to tessa and scott. i wrote about the experience here.

i did cover the rest of stars on ice, but it's tessa and scott focused. here are some things you might find interesting:

videos (their numbers + cast numbers)
    photos (ditto)
    my review (ditto)

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

18. spikydurian

Thanks iggie for posting on this thread so that others can read your blog too. Thanks Teenes for the review. Sounds like a lot of fun and camaraderie among the cast which is heartening to watch.

19. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Thanks iggie and Teenes! The taste of that show is still in my mouth! Yum.

20. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

Did they play "I Think It's going to Rain today" before the show in every city? Does anyone know what version of the song (who sang it) they played?

21. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

*Finally* got my Toronto Stars on Ice photos done and up. Still need to do Hamilton!

http://kurtfiles.com/pics/event.php?id=2013/Toronto Stars on Ice&search=

BTW, since I think most people don't know about the feature, if you go to the main photo page on my site:
    http://kurtfiles.com/pics

You can use the search box to look at the photos of just the skaters you're interested in, or just the programs, or whatever. I wasn't as good about it in early years but recently I make sure to tag the skater in every photo he or she appears in (Group numbers, transitions, etc). The search system is quite limited - it's really dumb so you have to do exact matches with program names and skater names, and it doesn't understand dates (you can't search "Patrick Chan 2013"). It can't handle quotes or apostrophes or words like AND or NOT that aren't in the title. But if you do, like, "Patrick Chan Toronto Stars on Ice" it'll give you all my photos of Patrick from Toronto SOI. Or "Kurt Browning Singing in the Rain" will give you all my photos of Singing in the Rain. I know some people want to see all the photos and some just their favorite skaters, so hopefully this gives you more ways to look for what you want.

22. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

I enjoyed the show in Calgary. Everyone did quite well, only one fall I believe... from Kaetlyn on her 3toe which she misses 99% of the time in her exhibitions (and in her fs ;))
    Most of the performances I had seen before but there were some great new ones... loooooooooved Shawn Sawyer's carmina burana... amazing butterfly costume!!

23. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

2 more sleeps!!!!!

24. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Just got home from the Edmonton show... I sat on the ice, Patrick came up to the little girl sitting next to me (she wasn't more than 4 or 5) and asked her if he could have some of her pretzel, she just looked at her mom and hid her face in mommy :lol:

Don't really have much more to add, my favorite program was Meg and Eric. Kurt of course got a Standing O at the end. Edmonton crowds are really nitpicky for who they stand for, at least that's what I've noticed in the last couple years. Jeff was fantastic, I absolutely loved the Kerr's program with the pipes, I know it's an old program but a definite crowdpleaser for sure. People were right when they noticed Joannie looking to be thinner than in the past. She's still in great shape but I definitely noticed it in her. She has slimmed down - not that she was ever big to begin with, but maybe lost a tad of muscle definition, of course I'd kill to be in half as good a shape as she is though.

25. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

I'm sure as kylet3 says that Joannie is thinner because she isn't in heavy weight training mode as she would be if she were still competing. Getting through a show program isn't as taxing as a competitive free skate with all the jumps required.

26. puglover

puglover Active Member

I went to the Calgary show - splurged on floor seating for my friend and I. It was a fantastic show - so entertaining and worth the money even on one of the first nice Sundays we have had in Calgary all year. I loved everything - thought the group numbers were sensational. I love Tessa and Scott and that goes without saying with me but some other highlights for me were - Jeff - he tugs at my heart strings and everything seems so organic with him (the connection to the music, his movement, the blade work, his expressions) - loved Joannie and several people around me commented on how much more natural she looks entertaining - she has really grown , Patrick was goofy and adorable and thrilling, Kurt (of course - no words), Shawn is so in his element now - I hope he show skates for a long, long time. The skaters all seemed very relaxed and just having a great time together.

27. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

The Victoria show is tonight. I don't have a ticket. Been waiting for a Groupon offer, but I think that it's too late now.

Hmm. Have to watch my grandson's musical from 5:30 to 6:30. Will I try for a last minute ticket at the box office?

28. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

Go for it!! It's worth it.

29. nyrak

nyrak Active Member

Hope you got in JasperBoy! It was a great show :)

30. lola10

lola10 New Member