Canadian Skating/Skaters news & articles

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

2. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

From the article on Nam
    (bold mine) :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: This makes me so sad. :wuzrobbed I'm afraid Nam will have the same poor (leaning down on entry) jump technique as all the skaters trained by McLeod :mad: He could be as talented as Patrick, but unlike Patrick, who started with one of the best coaches in the country, Nam is starting with the worst. :( He needs to get his jump technique fixed now.

Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  3. oakl0008

oakl0008 New Member

oops

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I posted that article link earlier in the Shawn Sawyer thread in GSD. ;)

Here's a recent interview with Amélie Lacoste who is replacing the injured Myriane Samson in Moscow (it will be Lacoste's first Worlds): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110404&content_id=17364290&vkey=ice_news

ETA:
    Here's an article about Lee Chandler, the only male skater on the NEXXICE synchronized skating team who made history this past week as the first Canadian male to compete at the world championships: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/other/a-man-in-a-womans-world-119386684.html

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  5. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

funny how the only people who think joanne is 'well repsected' are the reporters...

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Sudbury Star article: Duhamel on a mission to Moscow
    Very :cool: that her parents finally will be making the trip abroad to watch their daughter compete internationally!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  7. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I don't think that the author said 'well respected'. I believe he said 'famed'.

8. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Is he exhibiting that poor technique already? (Didn't really notice)

IMO Nam's success borders on the freaky and I feel sorry for him in the sense that he has grown accustomed to being a superstar at 12, but that is going to change when he enters the senior ranks and goes through the inevitable growth spurt. The limelight is going to go away and winning won't come so easy. Add to that McLeod's technical weakness, he could be hard pressed to get a consistent triple axel.

It's possible that Nam has gotten too much, too soon, and too easily. Becoming a teenager is harder enough already and it would take a very special coach to provide the right sort of psychological support to a kid going through all that Nam will go through. And if he starts to falter technically, it will add to the loaded psychological mix. That's a tall order for any coach.

Hopefully his parents are healthier than Mira's, who recognized that Joanne coaching wasn't working but for the wrong reasons and didn't understand what would best for Mira. In a few years time that could make all the difference to Nam's future.

9. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

The kid is such a talent and such a great little showman. It would really be a pity if he doesn't get the input/training he needs to compete in seniors. I hope his parents read FSU:lol:

10. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

I hope not. IIRC, there was a thread last year that was pretty vicious about his father...

11. alilou

^^^^Either way I do wish somehow he/his father could get the message that he needs to get his jump technique fixed now, before growing and more years of muscle memory of the bad technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnA4FsbPU-g Link to his Canadians free skate. You can see how far down he bends to go up into a jump. This was pointed out to me by a fellow FSUer who's far more in teknik than I am. It's fine while he's tiny but won't work when he grows. I think he's a prodigy, but it could all be for nothing if he doesn't get good technical coaching.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Reposting this article link here that was posted yesterday in the US/Canada Club & Benefit Shows thread in GSD:
    ETA link to PJ Kwong's latest blog article: Focus main priority for Canadian [world] alternates (re. Alexandra Paul and Mitchell Islam)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  13. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

It would be nice to read something about Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir soon! They've been virtually silent since 4CC's! Only two more weeks till Worlds though at least :)

14. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

15. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Catching up with Bryce Davison...

http://www.cottagecountrynow.ca/sports/local/article/983477--skating-on-thin-ice

Although he'd like to compete again, he acknowledges there is no guarantee that his knee condition can be fully rehabilitated. I hope he doesn't harm his long-term health by pounding that knee with jump landings. He has many other good options (returning to university, coaching, etc.) and I wish him the best for the future, regardless of which path he chooses.

16. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

My heart breaks for Bryce when he talks about Jessica :( There seems to be so much hurt.

17. flowerpower

I actually disliked the way the writer addressed that element, and was uncomfortable with the tone of the article overall. Lines like, "Davison was not by himself as he took stride after stride around the ice surface....Pain was his companion, and has been for nearly six months now..." (going on to emphasize the emotional pain of missing a season and losing his partner, more so than the physical pain of his injury...).

I can appreciate that it is very hard to deal with unexpected changes, and Bryce had hoped to continuing competing, but to be honest, I think Jessica made a good decision, given their troubled partnership over the last couple of years. I think most people had expected them to retire after the Olys.

This writer seems to be emphasizing and fostering a level of drama that is uncalled for, IMO.

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

I agree. It's definitely a sob sister piece.

19. dramagrrl

dramagrrl Active Member

Ouch. Poor Bryce. :(

20. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

interesting to read this after the skate canada press release that really made it seem amicable - where this does not- i guess the truth lies somewhere within .....

21. Former Lurve Goddess

Former Lurve Goddess Active Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

Yeah, you don't have to worry too much about scheduling conflicts with other shows when it's being broadcast at midnight... Or talk shows in the afternoon. No prime time coverage... but then again, it's great that they are showing it after it had to be rescheduled. Does anyone know for sure that BOLD will be broadcasting the whole event?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2011
  23. alilou

As posted in the Worlds forum - tv coverage thread - PJ has already said that worlds will be on Bold. Also it was announced during CBC coverage of 4CC that worlds would be on Bold, CBC and cbc.ca

24. mag

mag Well-Known Member

ITA with this. I suppose they think drama will sell :blah:

What I find strange is that the article appears to be saying that Bryce didn't see this coming, which could be interpreted as he didn't realize how unhappy Jessica was. I find that very hard to believe. If he really didn't realize how unhappy Jessica was, it explains a lot about why she was unhappy. It indicates a significant lack of sensitivity on Bryce's part.

I realize the article was trying to make Bryce look sensitive and introspective, but IMHO it does the opposite. That said, I do hope he recovers from his injury and is able to find a partner to compete with. They are both lovely skaters and the Canadian skating scene would benefit greatly from having them both back in some capacity.

25. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Major props to this girl. :respec: She has such a great work ethic. This will take her a long way. It’s wonderful that her family will finally get the opportunity to watch her compete at Worlds. :)

No lack of confidence here. :lol: Good for them. I just hope they don’t end up going to Zoueva for choreography. Their style and look is already far too similar to V&M IMHO.

Memo to male pair skaters: Sharpen your telepathic skills because you never know when you’ll be expected to read your partner’s mind. ;) Jessica and Bryce underwent extensive couples therapy when their personal relationship ended and ongoing maintenance for some time afterward. If they don’t have excellent communication skills after all that then they should ask the psychologist for their money back. :lol: They were reportedly in constant communication during their separation. If Jessica was unhappy then it was her responsibility to speak up and see if a solution to the problem(s) could be found.

26. ksneds

ksneds New Member

27. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

28. flowerpower

She is not obliged to skate with him forever.

On another board I saw people saying that no teams break up after 8 years....how horrible...how could she do this to him? People were crying for him...she was so unfair - it came out of the blue. (Maybe they are being shipped as a couple, I don't know.) I'm not sure how long those posters felt she needed to stay with the partnership - 4 more years maybe, or maybe for as long as he wanted to keep on skating?

I don't think very many people here at this board would be likely to say this "came out of the blue". They've struggled for the last couple of years, haven't looked happy on the ice (especially Jessica), but managed to scrape through to the Vancouver Olys - good for them.

But look at the good side. They have won 3 Canadian titles, world bronze, they've participated in two Olympic games - a very successful career, indeed. And they have had some very special performances - 2008 Worlds and the 2010 Canadians FD to name a couple. They should be very proud of all that, but moving on at some point is inevitable and surely Bryce knows that.

Given all of their emotional (and physical) traumas, I'm not surprised that she feels she is ready for the next chapter in her life now. Sometimes you don't decide or accept that it's time to move on until an outside event forces your hand - in this case, their season off this year, which forced her to make some changes and train on her own. This probably gave her a chance to take stock, and led to her decision.

I don't see a villain here. Perhaps in a couple of years, he'll even decide that she was right.

29. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

30. flowerpower

Fantastic! Thank you.