Canadian Skater/FSU Member Fighting for His Life (R.I.P.)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Spun Silver, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

God Bless... both Jesse and this community that showed such care and affection for someone many had never met.

In the words of Linda Ronstadt... I wish I had a river, I could skate away on... You fought a brave battle and I hope you are skating again in Heaven...

2. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Cruisin found perfect words. I am saddened to hear these news. R.I.P., Jesse.

3. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear this. Rest well, Jesse. :(

4. pp55

pp55 Member

Rest in peace, Jesse.

5. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

Jesse - I'll never ever forget the great advice you gave me when I was trying to learn the axel jump as an adult (which I eventually did land). Sometimes, people say that friends you make in the "virtual world" of internet remain virtual, but I believe otherwise, because there was just something so genuine about you. May you rest in peace.

6. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

I thank Jesse for the extraordinary gift he has given everyone on FSU, from the people who were active in helping him to those, like me, who followed his words and his struggle. I don't think any one of us, not one, will ever forget Jesse. Say "Jesse" 20 years from now and each of us will have his or her memory of him. Death is not easy or pretty, and sometimes it is brutal. Jesse had the strength and the courage to share his experience with his virtual friends, some strangers, not just so that he could speak but so we could hear. Now is the time for kind words and beautiful sentiments but the process of getting there was so very hard and we needed to know that. Jesse gave us insight that is so rare and so important - it should be with each of us for the rest of our lives and help us be more compassionate to the sick and dying who cannot tell us how they suffer. Thank you, brave young man. I will not forget you; you've made a difference.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    Louis, victorskid, BittyBug and 5 others like this.
  7. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Thanks for posting this video. I had no idea he was such an accomplished & artistic skater. This was really beautiful. RIP Jesse.

Just a thought - dwelling on the care that Jesse did or did not receive is a waste of space & is really a downer in this thread. Why don't we appreciate the gentle soul that has passed and the fact that he touched our lives for a too short while?

victorskid, Yazmeen, Really and 5 others like this.
  8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thank you, Willoway, for that.

ETA:. taf. Jesse skated professionally for several years.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  9. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

10. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Goodbye and RIP, Jesse :(

11. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I'm saddened by the thought of Jesse.

Jesse, you were so brave. I hope God is giving you the rest that you well deserve. Inspiration is the word for you. RIP..

12. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Thank you, Sharpie. The flowers and star will be sent from FSU as soon as we know where to send them.

If anyone learns that, or if there is somewhere the family is requesting that donations be sent, please post it.

Willoway, you spoke for me.

13. Really

I would suggest sending the flowers etc to his parents' home in Fort Macleod if you don't hear otherwise.

231 Lyndon Rd
    Fort Macleod AB T0L0Z0
    CANADA

14. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I am so sad, but relieved he isn't suffering. I watched a friend go through the lung issues Jesse was having so I knew the end was near, but it never gets easier.
    RIP Jesse, and thank you for sharing your final months with us. I will think of you every time I eat a Lindor chocolate.

15. Josh78

Josh78 Active Member

Just heard about this...What a lovely skater an example of just being happy with what skating (and in a greater sense, life) gives you, no matter what...As an American who isn't all that familiar with Canadian skating, I had heard of Jesse's story a few months back and was praying and pulling for him in every way possible...the way he faced his journey with grace and bravery is something we can all learn from..Rest in peace Jesse

16. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Really, you dont think there will be a funeral with flowers displayed?

Rob, how could I forget the chocolates? I do not need to be eating Lindor truffles, but tonight i will eat some in Jesse's honor (i will make the sacrifice, while watching NHK on TV and imagining his critiques of all the 3As).

17. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

18. Really

Probably. The address was just a thought in case someone would rather send something directly to their home.

19. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

I have been following Jesse's story since it appeared here but haven't posted until now since it's hitting a little too close to home. But I have been very moved throughout these last months by his dignity, courage, and honesty with us here. Jesse, be at peace now. There were no strangers here, just friends that you didn't get the chance to meet in person. Heartfelt condolences to his family.

20. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I remember Jesse used to post in the Moves in the Field section of the board when he was still skating & it was really nice to have a high-level skater post videos of his skating and seek feedback the same way those of us who were lower-level skaters did. Knowing how active he used to be made it even harder to read his cancer thread, but I for one was very impressed he put up such a brave fight until the end. Hope he gets to make up for all the lost skating time, wherever he is now.

21. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I know, they are one of my favorites too and although I don't need them, I will pick some up too. I sent him some caramel ones and mint ones, and he PMed me that he had never tried them before. I hope he could eat some of them.

22. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

My condolences to Jesse's family and friends, and my prayers for peace, healing and comfort for everyone at this time.

23. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Rest in Peace, Jesse. Cancer sucks so much. :(

24. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

The memorial service will be on Wednesday, Nov. 13 at 2 p.m. at the Fort MacLeod Arena, 235 21st St., Fort MacLeod, Alberta, T0L 0Z0

Memorial donations can be made to: Fort MacLeod Skating Club, Box 64, Fort MacLeod, Alberta, T0L 0Z0

25. skatesindreams

Many thanks, DaveRocks, for the information.

26. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Someone shared a photo of the Memorial Service Notice on Facebook...

ETA: Oops, should have checked the last post in the thread before posting...I see the info has already been provided.

Thanks, DaveRocks... :)

skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  27. skatesindreams

I appreciate being able to see the notice, kimkom,

28. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

The funeral home and the minister are the same ones that handled the funeral for Jesse's maternal grandfather who died on 4 December 2012 at the age of 86. It has been a very difficult year for this family!

29. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Dave - thanks for the information. Is there a special fund there, or do we just send a check and a note?

30. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Just crushed when I read in the cancer thread that Jesse had lost his battle. I'd noticed his posts even before being aware of his plight because they were always unfailingly positive and because he adored MK. I thought, a classy poster with good taste - how rare! :p

RIP Jesse, and thanks for teaching me that I'd better can it and be grateful for what I have because you had to endure so much so young and with such dignity.

26 is just way, way too young - feck cancer! :mad: