Canadian Skater/FSU Member Fighting for His Life (R.I.P.)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Spun Silver, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

A 25-year-old Canadian skater, Jesse Smith, who posts here as Spazactaz, is suffering from cancer and has taken a turn for the much worse. He is posting about his situation in Off the Beaten Track.
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?88899-My-cancer-situation

This article from over a year ago talks about how important Jesse has been in his local skating club and how the club is trying to help him now.
    http://www.fortmacleodgazette.com/2012/fort-macleod-club-rallies-to-support-figure-skater/

I have confirmed with the club that the fund is still active. Here is how to make donations if you feel moved to help.

A Facebook page has also been set up for Jesse with some vids of his elegant skating.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Help-Support-Jesse-Smith/191597000952422

Please do what you can! Jesse has also posted his mailing address in the OTBT thread in case you would like to send cards directly to him.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Spun Silver

In the OTBT thread Jesse posted this today:
    In case you missed it, here is his mailing address:

Jesse Smith
    231 Lyndon Road
    Fort Macleod, AB
    T0L 0Z0 Canada

And a vid of his beautiful skating:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...top_uri=/watch?v=DFxBWcJQbcA&feature=youtu.be

3. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Thank you Spun Silver. Can one directly send a check from a US bank to Canada?

4. Spun Silver

Well, I made it clear to her that I am American and she still talked about checks, so I presume it is fine. :saint:

5. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

How Sad.. I recently lost a coworker to a brain cancer and it does just rob you in a slow painful way. :(

6. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Yes, you can definitely send a US cheque to Jesse's trust fund.

7. Spun Silver

For those that missed it: Jesse's 26th birthday was yesterday... and Kurt Browning called to wish him a Happy Birthday!!!

Jesse thinks someone at FSU is responsible. Or does Kurt read FSU? :hat1:

(Does Kurt POST on FSU? Who is Kurt???)

8. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Thanks to all those who have been posting kind and encouraging messages to Jesse in the OTBT forum. Jesse and his family are going through a very difficult time, and the support from fsu members means a lot to them. So far fsu members have contributed over $800 to Jesse's fund in Canada. Let us continue to give him our support. If you want to send him a card, or want to make a donation (please make the check to his parents- Dan & Wendy Smith OR Mr.& Mrs. Dan Smith, rather than to Jesse, so he does not have to sign the checks), his address is: Jesse Smith, 231 Lyndon Road, Fort Macleod, AB, T0L 0Z0, Canada. If sending a check, you may want to address the envelope also to Mr. & Mrs. Dan Smith (or Dan & Wendy Smith)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  9. Spun Silver

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Thanks for reposting the links, Spun silver. I had forgotten the music link. He is a good piano player too.

11. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Bumping up the thread to send a message to all:

There could be many ways to help Jesse be in a good frame of mind (as much as possible).

You can send cards, flowers, jokes, pictures of his favorite skaters, like Yu Na, Johnny, Hanyu, Joannie (he loved her recent skate at JO), Plushenko (one of the few besides himself and Johnny who has correct axel technique!) or anything else you can think might bring him joy. Jesse has been in tremendous, prolonged pain and needs encouragement. He only spends half an hour a day online now, so sending youtube links and even PMs may not be the best thing (he may feel overwhelmed by too much material)-- snail mail is best IMO, but please feel free to use whatever means you want to use to help him.

His address again :

Jesse Smith
    231 Lyndon Road
    Fort Macleod, AB
    T0L 0Z0 Canada

Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  12. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

13. Spun Silver

Indeed. :respec: You are welcome.

14. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Bumping up again - thanks for the tips, Vash01! I just sent him something today, hopefully it'll get there soon!

15. Spun Silver

Thanks, Anita18!

Tiny update: Sorry, I just learned Jesse does not like jokes! Or inspirational quotes! :saint: But he and his family enormously appreciate the concern, friendship and support of FSU members. :respec:

16. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

an update from the other thread...

Jesse passed away today =(

he will be missed

17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear this. RIP and my deepest condolences to Spazcataz's family.

18. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Saddened to hear this. His family is in my thoughts and prayers.

19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Jeremy Ten has been tweeting today:

Dearest Jesse Smith, I'll never forget our pre-novice & novice days. U were quiet but always kind and I could see that you had a huge heart​
    https://twitter.com/j3r3bear/status/398669878871085056

You will never be forgotten and when I think back on my skating career, there you will be, always.​
    https://twitter.com/j3r3bear/status/398669985515454464

You fought hard against your battle with cancer. Rest in peace. Be free. You will be missed by us all.​
    https://twitter.com/j3r3bear/status/398670305444392960

From The Skating Lesson:
    Rest In Peace, Jesse Smith.​
    https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/398673908041523200

I'm sure there have been many more from people with whom I'm not connected on Twitter.

20. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

I'm sad that Jesse has passed but on the other hand relieved that his suffering has ended. It was heartbreaking to read of his ongoing struggles with pain and breathing, the horrible treatment he received from the doctors and nurses that were supposed to be there to help him. I know he was in a small town but the lack of care and compassion was horrendous.

RIP dear Jesse.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  21. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

THIS.

It was enough to make you cry.

22. halffull

halffull Life is beautiful!

RIP Jesse

23. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Oh no. :( I am so saddened to hear this. I've been praying for him since he posted about his battle with cancer.

I am appalled at how he was treated by those who were supposed to care for him. It is an awful shame. He was in so much pain.

RIP Jesse.

24. Spun Silver

I kept expecting the medical system to turn cartwheels to help this precious, so very unfortunate young man... but it wouldn't. :(

Pray for us, Jesse!

25. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I posted in the other thread (OTBT) too. I kept getting teary eyed this afternoon, even before I heard this sad news, and I still have tears flowing. Jesse suffered a lot. He is not suffering anymore. He is at peace. My deepest condolences to his family for their loss. This must be difficult beyond imagination. Hugs to everyone, and peace to Jesse.

26. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

RIP Jesse. I'm sorry you had to suffer so much.

27. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I had been following Jesse's updates and while it's good that he's no longer suffering, everything that's happened to him is just so desperately sad; there's so much more he could have done and enjoyed in his life.

I don't imagine that his family will come to FSU, but perhaps there might be some way to send condolences?

28. Spun Silver

Zemgirl, someone on the other thread also asked about doing flowers, donations, etc.

There is a small group of FSU members planning things like this - if anyone wants to be part of it, please PM me with your email address. We were hoping to help make Jesse's last days easier for him and his family, but also started thinking ahead because the end was obviously near.

One member will send a basket of flowers in FSU's name, with a little crystal star - because Jesse was one for us. People will be invited to contribute thoughts for a scrapbook for his family. And we are thinking about a fund of some sort -- maybe for a scholarship for a young skater, or maybe a donation for research about his cancer (adenoid cystic carcinoma). It is rare and little known, and Jesse was diagnosed very late. An early diagnosis might not have saved him, but it could have given him more quality time -- years more. Please stay tuned.

29. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Spun Silver - have you check with board admins/SHARPIE to see if it's okay for you to send it in FSU's name?

I think it's a lovely idea for you to want to set up a fund or something to honour Jesse. I would also check to see if his family is doing anything, because IMO it's better to donate to their fund (if they create one, or something similar) than start another one... it might be best to give it some time for them to grieve first.

30. Spun Silver

No, good idea. Thanks.