Canadian Singles - Men & Women

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by spikydurian, Jul 7, 2013.

1. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I'm interested in what Kevin Reynolds has come up with for this year. I haven't found any news on him yet, but then I haven't read all the forums either...there's just too much to catch up with. Anyone know?

2. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

You can watch him live at the the BC Summerskate this coming weekend, and form your own opinions (but you're right, any general news would be great).

Also, were you aware that he skated in Japan in THE ICE the last week in July? A video of his performance is linked in this post. There was a suggestion that this might be his short program for this year. If so, I really like it. We'll find out if it is this weekend, hopefully.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

If this is Kevin's short, I'm thinking it could be really good for him. Also, considering his music seems to be "Russian-like" it would seem to "fit in" with a theme for Sochi?

4. halffull

halffull Life is beautiful!

I agree. I loved his short program from the last two years but I can see this working for him as well :) I admire how he has just continued to dig deep, ignore all the neigh sayers and plugged away over the years. I hope Kevin has a wonderful season.

5. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Thanks Geoskate for posting that link. I love that program and it would be a real crowd pleaser for sure. Kevin has come a long way in the last couple of years and it really mastering the showmanship angle. He has terrific arm and hand movement now....very expressive. He's a dark horse for sure at Sochi. It would not surprise me at all if he were to medal if he skates well.

6. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  7. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

8. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

9. spikydurian

10. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Thanks for these vids. Spikey. I hadn't seen Nam's show piece before. Soon we'll be starting a thread for the young guys. Does anyone know if ISU or Teka is streaming the Junior Grand Prix, since we can't get IN in Canada?

11. spiral9509

spiral9509 Skating is Language

12. geoskate

Thanks, spikydurian, for the links. I hadn't seen these before.

Nam Nguyen's show program is ridiculously good for his age. A triple axel (two-footed, I think, but still) and two triple-triple combinations, plus some other jumps, all under lights, is amazing.

13. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Nam has improved enormously after being with Brian. He skated with great maturity and Brian gave him a huge hug when he came of the ice. Both of them were ecstatic at his performance.

14. HJay

HJay New Member

From memory (not checking the protocols) Nam put down clean 3As at Thornhill last weekend.

15. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Seems like in a few ýears' time we will see a fierce battle between Nguyen and Sadovsky for Canada's no. 1 in men's singles. Judging by how Nam and Roman scored at Thornhill in the free skate, they'd probably be pretty much equal if they had similar jump content. But Roman couldn't take his 3Loop off the ice in the long program and doesn't have a 3A yet in his jump arsenal. Very promising young skaters, both of them.:kickass:

16. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Roman was injured last year and didnt go to Canadians so he has probably lost crucial time training.

17. spikydurian

VarBar, I am always excited looking at the upcoming youngsters and hope that they all will prevail to the seniors. Some may take little steps at a time, and some big leaps every now and then. At the end of the day, so long they reach their goals, that's a big milestone for them. We can also enjoy watching them grow. ;)

I think someone has posted Ten's skate in one of the threads. But I am posting it here too since this is for Canadian men and women singles. Ten's FS and SP in the BC Summer Competition. I think there's likely to be a tight fight for the third place at the Canadian Nationals. No news on Liam Firus. Is he injured?

Corianna, I am not aware of any live streaming for the Junior Grand Prix. I don't subscribe to Teka (I am keen to but I don't understand Russian so I don't know how to go about doing it).:( There is one website I always checked out. Sometimes if lucky, there may be live streaming for figure skating here.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

The ISU has been uploading all the JGP videos (right after each.performance) on their YouTube channel for the past 2 seasons now. :)

19. Sylvia

Re-posting from the BC SummerSkate competition thread in Kiss and Cry:
    Thanks for re-posting Jeremy Ten's SummerSkate videos here -- with his 7-triple-including-clean-3A-in-FS (144.81 FS, 219.91 total), I hope he builds on his momentum for Nebelhorn Trophy. :)

ETA:
    Ten's SP music is from the W.E. (2012) film soundtrack by Abel Korzeniowski. Do we know what his FS music (composer/title(s)/artist) is?

ETA #2: Found my answer in a recent interview with Jeremy Ten: http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2013/07/interview-with-jeremy-ten.html

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Liam Firus was injured last season and he skated with serious injury at Canadian Nationals last year, which made his 3rd place finish in the SP and his National Team placement that much more remarkable. I sat next to a family member during his brother Shane's FD performance and was told that he's close to being fully recovered and working hard in rehab to get there and to be healthy for this year's Nationals. He was at BC Summerskate to watch at least one segment of the Men's competition (SP, IIRC) and he looked fit and relaxed.

21. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I don't go to competition threads, so I am always grateful to all those who share links to videos in threads that everyone can see because I don't always have time to do my own searches. Wow to Jeremy Ten's skates. Jeremy is a very agreeable man to watch, he has nice basics and good presentation. Hopefully he didn't peak too early in the season and he'll repeat those skates at Nationals.:)

Then Nam should really fear a healthy and fully trained Sadovsky.:cool:

22. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

It's going to be an amazing fight for third between Jeremy, Andrew, Liam (if he's back) and perhaps Elaje, (if he has continued to improve) all of whom will be trying quads, I'm sure. Add Nam into the fray for fourth. Wait till Roman gets his 3A! How wonderful to see the steps to the Canadian podium becoming crowded. I would make a little space for Peter O'Brian too if he gets his jumps.

RE. ISU posting vids, thanks Sylvia , I hope they do this year too. Didn't they live stream at one time? 2013-14 still reads TBA.

23. spikydurian

Glad to hear that Ten feels comfortable with his skating style. The beauty about this sport is that every skater brings their individual style to ice and there is no really what is right or wrong.

Impressed that he is studying and looks like he may be heading towards coaching or sports?

There seems to be a lack of ladies vid here so I have searched and found a few to post here. I am not posting Kaetlyn's vids here since she has her own thread.

Zoe Gong - Novice Champ 2013 - FS (I couldn't find her latest skate in Detroit).
    Julianne Sequin - Junior Champ at Skate Detroit - FS
    Gabrielle Dale SP at COS 2013
    Alaine Chartrad SP at COS 2013

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  24. Sylvia

Thanks! For those who may not know, there's an active Canadian ladies uber thread (that was started back in March 2013) and that's where much discussion, news/updates, and summer competition video links (Detroit, Quebec, Thornhill) have been/are being posted :): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...Cber-thread!&p=3968530&viewfull=1#post3968530
    (Nitpicky note: Julianne's last name is spelled Seguin, or Séguin, if you really want to be accurate! ;))

ETA:
    Where are you seeing the TBA? The ISU has never live streamed the JGP. There have been occasional free, live streams by host countries in the past (I recall Taiwan & Austria many years ago), and Lake Placid by IceNetwork for subscribers.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  25. spikydurian

^^ Thanks Sylvia. Is it possible to change this thread's heading to Canadian Singles - Men? When I opened this thread, I forgot that there's another thread on Canadian ladies. :)

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Proustable

Proustable New Member

The ISU does post youtube links for all the performances at the JGP though - they have for the past two years anyway. Maybe that's was Corianna's thinking of?

27. geoskate

Is Dennis Margalik planning to skate for another country? It's just surprising to me that he have not been given an assignment on the JGP, or at the very least an alternate spot. He was 2nd at Canadians in junior last season, and has met the Skate Canada JGP criteria twice this season (155.10 points at Skate Detroit, and 165.09 points at Thornhill). I know spots are limited this year, but he should be getting at least the alternate spots. He was given alternate spots last season, so his absence on the JGP lists this year is puzzling to me.

Any comments or explanations?

28. nadioso

nadioso Member

I noticed on the ISU site that Leslie IP now actually has the assignment for the 3rd in Slovakia which was originally given to Mitchell Gordon.

Does anyone know what injury problems Mitchell has. He did not show up at BC summerskate either.

The funny thing is that Margalik did beat Ip in Thornhill this summer. Ip did land a triple-triple combo in both programs and Margalik did not land any. Margalik's basic skating is better than Ip's though. So it seems that SC focuses on having a triple-triple for assignments.

29. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Does anyone know what the schedule of events will be for Canadian Nationals senior? The event this year looks to overlap quite a bit with US Nationals. The same weekend if I'm not mistaken. That would make for some challenging decisions for some coaches who have athletes competing at the events during this important season.

30. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, the senior events are before the novice/junior events this year (Jan 9-11 - Senior and Jan 12-15 - Novice & Junior).