Canadian Singles - Men & Women

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by spikydurian, Jul 7, 2013.

1. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

OK, I was looking for a thread to talk about other single skaters but could only find Canadian Pairs thread. So I am starting this thread to talk about Canadian singles - men and women.

Here's my first post. Found this vid on cutie patootie Nam Nguyen. He talked about having a lot of more to learn and the challenge of putting on two different mind sets - one at school and one during training. He's well spoken for a 15yo. Canada must be proud to have him as one of the upcoming skaters. He's a joy to watch and I am looking forward to seeing him grow.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  2. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

That's the first time I've heard him speak I think. What a sweetie. He seems so thoughtful, and gracious.

3. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Nam Guen skated at Fantasy on Ice in Fukuoka Japan today. I'm surprised to see his name on the list! It's a great experience for him to skate with Candeloro, Lambier, Jouber, Weir and many other top skaters in Japan. People tweeted he skated to MJ medley and his performance was good.:) Orser and Wilson coreographed some numbers for the show, Yuzuru and Javier skate at the show,too. It's like a little "Orser Camp in Japan", isn't it?

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  4. spikydurian

^^ Good to hear that. The show skating exposure is likely to give him more confidence and improve his presentation skills.
    Any news about Ten and Liam? And Gabriel Daleman ... ah... I remember her as a bundle of energy from WTT 2013.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. valyrian

valyrian New Member

According to his twitter Jeremy Ten is skating in California with Rafael Arutunian. I'm not sureif the move is permanent. I dearly hope it is.

6. rosewood

I read Sylvia's post in "Wagner picks Arutunian to join coaching team" thread. She wrote Arutunian will be coaching in Lake Arrowhead this summer and Jeremy Ten is spending some time training there, then Arutunian may be relocating to Toyota Sports Center this fall.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  7. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

I don't think Nam has any problem regarding confidence or presentation skills. Far from it! He just has to get his technical skills up to the same standard now that he is skating senior.

8. alilou

9. alilou

OMG so do I. Please let it be permanent.

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Count me in hoping that not only does Chen get far away from McLeod, but that he gets such a strong technical coach and training with a varied group of elite skaters.

11. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Oh, so that's maybe why he quit his retail job. I was wondering about that, since I saw that on his Twitter too, several weeks ago.

12. spikydurian

Do you mean Ten? For a moment, I thought you were referring to Nathan CHEN. :D

I am not implying that he has no confidence or presentation skills. Just looking at what he could gain out of show skating among other things.

13. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I suppose Nam Nguyen's team will want him to stay in the junior ranks for at least one more season and try to improve his result at Junior Worlds where he finished 12th last season. With Farris, Brown, Kovtun and Han Yan switching to the senior ranks, the door is left wide open for the younger juniors like Nam to move up the standings. Nam was announced by many as the next generation of figure skating champions alongside Shoma Uno, Nathan Chen and a couple of other kids, so I'll be following his progress over the years with a lot of interest and high expectation. He is in good hands with Orser and Tracy Wilson I think and him training at the same rink as Hanyu and Fernandez should be an inspiration.

As far as Nam's confidence goes, it will be best tested when he has titles to lose.;)

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

:coffee:

15. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Nam Nguyen will still have Nathan Chen to deal with, and in the future, Vincent Zhou. US Novice champion Tomoki Hiwatashi turned 13 in January, so he could put in an appearance in the JGP, too.

16. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

17. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Wait--Nam Nguyen will have competition? From other countries? From the US, specifically? Don't believe it.

18. rosewood

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  19. spikydurian

Aw.. he's sooo cute.:) I agree that he is in good hand and skating with elite skaters can only help. Looking forward to seeing him compete on the world stage too.

Rafael's a great coach. Ten will learn a lot from him.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  20. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

:lol:

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Ten just tweeted,

An amazing month with amazing people sharing many many laughs, adventures and memories. "This isn't goodbye."​

I am hoping he means that literally, but I suspect not.

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I believe Jeremy Ten has been spending several weeks at a time training in Lake Arrowhead this summer and his latest tweet could just mean he hopes to be back. Ten, Kevin Reynolds and Garrett Gosselin are among those registered for BC/YT SummerSkate in August (refer to the Canadian Summer Competitions thread in Kiss and Cry).

ETA that news about Kaetlyn Osmond usually is posted in her thread, such as this video interview with her and her costume designer: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...anada-s-hope&p=3953855&viewfull=1#post3953855
    (Ditto for Patrick Chan and his über thread.)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Garrett Gosselin :cheer2: No Liam Firus :wuzrobbed

ETA: Is Garrison Beacom Gary Beacom's son?

24. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

It's great to have all these young teens gearing up or 2018 or 2022. 2022 announcement is July 31st, right?

Smacks head. July 31st of 2015. Just a wee bit over-excited about coming attractions.

25. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to seeing Roman Sadovsky this year. :) He was really quite amazing in his JGP debut last season. Anyone know why he's skating in the senior men's event at Thornhill? He just turned 14 last month. Also pleased to see that Alexandra Najarro will be back. Her Black Swan program from the 2011 - 2012 season was a masterpiece IMHO. Pity that she never skated it to its full potential. It will be interesting to see if she can she compete with Gabby Daleman & Alaine Chartrand for one of the two Oly spots, or if she's missed her opportunity with the year off.

26. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Surge of talent in almost all disciplines. Crazy. I'm very concerned there is no discussion about Liam, especially when it comes to BC summer skate. Yikes. I soooooooo want him to get the 3rd Olympic spot although there are others I'd settle for.

27. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Thanks to UMBS go blue and pvkirby for pointing out that there are several Canadian entires at Glacier Falls in Anaheim, August 31-Sept 4.

Thread.

Most of the skaters are from B.C. Eileen Murphy/Keegan Murphy are bringing Larkyn Austman (junior champion), Mitchell Gordon (7th at Canadians) and Garrett Gosselin (10th at Canadians), among others. Joanne McLeod is also bring Anthony Chen (3rd in novice) and Nami Inoda, and Patricia Hole is bringing a skater from Sasikatchewan (Shelby Hall).

Was Garrett coached by the Murphy duo last season? That was news to me, if he was.

28. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Nope, he was training in Barrie last year. I wonder what prompted the move? Closer to home/less expensive maybe? Or possibly he just liked what the Murphy's were doing with their skaters.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

It's addressed in this new article by Beverley Smith on Roman Sadovsky who is competing at the senior level in Canada (Skate Detroit last month and COS Thornhill later this week) and is assigned to the first JGP in Riga, Latvia: http://skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/2796/language/en-US/Default.aspx

JGP assignments as published on the Skate Canada site: http://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/athletes/internationalassignments.aspx#jrgp

Senior B assignments also are published by Skate Canada at the link above:
    Andrei Rogozine and Amélie Lacoste (Salt Lake Senior B) and Jeremy Ten and Véronik Mallet (Nebelhorn). This is Mallet's first international assignment.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  30. spikydurian

I watched his vid, and I agree. His stretch and lines are great for his age. Ramon reminds me of little Patrick. :cool:

:cheer: Good news.