Canadian Pairs 2014/2015

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by skatingluver, Apr 19, 2014.

1. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

So. . . how about Yasmin Siraj for Rudi Swiegers? She's a lefty, she's tiny, she's very artistic. She'd need a release from USFS but that shouldn't be difficult.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Siraj is starting her freshman year at Harvard this fall.

3. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Oh, shucks. Retired, then, officially, or just most likely retired? I seem to remember she'd struggled with some injuries the last couple of years.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  5. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Swiegers and Bell?

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

7. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

I saw a picture on Facebook today of Matthew Penasse with Brittany Simpson in Colorado. Mind you, a picture of two people in a picture does not confirm a partnership but it does have me wondering! Does anyone have any info?

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I don't know anything (though Penasse is no longer listed on IPS, as was previously noted here), but I would be happy to see Britney Simpson skating pairs again! IF they are a new pair... Canada or USA?

ETA this 4/28 post:
    Killing is listed on IPS again.

ETA #2 - here's a clip of Simpson/Penasse's throw 3S posted on his Instagram last week: http://instagram.com/p/nzRJOPwn-D/
    Throw 3Lo: http://instagram.com/p/n1F9ZpQn5B/ (he also has a photo with Britney in Feb. 2014)

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  9. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

I've also since learned that Eric Thiessen has retired from competitive skating.

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

11. million$momma

million$momma New Member

Marinaro has been in KW this week, training with Moore-Towers.

12. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

No surprise, but what a shame. I'd far rather see him stay with Rachuk and Purkiss. Also feel very bad for Purdy. I'm hoping university is a happy experience for her. She was a lovely skater and I really felt that she and Marinaro did a good job their last year on the jgp circuit.

13. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Yes. This was Purdy/Marinaro's 2013 Junior Worlds silver medal winning performance (3rd in FS): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5AZFGO2W00

15. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

So I guess they're probably close to making an official announcement...?

16. fan

fan Well-Known Member

Count me as another that would like to see them with rackuck and purkiss

17. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

18. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Combination of the two. I'd say he's maybe 5'11 and she's close to 5'8 irl though their isu bio lists them as 5'11 1/2 and 5'5. I once heard a rumour that they had their skates modified to hide the lack of size difference but it came from Wirtz so who knows if it's true.

19. laser

laser New Member

She is definitely tall for a pair girl but certainly not 5'8. She is shorter than Purkiss who I would estimate to be about 5'7 at most so I think 5'5 or 5'6 is a truer height for Margaret. I think Marinaro is maybe 5'11 (no more than that though). They have often appeared to have less height difference when on the ice than when off the ice. I think that she has more extension in her back than he has when they skated so that may have accentuated the height difference, or lack of it! Also, how would Wirtz know about their skates??!! As you say, who know if that is true or not

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  20. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

Pretty sure that's true based on photos that i've seen/taken... you can tell by looking at the heels of the skates (Moir has lifts in his skate heels as well).

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  21. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

I'm basing my guess on having seen her in flats next to Marinaro at a WOS awards banquet. She was very close to his height. My eldest DD is 5'8 and I would put Purdy close to that. As for the skates, who knows? The skaters themselves may have said something to someone or perhaps Wirtz was able to recognize it as Daniskates93 said she can.

22. AKA

AKA Member

Are there any new teams this year? Novice/junior levels?

23. million$momma

million$momma New Member

I have heard that there are a few new novice/junior pairs out of the Champion's Training Centre where Varley/Eby and O'Brien/Knoblauch train.

24. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Out of ALL the new pairings I've read about thus far this *one* is the one that excites me thee most!!!:hat1:

Their tryout video hooked me; I watched it over & over again. They're peeerfect for each other, a real PAIR team in all the ways that count in the same way that G&G were. Jmho. :)

GOOOOOOOOOOOO BRITNEY & MATTHEW!!!!:kickass:

25. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

So the updated list for senior pairs in Canada for the 14/15 season are:

Duhamel & Radford
    Jones & Reagan
    Seguin & Bilodeau
    Grenier & Deschamps
    Iliusheckkina & Moscovitch (depending on Lubov's release)
    Moore-Towers & Marinaro
    Simpson & Penasse

Are Purich & Wolfe skating juniors or seniors? Anyone else?

Just trying to keep up as I'm 99% sure I'm making the trip up with a friend to Kingston for Canadians this year and just was curious how many pair teams will be taking the ice.

26. blademate

blademate Member

I don't think Simpson/Penasse have announced if they are skating for Canada or the US yet.

27. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Ok, so Simpson & Penasse then go on the "to be determined" list along with Castelli & Tran.

28. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere but the 2014 Nationals 6th place junior pair team of LeClaire/Mostert have split. As far as I know, neither are continuing in pairs.

29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

^^^ Sorry to hear it, as LeClaire/Mostert were one of the very few ISU Junior age-eligible pairs in Canada, IIRC. It's too bad they weren't able to experience at least one JGP together.

Are both planning to continue in singles?

30. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

Yes. Mostert is making the jump to Senior and LeClaire will compete Junior again.