Canadian Pairs 2014/2015

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by skatingluver, Apr 19, 2014.

1. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Not sure. Paige & Rudi were interviewed at Worlds by CBC's Scott Russell and didn't confirm their plans for next year. I assume they want to assess Paige's injury with her doctors this month and determine whether she's in good shape to continue next season.

There are 3 Pairs spots for next year, so whether they get one depends on whether both Kirsten & Dylan end up on the podium with their respective partners next year along with D&R. I guess there's a risk L&S could be pushed down to 4th depending on what happens.

2. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

With three spots at worlds, with all this turmoil I hope Skate Canada will assign all of the senior pairs team to an international to make sure we have enough teams with minimum TES.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Grenier tweeted on April 28:
    "Back in Mtl and we say #homesweethome ... I say stayin at the same place for 11 consecutive days, THAT was home !! #Berlin isu seminar <3"

The 2014 ISU Pair Skating Training Development Seminar was held in Berlin, Germany, April 18-26 and Bruno Marcotte was one of the moderators; Louis Stong was the Coordinator.

4. million$momma

million$momma New Member

Moore-Towers and Marinaro were on the ice together earlier today.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  5. laser

laser New Member

Interesting! Were they in KW?

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  6. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Interesting. I wonder if this partnership just came together recently after Worlds or whether it was something Kirsten put out feelers about earlier in the year?

According to a comment by the coach of P&M that Sylvia posted in the other M-T&M thread, Michael & Margaret were planning on continuing together as of a few weeks ago.

7. million$momma

million$momma New Member

No. They were in Komoka with Rachuk & Purkiss.

8. laser

laser New Member

Just posted this in the MT-M thread but thought I would re-post here

"yfgb722 may well be right and history is repeating itself. As Sylvia posted, P/M's coach (at the beginning of April) was quoted in the London paper saying that P/M would be getting ready for the next season after a 2 week break so I don't think they had split prior. People that I have asked have said that P/M were on the ice together up until a week and a half ago.

Maybe million$momma can confirm since she has been posting info about P/M and KMT in the Canadian Pairs thread."

Feeling bad for Dylan and for Margaret

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  9. The Observer

The Observer New Member

I noticed on Margaret's facebook page that she is/was on vacation in Barbados in recent weeks. She's posted some photos of herself there.

Perhaps the split happened while she was away and Kirsten approached Michael about the idea of partnering?

https://www.facebook.com/margaret.purdy.12

10. Daena

Daena New Member

Any news for Mervin Tran?

11. Lookin in

Lookin in New Member

KMT and Dylan split, KMT called Marinaro, Marinaro split with Purdy, Purdy went on a two week vacation to get her head around things (understandably devastated), KMT and Marinaro have been skating im Komoka for the past week or two.

12. The Observer

The Observer New Member

:(

13. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I am SUCH a huge Dylan fan. He's in great shape and can do anything on the ice.
    But on the flipside, Marinaro's a stud. He's like David Pelletier in 1998 who can do it all and was just WAITING for a partner.
    They both have great on ice personalities and it pains me to say that come nationals next year we will almost have forgotten Dylan...unless he finds a partner. They will be fresh and fun and will have an audience pretty quickly.

The question long term will be elements.
    Will they be able to push the envelope technically like D/R could? Wirtz can't teach high value lifts. Will they have any distinguishing sbs or throw jumps? We will need to know this year where their tech score will come from. They will be able to get PCS over time...

It's bittersweet but I'm excited. Should be a good time. Cut to me running around to even the little summer and fall comps...

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Except for L3 on a lift at GPF and FCCoSp33 at GPF and RC, MT/M got L4 on all of their lifts and spins this season. Their weaker elements, GOE and/or level-wise were the 3Tw (generally L2) and the DSs (generally L2-3). P/M got L3, with one L4, on the lifts they completed properly at SA and SC, which shouldn't be an issue given MT's height. They both bring high-level lift experience that should be transferable to a new partnership.

15. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Kirsten & Michael do have potential. Kirsten is very perky & energetic, and Michael has sometimes been compared to Craig Buntin in terms of looks & personality.

But even when you put two talented people together, it can take a while to get consistency in competition and recognition from the judges. And while a newly constituted team can begin to form its own fanbase, spectators sometimes maintain loyalty to the old team for a while and can take some time to win over.

It will be interesting to see whether Dylan is able to find a partner as well, and whether they end up competing against each other.

16. skatingluver

skatingluver New Member

Swiegers announced their split and his "taking a year off" today on facebook.

17. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I would like Radford to skate with Moore-Towers or with Lawrence. That would a lovely pair.

18. The Observer

The Observer New Member

19. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

So right now there are only two teams that skated in seniors in January still together:

Duhamel & Radford
    Jones & Reagan, and that's a maybe as we haven't heard if they are still together

Skate Canada has its work cut out to get the senior pairs program going again. The next few months will be interesting to see who pops up at the big summer comps and how they are looking.

20. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Paige posted a message on her Instagram today that sounds like a good-bye/thank-you:

http://instagram.com/paigehlawrence

21. sk8tingfan30

sk8tingfan30 New Member

KMT and Marinaro have had a series of tryouts, a couple of which were in Komoka. KMT has more tryouts lined up with different people. Tryouts will continue into the next few weeks. A decision will not be made for several weeks.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  22. skatingluver

skatingluver New Member

This is good to hear. I hope she gives Tran and Schultz a good tryout too. I know neither are as tall as Marinaro ( Schultz an inch shorter and Tran 2 inches shorter I believe) but they are both much smoother skaters and I think technically stronger. I really don't think all P/M issues were her size.

23. blademate

blademate Member

Precisely why KMT should skate with Marinaro, she is not really a balletic, smooth skater type herself ala Narumi Takahashi. And IMO Schultz does not have the presence, she would look like the pro dragging the newby around the ice.

I truly think KMT needs to go for a bigger guy, just like Savchenko. The main thing she was lacking with Moscovitch was "big" tricks like the Russians and Chinese. I don't think either Tran or Schultz would be an improvement in that department, so then why not just stick it out with Dylan?

For what it's worth, :sekret: say a tryout with Tran took place in Toronto.

24. skatingluver

skatingluver New Member

I don't think any of the available Cdn boys are an improvement over Moscovich to be honest. I guess all any of us can hope is that she pairs up with a partner who can get to his skill and performance level the quickest. I've always been told the older you get the harder it is to change your technique which is my concern about Marinaro. Anyway, I hope she ends up happy. I can't imagine any of these decisions have been easy for her to make.

25. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Interesting. The way things had been reported here so far, it sounded like the pairing with Marinaro was a done deal. Apparently that is not the case?

26. Lookin in

Lookin in New Member

Good to hear.

27. Catherine M

28. halffull

halffull The most wonderful time of the year :)

Sorry for her injury and his family loses. I look forward to what the new season brings for this perky team :)

29. Catherine M

So any updates on any new partnerships for Moore-Towers, Moscovitch, Tran, etc!!?

Its mid May so I'm guessing things need to be settled soon for the 14/15 season!

30. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member