Canadian Pairs 2014/2015

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by skatingluver, Apr 19, 2014.

1. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

Wouldn't be the first time.

2. The Observer

The Observer New Member

I'm the same. I don't believe it 100% until I hear the official confirmation. But IFS is usually a reputable source (provided they are getting their info from somewhere other than message boards).

Official press releases from skaters about new partnerships don't usually get announced this early. They usually come out at the time the new National team is announced. So we'll probably have to wait a couple weeks for official confirmation.

3. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

That IFS link is to their message board, so is no more reliable than what is posted here. In fact, it may be posted by the same people, or people who are spreading the rumor.
    I do not think this has been researched by IFS and passed along as confirmed news.

4. The Observer

The Observer New Member

No, I don't think it's been officially confirmed. They say that the info is based on various 'reports'. The same statement appears on the IFS Facebook.

I just checked with PJ Kwong and she says she hasn't heard anything official yet.

But as someone said above, M-T&M don't seem to be denying the reports so far.

5. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I know interviews during an Olympics are not indicative of much, but when M-T&M were interviewed on the CBC couch, they were *so* giddy. I'm really surprised by this news.

6. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Definitely didn't see it coming either. :eek: :(

7. The Observer

The Observer New Member

When someone does not deny reports of a split, it can often mean that the report is true.

As for the quote by Tran, I'm not 100% sure what it means, so maybe that explains why I only got a C in philosophy class.

8. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

Just an observation but 3 guys previously on ice partner search have removed their bios....Matthew Pennasse, Wesley Killing and Eric Thiessen. Any news on new partnerships?

9. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Good catch on that.

Hopefully they have found new partnerships and will be continuing on as there is a serious lack of depth in Canadian pairs right now.

10. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Oh wow, that's too bad if the rumors about MT/M are true. :(. I really liked them. How old is she? I didn't realize he was almost 30 so it's understandable if he doesn't have another four years in him. Better to do it early in the Olympic cycle I guess if she's aiming for 2018. Still a bummer though.

11. Catherine M

Kristen is just 21 so she could easily have two more cycles in her if she stays healthy and wants to go that long as an elite level skater.

12. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Wrong thread.

13. ChiquitaBanana

ChiquitaBanana Well-Known Member

I guess it means that when you know you won't be going anywhere with your partner (or that you know your partner will make a move), you may be the first one to call it split to get someone better for you... and then be pointed out as the one splitting the pair... The bad guy...

14. Castlerock

Castlerock Member

There is a post from Dylan on his and their Facebook pages that sounds a lot like a retirement speech: a lot of thank yous, talking about finishing the year on a high note, and thanking his family. Then he finishes with saying he cannot wait for the next step in this journey and to continue this amazing journey and sharing it with "you", which to me refers to family, not skating.

I liked this pair so am somewhat sad if they don't continue.

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Having followed Tran for a while, I wouldn't be surprised if this was literally a reaction to what he perceived as a rude driver. I've found general cultural difference based on geograph: in NY/NJ, for example, when there's a sign that says "left lane ends, merge," people drives to the front of the lane until it narrows and merge at that point, and anyone who tries to merge right art the sign and blocks the lane is :rolleyes:. In Seattle and Vancouver, people merge right where the sign is and think anyone who drives to the end of the lane is :EVILLE:.

Of course the tweet could be a metaphor about skating partnerships, but people will look at splits with the same diverse opinions as they do traffic etiquette, as we've seen early and often in this post-Sochi off season.

16. Catherine M

I first saw Dylan skate in junior mens at Canadians in 2004 (I think it 2004, could have been earlier) and have always enjoyed his skating. Hopefully this next phase of his life goes well and best of luck to him. I'm glad he got to out on a high note with an Olympic medal and a 2nd top 4 finish at worlds.

17. The Observer

The Observer New Member

As in they live in different cities right now?

Yes, I think Tran is still in Montreal (with Richard Gauthier?)

And Moore-Towers is presumably still in Toronto (with the Wirtzes).

If this is going to be a new partnership, one of them will obviously need to make the move to the other camp.

18. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

It's getting so I am almost afraid to check the latest entry in the Canadian Pairs and Dance threads for fear of reading about another split.

However.....

If the latest round of musical chairs ends up with Kristen Moore-Towers skating with Mervin Tran, I think I could accept that. There is a lot of potential there, no matter where they train (hoping for Gauthier camp).

We need to add teams by any method, not lose them because of retirements and injuries, not to mention all the negative ways a team can use to call it quits.

One thing is for sure, Canadian Nats 2015 will have a totally different look than in 2014. Wow, so many changes so far, and it's still only April.

19. The Observer

The Observer New Member

20. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

^^^ Nice to see they read FSU. ;)

21. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

The post was made right after he returned from Sochi. I`m told that he had no plans to retire. I don`t believe at all this post was intended as a retirement speech.

22. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I didn't interpret it as a retirement speech either. He also wrote a post in early April, in which he thanked a lot of people for helping him have such a great season and then said he couldn't wait to continue the journey.

He had this on his Twitter after they skated at Worlds. https://twitter.com/SportsWkndScott/status/449044444197568512

I'm quite surprised to hear of this split considering Worlds was just a month ago (and MT/M have been doing some shows and appearances since then), and they've mentioned multiple times throughout the season that they were continuing. I know people's minds can change especially once the Olympic celebration and hoopla dies down, but this still seems pretty sudden. And I can't really picture Kirsten dumping him in an effort to move on quickly with another partner, but I guess stranger things have happened.

23. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Yes, because of the available Canadian guys, the only one at Kirsten's level would be Mervin Tran, a former World bronze medalist. Michael Marinaro and Joshua Reagan are nowhere near that level yet. So there wouldn't be much motivation to want one of them instead of Dylan.

24. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

I really can't picture M-T and Tran together. Their styles are so different.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

The same can be said for Duhamel and Radford but they've made it work.

I still refuse to believe this rumour.

26. kdpair

kdpair New Member

Dylan has not retired !!!!!

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  27. kdpair

kdpair New Member

Duplicate

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  28. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Without any first-hand information or direct quotes from either the skaters or their coaches to date, I think it would be best not to make too many assumptions, or speculate too wildly, about present/potential partnerships right now. It may be "entertainment" for us fans, but it's the skaters' lives and careers.

29. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

Thank you Sylvia. I couldn't agree more.

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

From his Twitter person, I have a hard time imagining Tran allowing Moore-Towers anywhere near him with the bedazzler gun.