Canadian Pairs 2014/2015

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by skatingluver, Apr 19, 2014.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Ashley Cain is over 5'6" (168cm) according to her ISU bio. She switched to singles after she grew. Reagan became injured early during the season that he and Yankowskas teamed; I'm not sure how long it took him to recover.

Becky Bereswill is a singles skater who decided to return to Pairs. She's also listed at 168cm. She's gone back and forth with Pairs. I don't follow US qualifying and don't know if she competed at all this season. She was 16th at US Nats in 2013, a few months before she teamed up with Reagan, according to his Wikipedia article, but her's isn't up-to-date and still lists Reagan as her current partner.

Reagan's ISU bio (with Cain) lists his birthday as November 5, 1989; he'll be turning 25 in the fall.

2. The Observer

The Observer New Member

When did Reagan switch to representing Canada? It appears to have been less than a year ago. But perhaps he could start representing Canada internationally as early as later this year depending on the dates.

According to others who are knowledgable on the topic of releases, the USFS can sometimes make even lower-level skaters wait several years before being released, and other times may do so more quickly. Piper Gilles had to wait a year before representing Canada internationally, but had been off the previous year without a partner, so apparently that meant she was out 2 years by the time she was released.

And presumably Reagan will try to use the same Citizenship process that Gilles and Kaitlyn Weaver both used so that he can get citizenship before the next Olympics.

3. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Well, according to his bio above, Reagan is from Texas, so I suppose that explains the Southern accent.

We don't know yet whether Reagan will team up with Moore-Towers. It seems to me that she would be better off with a stronger skater like Marinaro. Afterall, if she and Reagan are a couple, it may not last anyway, so I don't think that would be the main criterion for skating together. Someone at her level needs a solid partner.

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

As far as I know, he's only competed at Canadian competitions, not internationally. IIRC, he and Jones only teamed up last Fall and had only been together a few months by Can Nats. AFAIK, no info about whether he''s been released...

After Torino, the exact criteria was leaked, but allegedly the release criteria has changed at least once since then. At the time, anyone who didn't have specific criteria was given an immediate release, and anyone who did could be held up to four seasons.

Piper Gilles was held for two seasons, which was longer than two years.

Assuming he lives and trains in Canada, if he has or could get Permanent Residency status in the self-employed entrepreneur class (which is for world-class artists and sports people) in the next year, unlike Gilles and Weaver, he'd have the residency requirements by then, but he's still likely need expedited processing (currently at 24 months).

That doesn't explain the ignorant characterization and assumptions about it, eh?

5. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Well that would be another surprising aspect to Kirsten & Dylan deciding to move on so soon after Sochi & the Worlds - they have developed a fanbase who like to see them together and they haven't yet had much opportunity to do shows, tours, etc. You would think they might want to experience the chance to do that for a year or two.

6. The Observer

The Observer New Member

And she was a skater who had only competed at the Junior level up till then.

Gilles & Weaver didn't have residency status at the time they applied for citizenship?

Anyway, I also read that the Canadian Government is considering changing some of its citizenship requirements and may toughen them up, so perhaps he will face a longer wait than Gilles & Weaver.

Oh, I see what you mean above. I agree that Nrdc shouldn't joke about his accent sounding like someone with a concussion.

7. shah

shah Shhh...

I refuse to believe KMT/DM split :fragile::wuzrobbed

8. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

This.

9. insideedgeua

insideedgeua Member

Just a minor point but Ashley didn't switch to singles because she grew. Ashley was already competing in both singles and pair and she was already quite tall.

When she and Josh split she did not see it coming at all. She was completely shocked at the time.

Now, height may have been something that Josh was worried about, but up until that point they had been reasonably successful.

Ashley also continued to search for another partner because she wanted to continue pair. Happily for her, she's been very successful in singles too.

I only add this because I think it gives another insight into Josh's many partner changes.

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Doubtful they are related since Drew Wolfe is from Calgary. He's about 2 weeks older than Purich. I posted this Calgary Herald article from before 2013 Canadians earlier in this thread: http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/sports/story.html?id=a86ecf80-adc4-457f-b489-097126c791e1

Drew Wolfe's competitive record through 2013 Canadians (he was 7th in Junior Men at 2014 Canadians and once competed in Novice Dance): http://www.tracings.net/wolf-drew.html

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  11. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

How many times have we heard that from skaters before they broke up?

He is getting up there in age. Maybe he feels he's accomplished enough and doesn't want to put in four more years. She on the other hand is really young, so if he retires she can move on guilt free.

What makes you think anything "went wrong" other than the reality of the off season after the Olympics?

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

She was a three-time JGP medallist with Zach Donohue. Junior results are considered grounds for a hold. (At least by the old rules, coming in 4th was an advantage for switching to another country.) Medalling meant being subject to the control of USFS, which was especially bitter for juniors, who would have received an even lower financial investment in them from USFS.

They had residency (PR) status: they didn't have enough time residing in Canada after getting PR status to meet the citizenship residency requirements in time to get passports for the Olympics. It's possible for Reagan to get permanent residency status within the next year if he doesn't already have it, if the visa offices have recovered from last year's strike, in time to meet the current days-resident (three out of four years) requirement for citizenship, but not enough time for standard processing after he meets the requirements and submits the application, which, according to the CIC site, is 24 months for a standard application.

The proposed changes -- ridiculous and counter-productive, since they target people with substantial ties to Canada, and in the case of students, have paid $$$$ to Canadian educational institutions -- would remove the up-to-one-year credit towards those physical residency requirements for citizenship for being in Canada under a student or temporary work permit, and up the physical residency requirements to four years instead of three. If he already had PR status, he'd meet the new requirements, but not have enough time to process the application, even with their promises to bring processing down to a year or less by 2016. If he doesn't, then he'd be in the exact position that Gilles and Weaver, plus under the new law, if passed -- it was tabled in winter, but seems to be on the front burner again -- the minister in charge of immigration will be granted the power to decide on his own whether to grant (or revoke) citizenship, instead of going through the legislative process the way Weaver and Gilles had to.

The catch is that, according to the original proposal, under anti-terrorist rhetoric, they are creating a two-tiered system for citizenship: those who are naturalized will sign the revised citizenship oath oath to say they plan to live in Canada indefinitely, and if they don't, can have citizenship revoked and be subject to fraud charges, while those born Canadian citizens can live wherever they want. It will be interesting to see if that passes judicial review if passed, or whether Reagan will be willing to risk it if it's passed and upheld. Weaver and Gilles didn't have to make any such promise.

He hasn't been with a partner long enough yet to know if this will be moot.

I apologize. I did not type exactly what I was thinking, which was that she she switched to skating singles *only* now, because she grew. (Not necessarily by choice -- there are few Pairs woman who are that tall.)

So have Purdy/Marinaro. That doesn't mean it can't catch up or become a limiting factor over time, especially in the transition from junior- to senior-level expectations.

It could well be, but he as with Cain for three years before he teamed up with Yankowskas: he wasn't partner-hopping until then. I hardly fault him for a chance to compete with a Worlds seeded skater. If he fulfilled his contract through the season, he was free to move on. That partnership was doomed with his injury, although many who saw Y/R at the time didn't expect it to last, anyway, since there was talk that they were dating. (If she did end it due to his injury, it didn't help her in the long run, since she didn't get a new partner until this year.) It's the switches after Yankowskas that could be more of a concern; I don't know any of the details of those splits.

13. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Reagan's Canadian citizenship situation and USFS release issues are the same, whether with MT or Jones, so I am sure the Wirtz camp has looked into this in detail either way. I would think it is likely he is released, per USFS policy, for the upcoming season based on when his last Sr Intl was. Citizenship - well, that's always a risky move. Still waiting to see if this is really true...

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Actually, Reagan's Canadian citizenship prospects may have increased dramatically, since MT is already an Olympian and has earned a seed with Moscovitch twice. There has to be great promise and results to get considered for an exception under the current process, although be careful what you wish for: neither Gilles nor Weaver made the Olympic team right after they got expedited citizenship. Jones and Reagan looked good together, especially given how short a time they'd been together, but there are some new young teams that looked competitive and promising.

With the rules in flux, a chunk of their research will not apply. Precedent may be meaningless if it's up to a single minister, and that could go either way.

15. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

"May have," depending on the rules etc. - I meant that the Facts vis-a-vis his situation are the same either way. The same research applies, and all involved would already have an in-depth understanding of the options & potential law changes because they would have already looked into it for Jones. It would be quite early for any real evaluation of an exception based on 1 person's prior results. Still, until there is an announcement...it may not even be true.

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The changes to the citizenship Act were announced in February 2014, months after Jones and Reagan paired up.

17. The Observer

The Observer New Member

It's sounds as if you know Immigration Law well. Impressive. :)

I know that both Weaver & Gilles faced criticism from some Canadian skating fans and members of the public who felt they should have to wait longer before becoming Canadian and getting citizenship, etc. People become more comfortable with the idea the longer an athlete represents a country and the more committed they seem to the country over time. Both of these American gals have also gone up in the World standings and have now justified the citizenship exemption by showing strong ability on behalf of the country.

As you stated above, there are now some new citizenship rules being proposed, and since Reagan hasn't been in a committed partnership yet or become a national medalist like Weaver & Gilles, there might be less incentive to fast-track his application. However, if he were to pair up with a major Canadian medalist like Moore-Towers, that could enhance his value to Canada and his chances for citizenship.

18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I went through the Skilled worker PR track and have a citizenship application in process, so I try to keep up as much as possible out of self-interest.

They don't make exceptions more than a year out of the Olympic trials, so the ministry have plenty of time to judge Reagan and partner's competitive strength before making a decision. It's not like they'll be making any decision in the short term.

19. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Ashley didn't switch to singles. She was skating pairs and singles all along, and was winning medals in both disciplines. She was very disappointed when Josh ended the partnership as she wanted to continue skating both. His argument was that he wanted her to commit to just pairs, but she wanted to continue to skate singles, too.

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?36473-Reputation-FAQ
    FWIW, Joshua Reagan last competed internationally for the USA with Ashley Cain at 2011 Rostelecom Cup (Nov. 26).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  21. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Particularly since we don't know yet whether Jones & Reagan are still together, or whether Moore-Towers & Reagan are now a team.

22. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

Yeah, probably not gonna happen.

23. fan

fan Well-Known Member

The split, or confirmation of ridiculous rumours by people who have not posted sources?

24. The Observer

The Observer New Member

25. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Wow at M-T/M splitting, if true. :eek:

26. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

The conformation of rumours :) I'm not sure I'm going to believe much about any new partnerships until it comes from a press release or the mouths of the athletes themselves. :)

27. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

I hope they aren't just rehashing what they read here.

28. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

They are reporting a rumor. I'll wait for a press release if there is one.

29. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

I'm shocked, did not expect this at all.

And what's this about Tran/Donlan. Has there been a tryout.

30. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Exactly!