Canadian Pairs 2014/2015

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by skatingluver, Apr 19, 2014.

1. The Observer

The Observer New Member

If that turns out to be the team, it's going to confuse some of the judges, and perhaps Rod Black, as well. ;)

A lot of swapped names to get used to!

2. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

Well, from what I've heard (nothing official), but KMT is with Joshua Reagan, and I don't know about Dylan, but i suspect it has more to do with age and injuries after so many years in the sport that he's done.

3. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

This doesn't seem possible. Moore Towers and Moscovitch seemed so committed to continuing.

4. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Ok, so there could be the following new pair teams for Canada next season:

Moore-Towers/Marinaro
    or
    Moore-Towers/Reagan
    Purich/Wolfe
    Donlan/Tran

Any others?

5. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Is this the same Drew Wolfe who used to do dance?

6. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Kirsten Moore-Towers could technically do two more Olympics if she wanted to. It'll be interesting to see who she ends up with.

Does Donlan have any triple jumps?

7. The Observer

The Observer New Member

That's what I said above. We had heard they were very committed to coming back next season.

But we do know from past experience that skaters change their minds. We've had far more surprising splits/retirements in the past. We'll have to wait and see whether this turns out to be true.

8. The Observer

The Observer New Member

And any relation to former pairs skater Sebastien Wolfe? Brother/cousin?

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Apparently, yes - Calgary Herald article from before 2013 Canadians: http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/sports/story.html?id=a86ecf80-adc4-457f-b489-097126c791e1

ETA that Gretchen Donlan is in college at Boston University - the following article/video was published before her split from Andrew Speroff was known: http://www.bu.edu/today/2014/gretchen-donlan-figure-skating-and-premed/
    Donlan last competed internationally at Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria (November 23, 2013).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  10. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

:watch::watch::watch:

Holy triple twists, Batman!

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  11. quartz

quartz turn around turn around it's on the other side

Gaaaahhhhh......this off season is killing me. :drama::eek:
    Although I do understand that Dylan is getting up there age-wise, they are so close to making that world podium, you would think he might try for one more season and try to go out with a world medal.
    If these rumours are true, I will really miss them. :(

12. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Yes, if anything, the Olympics seemed to further fuel their desire, and they both seemed to be enjoying the whole process of skating/competing and all the little perks that came with being an Olympic athlete. And they were knocking on the door of a World medal (and seemed determined to regain their national title). If this rumor is true, it would be a rather sudden change of heart from the comments they were making recently.

The only thing I can think of is that Moscovitch is in a relationship with a girl who I don't believe lives all that close to where MT&M train. Perhaps the relationship is getting more serious and he desires to spend more time with her (ie. live closer to her or with her in a place that isn't where he trains). But it seems Dylan has generally always enjoyed juggling the different aspects of his life simultaneously. This rumored split doesn't make sense based on what we have heard publicly. Dylan had talked before and after the Olympics about wanting to continue, and he mentioned how after several years together, he and Kirsten were now starting to make their mark.

And not that public quotes mean much (especially if one partner decides to quit), but it's interesting to note that Kirsten said this right before the Olympics... “Dylan and I have a very special relationship. It’s rare in pairs and dance to have the relationship we have...We have gotten used to doing this together and I can say I wouldn’t want to do it with anyone else.”

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  13. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Exactly. They finished as the top Canadian pair at the Olympics, and were just off the podium at Worlds (3rd in the LP).

Btw, Dylan was just in Toronto last week as a parade marshall.

14. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I interesting quote coming from someone who, as far as I know, has only ever had one pairs or dance partner. How would she know what other relationships are like? You really never know what is going on unless you are actually part of the relationship. I guess she was very young at the time. Perhaps age and experience have shown her differently.

15. fan

fan Well-Known Member

Kmt previously skated with Andrew Evans

16. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

Dylan is one of the strongest pairs men out there - he really makes that team ...... But he has a national title and Olympic medal ...... So if it true he's had a good career - but I am hoping it's not true !!!!!

17. stjeaskategym

If this is true, I really do wonder what went wrong so fast. Multiple times leading up to and after the Olympics they have mentioned continuing. It didn't even appear to be much of a question for them.

From February: "Moscovitch said he asked his partner about South Korea two days after arriving in Sochi.

'We love the Olympics, we love skating, we love training and we love our lives," said the 29-year-old. "I don't think that we've maxed out. I think we're just starting to hit stride and I'm really excited to see what more we're capable of.'"

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  18. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

I think Kirsten would be a great match for Mervin Tran.

(if he could match her technical abilities)

:EVILLE:

19. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

I thnk this could work. They're both good skaters, the training base should bring out the best in both of them, a year in juniors would give him time to finetune the pairs skills, and Canada certainly needs pair teams that are eligible for the JGP.

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Unfortunately, they can't train together over Skype.

21. stjeaskategym

I don't know anything about Wolfe (is he related to Sebastien?), but I think a year in juniors could be good for Purich as well. Isn't she too old by now though?

ETA: I looked up her birthdate, and yes, Purich will be 19 before July 1st, so she's aged out of the JGP.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  22. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Someone above said Kirsten is apparently thinking of skating with Michael Marinaro.

Since Kirsten is not even 5 feet tall, she would be a half foot shorter than Margaret Purdy and would be a lot easier for Michael to handle. ;)

23. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I was looking at Kirsten's facebook this afternoon after seeing this thread, and someone had posted "Say it isn't so Kirsten!" but then it was deleted a few hours later. :(

24. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Well, I prefer free discussion of skating topics on Facebook so I wish threads wouldn't get deleted, but I can kind of understand that it might be a subject Kirsten wants to wait and address officially at some point in May or June when the new National Team is selected for next year and we find out which partnerships are actually going ahead.

25. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

I think Kirsten has every right to have some say in what gets discussed on her technically personal Facebook, even if she's been accepting fans on it for years as well.

Not remotely pleased with this potential news. :(

26. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

Now that Russian dance partner shuffle has quieted down, it's Canadian pairs turn...

27. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

I am so disappointed, they were so close to medalling for a couple of years at Worlds and their programmes were so charming. I have to be honest that the main reason I love the team is for Kirsten, but I do love their lifts and obviously Dylan's strength plays a huge part in those!

28. The Observer

The Observer New Member

I have no idea who her boyfriend is.

Is Reagan the American guy who just started representing Canada last year?

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Reagan was Yankowskas' first partner after Coughlin. There was a clip of them skating in a mall together, and they even had GP assignments under the "split couple" rule (based on her 6th with Coughlin at Worlds.) Luckily, they withdrew before using them, and he has been out of international competition long enough. I'm assuming USFS has either released him or like Piper Gilles, they've told him when his release will be.

Jones and Reagan weren't bad at Canadian Nationals, considering they'd been together for a very, very short time.

30. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Joshua Reagan seems to go through partners very quickly. He's been with about 4 different girls, some partnerships lasting only about a year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Reagan