Canadian Pairs 2013/2014 - News and updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Cant Skate, Jan 31, 2013.

1. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

2. halffull

halffull The most wonderful time of the year :)

I hope someone tells Natasha to throw out her gum next time. ;)

3. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Does anyone have a video link for Mt/M's short yesterday at slc? I tried YouTube, but didn't find anything. Thanks!

4. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

The new team of Tara Hancherow/Wesley Killing skated their short program at the JGP in Slovakia, and got a very respectable debut score of 46.96. That's despite a complete miss on the double axel. I suspect that jumps will be this team's weakness for a while, but their pair elements were strong for a new team. Link to their program is here. It's interesting that former French pairs skater Maximin Coia is one of their coaches, along with Annie Barabe. I had no idea he was coaching.

5. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Was so impressed by the auro of pure confidence that MT/M had during the Free skate especially at SLC Competition. The short dance is obviously familiar, and they skated it with calm. I hope to see more calm and rhythmic nuance. The presentation still comes across as a bit "the same" throughout and to me, this risks being a bit boring. Even if a program is subtle, it needs a bit of shape or emotional arc - you know, beginning, middle, end - sort of thing.

The Free skate is powerful, powerful, powerful. They seem to be in full control throughout, even with the moderate altitude. Great start of the true international season for them.

6. geoskate

Hancherow/Killing's long program at the JGP in Slovakia was also quite strong for a new team. Link to their program is here. Their long program score was 76.51, with a total combined score of 123.47. As with the short program, their weakness was the jumps. The pair elements were good, especially for a new team, although some of the pair elements (such as the pairs spin) showed their lack of time together.

AFAIK, Tara Hancherow has not been skating pairs for more than two seasons, which makes her strength on the pair elements an achievement. I think her last pair partnership was with Sebastian Wolfe. They placed 2nd in juniors at the 2011 Canadians. It's nice to see her back.

They are also assigned to the JGP in Talinn, Estonia, in October, and their skating here justifies the second assignment, IMO.

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I love Hancherow's knee-bend, and her posture is lovely. She was very strong in the first lift and had wonderful positions in the second.

8. geoskate

Yes, I was surprised at how good their lifts were, considering that they are a new team and she has been out of pairs (AFAIK) for two seasons. For a junior level team, their lifts are very strong.

9. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I really liked Hancherow and Killing and agree that their lifts and throws were very good, and she has a lovely sense of style. The problems with the jumps are a little concerning, but it seemed like they were actually capable of doings the jumps and had decent technique, it just happened that one or the other missed them in competition...but Wesley's double axel in the short was very well done, and Tara's salchow in the free was stood up and only partially underrotated. I hadn't realized that she is nearly 18, so she's unlikely to grow more, which is good.

10. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Does anyone have a link to MT/M FP?

11. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  12. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Thanks Daniskates93. Pretty darn good for this time of the year. IMO this is a team that has evolved beautifully and I can see them wearing medals in the near future.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Fort

Fort New Member

14. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I'm honestly not too impressed. I expected them to have some great choreography and elements. Not only do they repeat two lifts in the same program but they have done it for years - and it's not even that impressive of a lift. Maybe my expectations were too high. The jumps and throws were good but the rest was pretty boring.

15. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This is an Olympic year, not really a year to learn new things. MT/M don't need new lifts right now. Lifting is a big strength of theirs, they do things that other teams cannot do, and they regularly score high on them. They learned a new position for their final lift last year, and I'm guessing they will have it back in for the Grand Prix? Overall, I like this free skate for them. The camera angle wasn't good for it, but that transition into the throw 3 sal is quite eye-catching and beautiful in their video from Skate Detroit.

This team has made huge strides since 2010 and I think they're exciting. I don't know if I would call them consistent yet, but boy are they athletically gifted and make highly technically demanding programs look easy sometimes.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  16. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

17. Proustable

Proustable New Member

julieann, why were your expectations so high? I mean, I enjoyed their LP last season, but it wasn't that greatly choreographed - the elements were well spaced (important to note) and the music was powerful so that it had that gorgeous climactic crescendo. This LP seems to be a bit more subtle and character oriented, and I don't know if they can pull it off. But I love how the first lift matches the music. I'm just delighted they look so strong now. They looked this strong at the beginning of last season and we know they ended that season quite well. And I'm still floored at how much they've improved.

I did think that transition into that throw Salchow was crazy hard and quite beautiful.

18. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I agree with you about their improvement.
    When they came onto the skating scene and wowed us all they were still diamonds in the rough. Now they are pure diamonds.
    Its great we have two pairs teams that are so very different. I think this program could mesmerize as it grows.

I love their signature lift and its a great feat as well.

Kirsten is looking lovely and so well trained.
    I am looking and hoping for them to medal on the world stage if not this year then maybe next year.

19. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Totally agree with all of this. I love the emotion in their skating, combined with the power. They'll be world medallists sometime soon.

20. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

With last year’s free skate, the music allowed their program to have peaks and valleys to make it interesting and hold your attention. The music this season has none of that so the program seems to slog along and get boring half way through. They have great speed, jumps and throws but the spins are way too fast and not only do they get off unison but the positions are ugly in particular in the leg hold. The death spiral needs major work and doing two of the same lifts in one program (especially one they’ve used previously) seems juniorish. One lift he picks her up and with her in the same position lugs her around the ice, rounds the corner only to have both of them hit poses. Her leg bends and his leg come off the ice, it’s labored and awkward. They have a 1/5 chance of a bronze medal, I just hope they bring the emotion as the season progresses. D/R have a much better program at this point.

They looked strong at the beginning of last season because their season before ended in January with a 4th place at Nationals so they had more time to concentrate on the next season.

I understand not a lot of chances will be taken in an Olympic year and most will pay it safe, but to get ahead you have to take chances. That is why I think they may have a hard time beating D/R and certainly won’t get any higher placement unless a team has an epic fail or most top teams retire.

Also, I have never seen a team come off a top 8 or 10 at worlds and look bad 3 months later unless they are injured. Getting used to choreography takes some time, timing and unison and such but the rest will still be there.

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

V/T haven't taken chances. T/M took their biggest chance with "Cotton Club," and lost any chance of a WC title in 2003 due to the loss of speed to perform the intricate program. After that, their free skates were formulaic, but ones they could perform consistently and with speed. (From 2003 I loved them and could watch them skate in unison forever, so the content didn't bother me.) B/L haven't taken chances, Pang/Tong were never ground-breaking, and for that matter, neither were the Zhangs or Shen/Zhao.

Among the competitive current Pairs, I think only S/S, K/S, and D/R have taken many chances.

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Its best that they dont peak too soon and slowly grow into their programs so they peak best at Nats and Olys.

23. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Thanks so much for the link.

Their technical elements are amazingly strong for this time of year and I love that they're consistently successful with their jumps and throws. I think it's a wise choice for them to go for a mood piece similar to last year because the judges really liked that. I noticed a bit of a disconnect between the music and the choreography, but I fully expect expression and interpretation to be there by Canadians. Regarding lifts, don't all teams stick with their signature lifts - usually what's successful? I'm not crazy about the death spiral - Duhamel does the same one and it's equally ugly, but I'm guessing it gets them points.

24. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

Any reports on the pairs entered in the Isabelle Henderson competition this weekend?

25. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

I only know novice results. 1st Wong/Su
    2nd Eby/Varley
    3rd Glenn/Stock

No idea about scores, just saw a podium shot.

26. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Skating Lesson interview with Kirsten Moore-Towers and Dylan Moscovitch

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Caitlin Fields/Sebastian Arcieri are no longer listed for the Ostrava JGP and won't be replaced.

28. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

:( Any idea why? I hope not injury. Canada sure left a lot of entries in JGP Jr pairs on the table this year!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  29. geoskate

Videos of Purich/Tran from Nebelhorn:

Short program
    Long program

The programs are enjoyable, if you ignore the negative commentary of the Eurosport commentator during the long program. IMO they did reasonably well for the length of time they've been skating together. It seems as if the commentator was expecting instant success.

They've clearly done more work on the short program to date than on the long program (and had also shown shown the short program in competition, at the Quebec Summer Championships). The long program still requires work, but they have time. This was the first time they had skated the long program in competition. They will be skating it again at the Souvenir Georges-Ethier competition next weekend.

Their short program score was 56.71, and their long program score was 99.44, for a total of 156.15 and 6th place. That is within two points of Lawrence/Swiegers at the Salt Lake City competition, so it looks as if there is potentially the making of a good rivalry at Canadians for the third Olympic spot (not forgetting Purdy/Marinaro also, of course).

Their whole commentary is rather strange at the beginning of the short program. Why wouldn't Mervin compete for Canada, since he is Canadian? The somewhat unusual part was competing for Japan.

30. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Wouldn't it be nice if a pair or dance team could each represent the actual country they are from? Mervin and Narumi were so beautiful together, so it really is a shame that citizenship issues caused the demise of the team. I haven't listened to the commentary but I would guess that most people are just mourning the loss of this gorgeous team.