Canadian Pairs 2013/2014 - News and updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Cant Skate, Jan 31, 2013.

1. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

Wow I love that LP from Duhamel/Radford!! I can't wait to see how it develops throughout the season and really hope they bring it in Sochi.
    spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  2. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I'm very impressed with the height they've developed in the triple twist. That's such a key element. I don't like their music choice but they always pick something I don't like and it hasn't hurt them so far :) I would like to see what another choreographer could do to eliminate those bent leg positions that Megan (and Eric in a few elements) has in spins and lifts and spirals. They do nothing to help her achieve the long line she needs.
  3. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Accent: Meagan Duhamel skating outside the box

Programs like this give me hope that brilliance and originality in pair skating is still possible under COP. Really looking forward to seeing it live at Skate Canada. :)
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  4. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

That''s a terrific article, and I hope all their Olympic dreams come true. They are standing on the threshold of achieving what they want. I can't wait to see their programs again.
  5. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Really, really like it, I wonder, however, if those are their final costumes. Something a little bit more Mad Hatterish would be appropriate. :p
  6. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Tweeted back on Oct. 1 (quite a photo!):
    2014 CANFund calendars are now available for purchase here: http://www.canadianathletesnow.ca/can-fund-news/the-peak-moment-calendar.html

Both of Canada's top pairs were 2012-2013 Winter Athlete Recipients of the Canadian Athletes Now Fund: http://www.canadianathletesnow.ca/h...lass/2012/13-winter-athlete-recipients-1.html
    FAQ: http://www.canadianathletesnow.ca/about-us/faq.html

Duhamel's profile: http://www.canadianathletesnow.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=875&Itemid=119
    Radford's profile: http://www.canadianathletesnow.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=885&Itemid=119
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  7. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Moore-Towers/Moscovitch, who established a new personal best in the short program at Skate America. Their score of 71.51 beats anything they have done either nationally or internationally to date.

On the other hand, Purdy/Marinaro did not have their best skate, with problems on the throw, twist and jumps. They're probably one of the teams in the running for the third Olympic spot, but they will need a much better short program than this to secure the spot.
  8. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

I missed their skate, but this was their first competition of the season I think, and Margaret is coming off an injury (shoulder I think) so hopefully things will get better. The race for that third spot is going to be close. Purich/Tran haven't lived up to expectation. I haven't seen Lawrence/Sweigers yet this season but I'm hoping they make a good run for it too. I really like those two.
  9. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yes...great skate from MT/M. And I would also like to see Lawrence/Sweigers get that 3rd spot. As much as I like the new team of Purich/Tran and believe in their potential in the coming years, I really would like L/S have a terrific year and get to go to the OG's...
  10. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

It's like MT/M are now expected to just skate cleanly every time they go out. It's like they could do their programs with their eyes closed. The tiny thing I would have wished for them was that they take the approach D/R do which is to find every point and half point they could to optimize their podium chances. Wonder if they tried 3/3 as a combo instead of sequence (much harder I know...) or did they try to learn harder lifts. Need to go hand to hand to get 7 base value.

My heart is still with L/S to go to Sochi. They rode the bench for so long and seem like awesome people. P/T don't have any chemistry yet and honestly don't look all that great together. They have been downgrading their elements as the season goes to build consistency.
    Michael is my hero for doing so well in the pair moves with a partner so close in size to him. I just have a hunch Purdy retires after this year; I say this like once a month but if we can get Purich and Marinaro together they will be THE next team. Nevertheless I hope he and Margaret have a good season.
  11. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

I would also love to see L/S get that 3rd spot..but I would also just love to see them at 100%, injury free & putting down a clean skate. They seem to always have the obstacle of injury or lack of consistency on the solo jumps. Two of their long programs have been my favs..the Dracula one & War Horse. Loved them & can't wait to see what they have this year.
  12. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Moore-Towers/Moscovitch are scary good right now. Wow. They have really made a statement that they are gunning for a National title and international podiums. Goodness, if S/S and V/T retire/skip Worlds, we could see them (or D/R if they skate well) top the podium.

Missing Worlds 2012 was probably the single best thing to happen to them, career-wise (that and Mark Pillay).
    clarie and (deleted member) like this.
  13. geoskate

Their long program from Skate America is now posted on Youtube (without commentary, too!). Their comments in the Kiss and Cry are interesting, as they start analyzing what happened on the side-by-side spins.

Despite the great marks, I think this is a program that will still grow, unlike the short program which is pretty much fully formed already.
  14. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

15. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

The scores for MT/M in Detroit show that that the international judges see them as elite among pairs and medal contenders. Their LP PCS score is over 3.5 pts more than what they got in front of the home crowd at worlds last year. 8.18 to 8.57 was the range. That's big time. So we have V/T winning gold (unless they fall 5 times) and wow it's wide open right after that. I LOVES me a good pairs comp!
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Re: Duhamel/Radford's FS

This is why Julie Marcotte is by far the best pairs choreographer working at the moment. I can't wait to see how that program will develop over the course of the season.

Purich/Tran will probably beat them quite easily at Nationals. Purdy/Marinaro were great at 2013 Junior Worlds but given how close they are in size, there's only as much as they can achieve within those limitations, sadly. I can't see them ever getting a clean triple twist and the lifts will probably also always look a little laboured. Sorry to say that but I think that Marinaro should look for another partner.
  17. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Perhaps he'll Marinaro will skate with Kirsten when Dillon retires. ;). I read somewhere that they are a couple, but don't know if they still are as I really don't follow that trend.
  18. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I think you're mixing up Marinaro with Ian Beharry, who Kirsten was reported to be dating and perhaps still is (I don't know their status).

Purdy is a beautiful skater but just too tall for Marinaro...she would need someone along the lines of Jean-Sebastien Fectau to be successful and he needs someone shorter. It's a shame because they are both talented skaters. At this point, I don't know who I'd suggest either of them to pair up with though. The only current male skaters I can think of tall enough for her would be Mathew Penasse or Samuel Morais...I believe that Morais is knew to pairs, so I don't really know what he would be capable of and Penasse had never particularly impressed me. As for Marinaro, I had previously hoped to see him with either Julianne Seguin or Natasha Purich, but they both have good partners now. I can't think of anyone else who would be at his level.
  19. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Wow, that was great. That is all that I have to say. ;)
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Purdy is such a beautiful girl and skater that its a shame that she is too tall for Marinaro but that's the hard truth. she's not going to get shorter and he's not going to get taller at this point. I just can't see them making the transition to senior pairs successfully but if the do decide to stay together, I wish them well.

If Marinaro does decide to look for someone smaller, at this point he'll probably have to find some junior/senior lady who is ready to make the switch over to pairs skating.
  21. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

I'm not convinced Purich and Tran will work out...but happy to be proven wrong. Yes they are very early in their careers but the 4 jumping elements aren't too solid and they are still tinkering with throws to see what works. In an Olympic year there is usually at least one pair team that 'techs' their way to a clean skate and surprises for one of the spots. Purdy and Marinaro CAN do that as on a good day they can hit all their jumping elements. They don't get GOE on lifts and twists but they can do enough to get difficult base scores...so they have a chance. Consistency and experience can win out.

I just have a feeling the finish order will be MT/M, D/R, L/S, P/M, P/T...but wow what a race for 3rd.
  22. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

I think we've all been saying Purdy and Marinaro are too close in size for about 5 years now, but they've managed to be pretty successful nonetheless. Looking forward to seeing them this week.
  23. Sylvia

Came across this local article published Sept. 28 titled "Matthew Young still feeling the effects of concussion suffered in April": http://www.thewesternstar.com/Sport...the-effects-of-concussion-suffered-in-April/1
    Excerpt:
  24. sequins

sequins New Member

Just saw D/R SP, Eric should be proud that is just a beautiful piece of music. I love it.
  25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's incredibly cheesy. :p
  26. sequins

sequins New Member

Whatever. To each his own.:p
  27. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I love it too. Eric, IMO, is a very elegant male pairs skater which is not common among male pairs skaters. :) And the music is absolutely gorgeous. What a talent Eric is.
  28. Sylvia

"Canadians pairs team Duhamel, Radford pay tribute with short program" (Canadian Press article by Lori Ewing published before today's SP at Skate Canada): http://www.montrealgazette.com/spor...tribute with short program/9078215/story.html
  29. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i agree- i love watching him- he must be one special guy to work with- and quiet too :D
  30. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

95% of the time I am only watching Eric. He's been a favorite of mine since I saw him in junior mens at a Canadian championship a long time ago. Such a gorgeous skater. Wishing him and Meagan a great Olympic season!
  31. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Loved the music and loved the program.......can't wait to see it skated cleanly. They held it together though.......wishing them a terrific skate tomorrow
  32. spikydurian

Feeling sad that D&R missed the gold in SC. Having said this, and looking on the bright side, they did medal though not the colour I want them to get. Better to make the error now than in the most important competition. They still have the time to work out the kinks.
  33. puglover

puglover Active Member

What does this mean for the Grand Prix final - will they have to win their next one to qualify?
  34. spikydurian

I am not sure puglover. I remember reading somewhere that in order to qualify for GPF, you need no less than a 2-2 or 3-1 (ie two second placings or one third + one first placings).
  35. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

A 2nd and 3rd is usually enough, maybe even a 3rd and a 3rd on occasion, depending how many pairs have good results.
  36. blueglass

blueglass New Member

That technical mark is like having cold water thrown in their face. They knew before that they had to be perfect, but it still must be disheartening.
  37. geoskate

Why would it be disheartening? They lost about 8 points on the lift. In addition, they had several level 1 and level 2 calls for elements. Those are things they can fix and which probably lost them an additional 5 or 6 points.

What's heartening for them is that their PCS scores here were about 4 or 5 points higher than they were at Skate Canada last season, at the same point in the season. I'm sure Meagan (who is the mathematician on their team) will know that.
  38. geoskate

One team that seems to be quickly coming together is the new team of Vanessa Grenier/Maxime Deschamps. They have come a long way since their first performances of the short program at Quebec Summer competition and the long program at Souvenir Georges-Ethier. Here's their long program from sectionals, where they competed in junior pairs. http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40420855. They had a score of 90.43 in the long.
  39. geoskate

I like this novice team from Alberta: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40626884.

It's probably best to adopt Sylvia's philosophy for young skaters of just enjoying the skating right now, rather than projecting what could happen in the future, though. It looks like he's just starting to grow to his final height, and she hasn't gone through puberty yet. They're fun to watch right now, though.
  40. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Very nice, thanks for sharing